too many pierces

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
kcarpenter12
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

too many pierces

Post by kcarpenter12 »

is there a way to cut a part without a lot of little cuts. for instance if the piece I am cutting has 10 total pierces, when i do it in sheetcam it creates numerous start points and my parts are not lining up when it ties all the pierces together at the end. any help is appreciated thanks
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: too many pierces

Post by WyoGreen »

I'm not real sure what you're asking. Are you saying that sheetcam is putting more than 10 start points, rather than the 10 it should be putting? If so the only thing that comes to my mind is that you have a bunch of un-joined line segments for each part. In which case you'd have to go back to your drawing program and join them together.

If this is not the case, then maybe a screen shot and what drawing program you are using might help figure it out.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

If you are ending up with alot of cuts in SC that are only line segments and not closed you likely have a problem with the original drawing. I have also seen this happen when the kerf allowance brushes against another kerf allowance in the same cut and creates another closed loop - another cut. Play with different kerf allowances and see if that makes any difference starting with 0 kerf and working your way up. As mentioned in a previous post it would be helpful to know what design-drawing program and version you are using. Also what file format you are using.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I go with Steve have you tried to zoom in on the drawing That is what I did and you see the line is many small line you though were one long on. You may need to figure out how to join them so it is continuous. Another place is corners where they are not joined too.
In SheetCam if you click on contours when the curser goes over a line it changes color if the whole line is not changed it will show it is not a complete line.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

agreed... sounds to me like a "broken" shape, where the conversion to Sheetcam from your drawing has segment issues
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
kcarpenter12
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by kcarpenter12 »

thanks guys I haven't had time to check on the lines , when I do ill get back on here and let yall know what I found out thanks

Return to “SheetCam”