HobbyPlaz. - Want to buy a fancy Table

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
nbman
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

HobbyPlaz. - Want to buy a fancy Table

Post by nbman »

I'm just getting started and would like to have a nice fancy table, but cant quite afford a PCam just yet. I was wondering if anyone could comment on this as a starter "hobbyist" setup? Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Plasma-Cutt ... 270wt_1270
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: HobbyPlaz. Any body have experience with these??

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

depends on your budget. there are advertisers on this site that can get you setup nicely. click a few links at the top of the page and check em out.
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
elkriverfab
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by elkriverfab »

nbman,

I have seen this advertised too.
Looks a little light duty but if you welded up a nice steel table to mount it on, it looks like fun.......

I bet you could burn some steel with it.

Price is not bad.

As long as it is built with easy to find parts and electonics, might be a good choice for a person on a budget.
I am also wondering what others on plasmaspider have to say about it :D
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Beats nothing, My concern would be if it sounds to good to be true it is. That is not near the total cost, you have to buy mach 3 no thc , build your table, etc. A machine is only as good as its support. I myself can not fix electronic problems with my table, if I could I would have built the whole thing from the ground up, will this company be here in 3 years if a board fries? How long after purchase is tech support free, and what will it cost after that?
I would sugest you get in touch with Tom at candcnc. Tell him the specs of this setup and see what he has close to the same. This table has very light motors, I am not sure what controller setup they are using. Toms uses 150 $ pc that are available about anyplace.
I am not saying this is a bad deal, it all comes down to your skill level and comfort on what you want to build. Trust me been there and done that cheaper sometimes cost more in the long run.
Just my .02 cents worth
Mike
PS I am a big fan of building your own table, as much as possible, you know how it works, can do your own repairs and it is cool as hell that you built it.
nbman

Post by nbman »

Thanks for the input. I've been looking around, and even a "kit" with just the parts (motors, etc) that need to be assembled is nearly the same price. I have no problem building my own as far as skill (I think), but by the time you buy the "kit", and spend the time to build it, i'm not sure if you're any further ahead, other than the satisfaction of building it like you said.....I'd love to hear from other guys/gals that have built their own.

I've been checking out candcnc. A 4x4 (Precision Plasma) gantry kit alone is $2500.00, then add electronics, table, software....

I realize its "light duty" for sure, but I'm not expecting to run like a production shop. I'm only a hobbyist that might cut half a dozen pieces a week. As for the table, I have a 4x8 table made i made from 2x4 box tubing and steel plate a few years ago, so it could be easily modified to suit.

Maybe I'll just keep saving up my allowance. :D
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

nbman I built my gantry and the rest of the table, it was posted on here about a year ago with some pics.
The one thing I see is the ebay deal did not say what size the steppers were. I guese what I am getting at is to compare apples to apples.
Mike
PS I built a 4x8 table with candcnc cotrolls with dthc, down draft no water table.
I never kept a exzact dollar amount but it was under 4000$ by a lot including pc all software etc.
Does not inlude plasma
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

From my perspective it is kind of funny that people consider cnc plasma machines that cost $5000 to $10,000 as expensive......as I have worked with the majority of industrial cnc plasma machine builders for 35 years. 15 years ago the lowest cost full featured (CAD/CAM, torch height control) CNC machines were in the $50,000 range.....yet today you can purchase a Torchmate or PlasmaCam or BullTear or a few others....for around $6,000 , just add the plasma system and you are ready to cut.

Computer technology, advancements in air plasma technology (getting rid of the high frequency start) as well as motor and drive technology has all been developed to support this entry level plasma cutting machine market...and I think it is great......I have a PlasmaCam , a Torchmate, and am building a machine using CandCNC parts as well.

Plasma torches like good fluidic motion with maximum acceleration. They also like to pierce at the correct height and cut at a different height.....and variation of more than about .010" during the piercing or cutting will affect consumable life and cut quality. Make sure you think about good motion, height control and table size.....and then go for it!

Jim Colt
bob49
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bob49 »

I bought and assembled a hobby plaz and just love it... there is a thread on here with pictures i'll try to post
bob49
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bob49 »

here is the post --------- Newbiy's diy 4x4 table
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

nbman

Post by nbman »

I had emailed them asking some questions, never got a response.

i decided to go with a candcnc setup and build my own gantry/table.

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”