Do you need to run a dryer??

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
GPWELDING
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Do you need to run a dryer??

Post by GPWELDING »

I have had my plasma for like 6 months only used it with hand held with no issue at all. Im not running any dryer or refrigerated dryer. I recently got a tracker cnc and ordered the machine tourch for my powermax 65. My problem now is that I cant get a nice cut with THC on, if I shut it off it runs great... Turn it on and its like a saw blade cut edge very jadded.. Is this becuase im not running any dry and the water in the lines maybe scewing with my THC??

If so is there a cheaper way to go as fare as the dryers go??

Thanks
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Do you need to run a dryer??

Post by jimcolt »

Moist air is produced in climates with high humidity. The compressor compresses this humid air.....which effectively creates a lot of water in a small area (in the compressor). As this air flows to tools (plasma) and the pressure drops, a cooling effect takes place which causes the high level of moisture in the air to condense....and high levels of moisture get in the torch. An air plasma torch is designed to ionize air.....air is roughly 20% oxygen and 80% nitrogen. When you add water droplets.....changes occur to the plasma gas and the physics that create a high temperature , high velocity stream of ionized air. One of the effects is damage to the nozzle orifice and further damage to the electrode emitter (hafnium). Once the damage occurs to the consumables....cut quality cannot be controlled. Further damage to a plasma system can occur when water causes corrosion on internal metalic parts....such as the air feed tube in the torch and the solenoid valve in the power supply.

If there is no moisture in your air....then the above issues will not happen. Where I live...in N.H., it is very humid in the summer months and very dry in the winter months. I use a refrigerated air dryer...which can remove a couple of quarts of water from my 80 gallon compressor in a weekend. Certainly enough water to cause issues with my plasma system.

To answer your question....no you don't need a dryer. However, if there is a chance that there is humidity in your air....eventually you will have issues listed above. The dryer makes your consumable last longer...and consequently your cut quality will be better. I suspect that my refrigerated air dryer has paid for itself over time in increased consumable life....and less cleanup on my plasma cut parts. It is not just the plasma that will benefit.....all air tools work better and last longer without moisture....and paint spraying with an air gun will be far better without moisture.

Your problem with the THC is likely a setting problem....either the THC is running the torch at an incorrect height (which means that you have to change the voltage setting so that it runs at the correct height) or there is an issue with a gain or speed or acceleration setting in the THc that is causing the torch to oscillate in the z axis.

I'd be happy to help troubleshoot your edge roughness problem. The air dryer decision is yours...and should be based on your observation of the amount of water in the bottom of your compressor tank....which should be checked/drained often....especially during humid weather.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

The biggest change I noticed when I got really dry air (running through a refrigerated dryer and a desiccant filter, and I have an auto-drain on the compressor tank) was that my consumables stopped "going bad". Previously my cuts would gradually get more and more taper as the nozzle wore out. Now, they just keep cutting perfectly until the nozzle and electrode completely give up, and disintegrate. It's kinda scary, the cut "hiss" turns into a really loud sound, there are sparks everywhere and nice green arc. (the copper burning up) :shock:

It's really impressive how long the cut quality remains consistent, smooth, and very little taper now that my air is dry. Also, impressive how long my consumables last before implosion. (Thanks Hypertherm! :D)
GPWELDING
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by GPWELDING »

I went in got a dryer today it was a little better but not much.. Anyway it sounds like I might have a board out so tracker is going to send me out a new one..
Team Tracker
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Team Tracker »

Hi Ted

It is important that at the very least get a final filter installed in front of your Powermax 65. The MotorGuard unit you were talking to us about will work well and if your air is not very humid than you won't have to change your elements so often but at least you have the protection.

In regards to your height control it seems you are having a hard time calibrating it to work smoothly with your Powermax 65 but there is nothing wrong with your control board. This situation is common when customers supply thier own plasma cutter, it doesn't give us the opportunity to calibrate your height control here at the factory and makes it a little more work on your end.

Get those consumables in and give us a call and we will work on your height control settings.

Regards
Reid T
1-800-590-7804
GPWELDING
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by GPWELDING »

Okay Problem is solved with the tracker and it cuts like butter..... Big thanks to the guys at Tracker cnc..

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”