Spindles

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
GoingCustom
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Spindles

Post by GoingCustom »

Some custom spindles for an airbagged, independant rear suspension dually a buddy of mine is building. Cut out of 3/4" with no noticeable beveling. Really happy with how they turned out considering it's the first time I've cut anything this thick. Still needs some holes drilled, tabs welded on, but this is pretty close to finished product. Overall dimension is 16" tall X 8" at the bottom and 6" at the top.

That's a 24" bigrig/semi wheel

Kerf width was dead on - 4.15" diameter
Last edited by GoingCustom on Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Travis
http://www.goingcustom.com
one of a kind gates, fine art and CNC designs
trucks1948
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Spindles

Post by trucks1948 »

Thats a nice cut.
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Eagle Mtn Metal Works »

Hey Travis
What torch did you cut that with? Very nice cut.
Rod S in AZ
GoingCustom

Post by GoingCustom »

Thanks guys :)

@ Eagle Mtn: Miller Specturm 625 w/ ICE-40C torch (bought it in 03-04ish?). 40 amp setting with 35 amp tips, 5" per minute. Think I could have gone with 8" a minute, but it was cutting so nice I didn't want to mess with the settings.
Travis
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Came out great it looks like! 5ipm must of been perfect. The bevel is pretty amazing (or lack of I should say). how did the piercing go?

Nice work.

WSS
GoingCustom

Post by GoingCustom »

WSS wrote:Came out great it looks like! 5ipm must of been perfect. The bevel is pretty amazing (or lack of I should say). how did the piercing go?

Nice work.

WSS
Thank you :) for the circles I decided to just drill them out. 3/16" bit on the 18 volt cordless and some cutting fluid, it drilled the 3/4" pretty quick. For the primary cut, I just did an edge start.

As much as I would like to say it cut that easy to begin with... I cut several 1" squares and a couple circles using edge starts before fine tuning the settings. Also I cut two other spindles out that looked like a blind monkey cut out with an axe. That was with a 40 amp tip on the 40 amp setting as well as anywhere from 1-8" per minute cut speed trying to dial it in. Blew out two tips as well and decided to see what would happen if I put a 35 amp tip on and keep it at 40 amps. and yes, I did make sure I had the 40 amp tips on the first cuts I made lol.
Travis

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”