Camo Projects

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
raven_storm_69
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Camo Projects

Post by raven_storm_69 »

Just a few camo signs I've done.
Attachments
camo marine.JPG
camo marine.JPG (11.19 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
camo_ducks_welcome_36inch.JPG
camo deer scene welcome.JPG
camo deer scene welcome.JPG (31.94 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
bigd420
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Camo Projects

Post by bigd420 »

how did you do that.
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

awesome, is that a water transfer

like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9YtesgL2Y
raven_storm_69
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by raven_storm_69 »

Yes, it's water transfer printing. I've done some deer skulls too that turned out pretty cool.
facebook323
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by facebook323 »

nice camo work

would you mind sending me both files via email

facebook323@live.com

thanks!
raven_storm_69
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by raven_storm_69 »

Sorry, the artwork belongs to the company I work for, I can't post.
bigd420
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by bigd420 »

water transfer????? could you explain more about that and how others could do the same. and could you do say gun parts the same way
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

raven_storm_69 wrote:Yes, it's water transfer printing. I've done some deer skulls too that turned out pretty cool.
holy deer horns, I'll bet that's neat, the whole concept is amazing
bigd420 wrote:water transfer????? could you explain more about that and how others could do the same. and could you do say gun parts the same way
my post above has a link to a demonstration video, or you can search for 'camo dipping', I'm only vaguely familiar with the process, I think it will stick to anything you can put in water but I don't really know about durability or finishing requirements, I never used it myself.
raven_storm_69
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by raven_storm_69 »

It's a really neat process, but time consuming. You have to prime then base coat the piece, heat up the water tank, lay the film on, wait 1 minute, spray with the release chemical on the film that's in the water and dip your piece, rinse, then clear coat (I use a matte clear, I don't think camo looks right glossy). The painting and waiting to dry are the most time consuming. You really have to watch the film to see when it's ready and dip at the right angle too, there's alot of trial & error, but it's well worth it in the end. Yes, you can do guns as well, I don't do the whole gun, just stocks and grips.
raven_storm_69
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by raven_storm_69 »

Finally found the pics of a couple skulls & my .22 rifle (which was my first test run).
Attachments
camo_gun.jpg
camo_gun.jpg (15.51 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
Deer skull 2.jpg
Deer skull 1.jpg
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

I used these for a hi/lo oxy project on my DynaTorch and they worked perfect, I used white and clear although the white would have worked fine in what I was doing.

http://stores.ebay.com/Robins-Eggcetera ... sub=193837

The console legend as well as the gauge markers were done with the water slide decals

Edit: I should add that the type I used is different than the hydrographing link Gary posted. You print your own design on the sheets and soak in water and it releases from a backer with the activator/glue attached to the decal.

That was one awesome video!

WSS
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

wss, that's neat to, is it laser or inkjet, is that washable, is it thick like paper or really thin, do you have enough gauges
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Gary, I used the inkjet paper. Turned up the saturation on the printer driver and it looked good. It is a little thinner than paper when separated from the backer, with the backer it is pretty stiff/thick, one sheet at a time kinda thing.

Actually one more oxy reg would of been perfect, two of the regs are for "auxiliary" cutting away from the table, would a been nice to be able to use a three hose machine torch on it. The CNC side though works great, it switches a heavy/hi preheat to a regular cutting psi when the M04 code is sent out. It used to take 150 seconds to preheat a 1" plate with LP, It was like the maytag repair man watching water boil. Now it will pierce in 20 seconds when cold and 15 seconds when the plate is warmed up.
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

that's interesting, saving 2 whole minutes is a big boost, I'm always trying to save a second here or a second there, and it does pay off

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”