inkscape file's started not opening.

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Jb_engineering
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

inkscape file's started not opening.

Post by Jb_engineering »

hi, this has happened a few times no, and its getting annoying. ive found recently when saving a file on inkscape it sometimes opens, but other times it doesnt open the file, and says "failed to load requested file". is there a fix for this? as i dont want to keep wasting my time on work and saving it for it not to load and have to start all over again.
I have uninstalled and re installed inkscape to the newest version, but having the same problem. Im wondering if i can send the file to a member on here to check if it will open your end?
thankyou and look forward to your response.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: inkscape file's started not opening.

Post by tcaudle »

Inkscpae keeps running backups of files . They are stuffed away in a preset location . You can find that in the Auto Backup setting in the Edit/Preferences. Have had that happen a few times but was able to recover the backup even though it was older . I have had that happen with other programs. I once lost days of work on a CorelDraw file. When it wrote the fiel it created a backup and BOTH were corrupted !

Make a Folder you can remember and get to easy and make it the target to save to
On complex files I will save under a different name then go back and work on the prior one. Another trick is to use the Save As instead of just Save.... When you have a multi-page document with lots of work and time, saving alternating named files is a good insurance policy. I don't know what version of Inkscape or if its Windows or Linux but since I went to 1.3.2 on Linux I don't seem to have any of the problems.
Inkscape_Autosave.png
Inkscape_Autosave.png (31.85 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
Inkscape_Autosave.png
Inkscape_Autosave.png (31.85 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Jb_engineering wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:04 pm hi, this has happened a few times no, and its getting annoying. ive found recently when saving a file on inkscape it sometimes opens, but other times it doesnt open the file, and says "failed to load requested file". is there a fix for this? as i dont want to keep wasting my time on work and saving it for it not to load and have to start all over again.
I have uninstalled and re installed inkscape to the newest version, but having the same problem. Im wondering if i can send the file to a member on here to check if it will open your end?
thankyou and look forward to your response.
Yes - either post your file or pm me with your svg file and I will have a look.
Thanks,
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I have not had that happen yet with Inkscape version 1.2.2, but when I am working on complex manual tracings, I generally manually save every few minutes or so just in case something were to happen.

Also - PM sent. Check your inbox.

David
Jb_engineering

Post by Jb_engineering »

Thankyou for your replies. Ive just had a look, and luckilly as tcaudle says, there is a backup of my file that i have been able to open and rename.
Once again this forum and its members have come to the rescue.
Thankyou so much, saved me alot of work. Will post up the finished item when its made.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Jb_engineering wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:24 am Thankyou for your replies. Ive just had a look, and luckilly as tcaudle says, there is a backup of my file that i have been able to open and rename.
Once again this forum and its members have come to the rescue.
Thankyou so much, saved me alot of work. Will post up the finished item when its made.
:Like :Like :Like

I did check out the file you emailed me and it will not open with Inkscape, CorelDraw, or LightBurn.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

As Tom said I use the save as and will add a few capital letters into the title for a updated file, like drawingAAA.DXF. I also do save most of the Inkscape work in both DXF and SVG formats, when exiting. When using save as Inkscape uses the current directory that you have pulled a file from.
inkscape aaa.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Another really stable file format to use is PDF. 1.3.2 has a better PDF import/export that handles fonts better . Its also a good format to use to move files around between different drawing programs. Its highly documented and based on Postscript type calls. SVG has a little of that type format too . By saving in multiple formats its even a better insurance policy. Just make the LAST save be the Inkscape SVG format.
Pretty easy to do: Open the Save As and lower right select the Portable Document Format (PDF) and save it as that (same name and location just different extension. Then do it again for SVG. Inkscape will prompt you if you saved it in another format and did not save it in SVG .

There are several other features in 1.3.2. Bedsides doing multiple pages gracefully it has a better Snap menu and the Guide Line tool and the Guideline menu work a lot better. It allows you to place a duplicate line precisely in the two planes (X and Y ) and use it to snap objects to . .

While imposting and editing artwork does not typically use Guidelines they can helping the placement of everything form text to inner shapes.

Return to “Inkscape”