PlasmaCAM Genesis Release

Post by rdj357 »

Interesting new development!

https://www.plasmacam.com/genesis.pdf
Robert Johnson
PlasmaCAM GURU & Instructor
FourNinety Creations & Learn PC, LLC
(918) 457-0289 * Robert@490Creations.com
Did I help and you want to help me out? Buy me a coffee! - Thanks!
I am not affiliated with PlasmaCAM, Inc. in any way. I offer training on their equipment and software. All product and company names are trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of their respective holders. Use of them are for nominative purposes only and does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PlasmaCAM Genesis Release

Post by adbuch »

Very interesting indeed!!

David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

I am so glad they finally released the news of the new table design. I promised PlasmaCam that I would not say a single word, or even hint at the new Genesis table release until PlasmaCam decided it was time to spread the news! It was so difficult to keep a lid on it these past few months!

This table looks promising! I like many of the new features. I cannot wait to try out the new software and start making videos!

NO PARALLEL CABLES! :HaHa A new ENGRAVER! Real PIPE CUTTING capability without disassembling the table! A SERVO Z motor!

and just LOOK at the ROUTER they can attach to it! :HaHa

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
16 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

must be getting short of money.... time to lock off all the old software..... charge everyone for new and only sell the ground breaking new tables..... :HaHa

hold on to your hats for the flooding of old obsolete tables and software onto the auction sites.....
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The software will be the same except for some minor changes to deal with the Wi-Fi connectivity and other issues. I will only be able to review the table after I actually get some hands-on experience using one.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

robertspark wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:31 am
hold on to your hats for the flooding of old obsolete tables and software onto the auction sites.....

Plasmacam would do well to offer a kit that allows current table owners to mount the new rails, Gantry, and carriage assembly onto the original DHC 2 table frames. This would eliminate a flood of used tables appearing on Facebook marketplace, and craigslist, and the old gantry and carriage could be turned into a rolling Pipe Cutter on a sawhorse or something. Owners could sell their former DHC2 rails to people who need to replace, old, worn out rails.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Looking much better with the dropped rails and servo Z! They really gotta ditch that awful cable boom though. Curious to hear some real world reviews on it.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I'm perfectly happy with my DHC2 - it has worked flawlessly for over 7 years now. This new design looks very interesting, and I would be happy to try one out if they gave me one. I doubt that the parts quality would be much different between the DHC2 and Genesis - assuming the same plasma cutter is used. But it would be a pretty cool "toy" to play with.

David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

This table has a LOT of changes and improvements, and I am sure it will be a great table! I want to get my hands on one and run some tests to see what has changed and improved. I am especially interested in mounting a laser to the carriage assembly. I have a nice 30 Watt CO2 laser that will mount up nicely.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:20 pm I have a nice 30 Watt CO2 laser that will mount up nicely.
interested to know how you are going to do that as the laser tube is normally fixed and not moveable as I suspect the co2 tubes are sensitive to vibration and movement hence the use of mirrors and lenses

the tubes also have length relative to wattage
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I think he may have been referring to a diode laser or similar, and not a CO2.
David
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

I have seen glass tubes mounted on gantry - I don’t know if I’d bother to try to retrofit something like that setup on this or not. I’d be inclined to build a dedicated setup using a Ruida control and Lightburn.
Robert Johnson
I am not affiliated with PlasmaCAM, Inc. in any way. I offer training on their equipment and software. All product and company names are trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of their respective holders. Use of them are for nominative purposes only and does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Right. It has been so long since I ordered it, I forgot what is in the box :lol:

It is in fact a 30 Watt diode laser. I had to search for the emails when I purchased it to get info on it. It sure was a PITA to import this one from Poland.

The goal was to have a nice diode laser that had a larger work area than those offered by X-TOOL and others. If I mount this onto a 510 table, it will open up all kids of possibilities. Of course, I am now considering waiting for the 4x8 or 5x10 version of the new GENESIS table by PlasmaCam, which would probably be a better table choice for this laser.

I was looking at CO2 lasers at the time, but I was more interested in ease of mounting onto a PlasmaCam table, than cutting ability of the laser itself. I remember finding a CO2 laser, but the cost was too much for a simple experiment, so I opted for this one from OPTLASER.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The laser is on sale right now!

Joe

http://optlasers.com/sale-of-limited-st ... esults=310
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I believe this new GENESIS table could handle the laser with no problem.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I believe it will handle the speeds and accuracy. I don't know that the software, in its current iteration, is ready to control it as well as Ruida + LightBurn.
Robert Johnson
CNC_rowdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Nice, very nice.
Tim
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Advanced Design Edge, Machine Control, Height Control
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
Hypertherm XP 45 Plasma Cutter & Machine Torch
CNC_rowdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Yes, for the fun of it, I forgot to say on this new Genesis machine, no more looking for PC's with parallel ports and getting them configured to work. Also, maybe no more communication errors? As I said, this is just for the fun it post, but I would like to see one in action one day.
Tim
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The parallel port is HISTORY! The communication errors ... yet to be seen. As hard as a company might try to shield a product from errant RF noise, we live in a work where there is a FLOOD of electrical interference from so many different bandwidths and frequencies, that it is probably very difficult to shield ALL of them out completely.

Still, word is, the table will communicate wirelessly from a long distance ... no official numbers yet.

I like the REAL bearings rolling on stainless steel surfaces rather than on painted surfaces that quickly become bumpy and rough. The six inch gantry clearance is awesome.

The carriage may not be able to hold the "shorty" plasma machine torch. We might be required to reinstall the long sleeve to restore the torch to the original length.

I like the fact that it is SHOWN with a large Porter Cable router! The gantry and carriage are stout enough to handle a REAL router now. That is going to be a BIG plus.

I am not a water table fan, but evidently they have provided a water pan that fits nicely beneath the slat grates, so I may have to experiment with this option.

I really, REALLY would like to have seen DRAG CHAINS instead of the swinging boom arm, but maybe this will not be such an issue now.

It now has FOUR identical servo motors, and they got rid of the ACME screw and the "BRRRRrrrr!" Z motor. That is an improvement, for sure.

The engraver in the brochure photo is very interesting too.

I like that the rails are now on the sides of the table frame. No more reaching over the rails, or leaning on them as the table cuts.

They also improved the carriage. It no longer relies on V-Groove wheels for alignment. A set of stainless steel angles rolls through eight bearings!

I think that if I get my hands on one of these tables, I will put it on wheels, so I can move it around more easily. Perhaps a square steel frame base, to keep the four legs in alignment?

I cannot afford one TODAY, but things change quickly for me. I would love the opportunity to review one of these tables.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

FOR NOW, the software is essentially the same, DesignEdge v 4.57. However, some added features are seen, mainly dealing with the settings changes and WiFi connectivity, etc. I have heard that PlasmaCam is planning several updates that may add new features to the GENESIS software, I hope that at least SOME of the 100+ suggestions submitted to Plasmacam will see the light of day :roll:

The former DHC2 tables are still viable machines, and quite capable, of course. Perhaps we will see many used tables pop up online, and it might be an opportunity to buy one and keep the spare parts, if not as a fully operational table.

I want to get a copy of the software, so that I can learn the differences, and begin to add them to my bag-o-tricks!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

1MORECUT
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by 1MORECUT »

There will be a 4x8 kit for this table I have been told.

John
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Great! But I still wish they had incorporated drag chains instead of the swinging boom arm and cables.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

CNC_rowdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Yes, drag chains would have been nice. What about all of us Go Torch guys? A little Genesis Go Torch for use as a space saver with a notebook?
Tim
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

do you think WiFi and plasma is a good idea?

in lieu of a hard wired interface like ethernet
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

robertspark wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:18 am do you think WiFi and plasma is a good idea?

in lieu of a hard wired interface like ethernet
PlasmaCam claims that they have resolved the communication issues, and supposedly the computer can be a good distance away from the table. Although I cannot imagine WANTING the table far away from the computer due to tip ups and other :-o moments that may occur. They say they have solved the GFI issue as well with this magic black box that mounts to the boom arm.

If they truly have established bidirectional, simultaneous, WIRELESS, reliable communication between the PC and the servo motors on the table, then good for them! The parallel cable has lived out its life.

I heard that the gantry is height adjustable, meaning you can (manually? :roll: ) set it at 2", 4" or 6" above the grate slats. I see a potential aftermarket fix that allows the gantry to be raised and lowered via a motorized apparatus, but until I get my hands on a table and SEE how it is made, I will not venture to guess at the method.

The 4x4 to 4x8 conversion kit rumor is interesting.

Their new design for a pipe cutter is also innovative. A cable runs along the grate slats, wraps around the pipe at two ends, and binds a push-pull guide with wheels on it that presumably use the gantry motion to roll the pipe forward and backward. In theory, this would be a great way to maintain alignment with the gantry tube. It also eliminates the need to disassemble the table to get to the gantry for pipe cutting. It is a big plus! However, I see room for a mod to allow much larger diameter pipe to be cut. 8-) The lack of side rails means the pipe can extend over the sides of the table so you are not limited to pipe lengths that fit BETWEEN the rails, as on the older table design.

I can also see an option for extrusion templates that allow you to cut square and rectangular pipe, angle iron, and other shapes as well.

I hear that the table is more powerful, meaning the motors have more inertial forces. So the table should (must? :roll: ) be bolted down to the floor to prevent it from walking. I think I would put mine on a square steel frame with four large caster wheels so it could be moved around as needed. This table might also REQUIRE a grounding rod so the WiFi can handle RF interference. That is only a guess.

The REAL bearings replace the cam followers, and that is also a great improvement. Evidently, they are held in place using snap rings. I wonder how the bearing maintains alignment, being slipped over a tab and retained with a clip. I would think that a round TUBE that the bearing slides over would be a more reliable method of keeping the bearing aligned to its track path. I don't know. I will have to see it in action, up close and personal :wink:

I just bought two more X-TOOL F1 ULTRA laser machines, so I am committed to a purchase over $7,000.00 when they are released in a few days. This was before the GENESIS was announced. I will have to see if I can also afford another plasma table :Sad

We need to give this new table a chance! I think it solves many of the issues that the older tables had, and plasma cutting will always have a place in the metal fab industry.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”