No room in the shop for a cnc plasma table, ideas?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Duratrac85
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

No room in the shop for a cnc plasma table, ideas?

Post by Duratrac85 »

I'm going to be ordering a 4x8 torchmate. I do not have room in the shop for it. I'm thinking of a carport or lean-to for it, but not sure how to handle the cold weather here in Colorado. It will be a down draft table so no water to freeze, but concerned with the electronics. Anyone else have their machine outside the shop?
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: No room in the shop for a cnc plasma table, ideas?

Post by beefy »

Condensation is the killer. It's amazing how things are sometimes drenched with a coating of water in the morning even when it hasn't been raining. I'd put ALL electronics in a wooden cabinet and seal where the wires go through. Foam may suffice. My table is squashed inside a tin shed and I'm not happy with that. I certainly wouldn't want it open to the elements with just a carport. Could you at least add some of those plastic roller screens if all you had was a carport.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
Duratrac85
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Duratrac85 »

Putting the electronics in a sealed and temperature controlled case is not problem. So really it would just be the motors being subjected to the cold. Not sure if I'm going with stepper or servo motors.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Can't see cold hurting the motors, maybe it will make them last longer if they are kept cool :)

My main concern would be rain / moisture. I've heard of people using car wax (or other types of wax) to give their precious linear guides some corrosion protection, instead of using grease which just shouts out to dust, "Hey come and stick on me".
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
cindy carlisle
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by cindy carlisle »

How about renting a storage unit? We have a friend who rents 2, and has a whole shop that he works out of. :D
Cindy
http://www.trucutcnc.com
615-290-6260
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

why rent ? you can buy them cheap.
it would work but be kinda tight.
you can lock it up
but would keep everything out of weather.
and you can lock it up :)
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Most storage units in our area only offers a light receptacle with switch.

Max 15amp.

They say it is due to insurance. :(
Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

buy one of these 20 foot storage containers.
bolt the table down, when you move call a roll back

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by icmplasma85 »

Is it that a 4x8 wont fit or any size wont fit? If you could fit a 4x4, Plasmacam has a way you can index sheets thru the machine. Many people think its tacky, but it works great, saves on space, and it is most likely a cheaper package than torchmate. Even if I was going to buy a bigger table I would still go with the 5x10 from Plasmacam.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder
cindy carlisle
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by cindy carlisle »

We also have a customer who has his in a trailer outside, for yrs now, here in TN. He has a 4x8 table. :D
Cindy
http://www.trucutcnc.com
615-290-6260
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Problem I see is in cold climate even in the storage container you are going to get condensation unless you heat the unit.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
timberfab
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by timberfab »

Burntables makes wall mounted plasma table. Looks cool. Doesn't take much space. I am in no waybassociated with the. Never bought abtable from them. Just think it a neat way to fit a large table in a small space.
Duratrac85
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Duratrac85 »

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I've seen the burntable that stand on end, wont work for me. Mainly will be cutting full 4x8x1/2 sheets.

I may build a carport with the intention to inclose it and insulated it later on. Just keep the electronics in a heated for for now.
timberfab

Post by timberfab »

Not to be nosey, but what is in your shop? Can any of it be made mobile, stack-able, or moved to a small lean to? how about putting things that you only use every once in a while on dollies and roll them away.

I personally would rather have my brand new, plasma table indoors with me and leave my bolt bins, scrap bin, shopvac, etc outside in a locked up job box or storage container.

you could get some cheap used pallet racking and put a roof over it or something along those lines
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

I personally would not leave a table or anything just sitting outside. I would want to have it in an area it could withstand an extreme rainstorm and leaving things outside does not allow for that.

An enlosred trailer like someone else suggested is another idea, and probably better suited for a neighborhood. I would just want it locked very good, that would be a horrible thing to have stolen.

Those storage containers are actually sealed pretty good. You could get one for a few thousand less than a comparable sized enclosed trailer, but it would be harder to move around.

I actually just bought a used Accu-Kut that was operated out of one of these big containers and they put big barn doors on the side to put the table in and out, and it obviously is easier to load material that way. It would be hard to load 8' long material from the back door of one of these things but i guess it could be done if you had a way to slide it in.

You're also not giving yourself much room to work on the table itself in a container. At least that's the issue with mine. It's a 6'6" wide table plus the gantry,, etc, there's absolutely no room to replace anything on the table. A 4' wide table will be easier but it would be nice to have like 2' on each side or so. Heck even getting the table in there can be an issue unless you cut doors on the side.
I would look into one of those storage sheds that they can build and maybe put it in your back yard.
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

I wouldn't have an expensive CNC machine in the elements at all. I sometimes get condensation inside my shop during dramatic weather changes and I get worried. I purchased a dehumidifier to help with that issue. Much too expensive of a tool to take chances.

If the drive gears and ways are mild steel, there will be corrosion issues.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
kbenz

Post by kbenz »

I'd put my table inside and put the other stuff out first.........
CandCNC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Draftsight
Hypertherm 65 machine torch
Millermatic 210
Passport plus
Spoolmate 150
Miller Bobcat 225
http://benzweldingandfabrication.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Benz-Wel ... 468?ref=hl

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”