Cutting Stainless 1/4 and 1/8

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Twisted 1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Cutting Stainless 1/4 and 1/8

Post by Twisted 1 »

Hi all. I have a job coming up to cut some 1/4 and 1/8 stainless plate. I am just wondering if there is anything special that I need to know. I have a Plasma Cam DHC 1 and a Hypertherm 600 with regular consumables. Thanks in advance.
Pete
Twisted Image Customs and Fabrication
Ontario Canada
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutting Stainless 1/4 and 1/8

Post by jimcolt »

Use the FineCut consumables at book specs on the 1/8" for best quality, and 40 amp shielded for the 1/4" also at the book specs. Here are a couple of pictures of one of five signs I cut on 1/4" stainless for in front of Hypertherms 5 machine shops. These were cut on a 4 x 4 PlasmaCam DHC2 machine (had to index the part) with a Powermax45.

Jim
low res pic.JPG
installedsign.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Twisted 1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Twisted 1 »

Thanks Jim. Do I need to use any special gas for cutting. I use the unsheilded consumables 120574 electrode and 120600 nozzle.I have tried the book specs for these consumables and I find that I have to slow down the IPM to get better cut Quality. I can't seem to find the specs for the finecuts. I cut alot of mild steel. Should I be using different consumables. I am not to sure and any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Pete
Ontario Canada
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

You may have to download a new manual if the FineCut charts are not in yours. Your unit may have been built before the FineCuts were available. Use air, and use the shielded parts. The unshielded consumables have nowhere near the cut quality or life of the shielded consumables.....we only produce them because there are a few applications where you get better accessibility (3 dimensional cutting in tight spots) as compared to the shielded parts.

Here is a link to the www.hypertherm.com site for consumable part numbers for your system. You can download a manual here as well.

https://www.hypertherm.com/library/file ... ax600H.pdf

Jim
Twisted 1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Twisted 1 »

Thanks I have a couple more questions for you. Should I use the Sheild 120828 or the deflector 120303 with the sheilded parts, also with the finecuts do i use the regular swirl ring and not the fine cut one. Would the settings for arc voltage be the same for the sheilded parts. Sorry to be a bug. Thanks
Pete
Ontario Canada
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If you look at the consumables on the link I provided, the consumables that work together are all in line. The shield is to be used with shielded consumables, the deflector to be used with unshielded consumables.

Use the same swirl ring that you use with the 40 Amp shielded consumables when using the FineCut consumables. The special Finecut swrl ring is only used when you are hand cutting and need to edge start...it allows the torch to transfer to the plate easier in this situation.

Jim Colt

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”