Which plasma table would be best for a training center?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
certifiedinc
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Which plasma table would be best for a training center?

Post by certifiedinc »

I work for a sheet metal training center. We currently have an Arclight Dynamics 4'x8' plasma table. We are running a Hypertherm Powermax 85 cutter with it and using AutoCAD/Sheetcam for our cuts. We are looking to eliminate the water table and move to a downdraft table. Everything we do has to be budgeted, quoted and approved by the board. I have say in the options we price out, but have very limited experience with other brands. My previous employer used Lockformer tables with Vulcan/Trimble software.

That being said, what would you all recommend for a 4'x8' table. Something that has limited issues, and great support. (we have struggled with support and constantly have DTHC issues with the Arclight)

Thank you for your feedback.
sincityairfx
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Which plasma table would be best for a training center?

Post by sincityairfx »

Check out FastCut CNC at https://www.fastcutcnc.com/ I am a fabricator and painter by trade and with no previous cnc experience I was able to pick it up fast and they are super helpful :Like
Travis Deeter
Custom Painter
Car Builder
Metal Artist
ImageImageImageImage
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

It might surprise people to see me steer you AWAY from a PlasmaCam table. The PlasmaCam, and the proprietary DesignEdge software are awesome. Especially with the new GENESIS tables. However, neither the PlasmaCam tables, nor the software that runs them will prepare a person to enter the world of CNC production.

This is because the software does not immerse the user into G-Code and other INDUSTRY STANDARD practices, so a person who can make a PlasmaCam table SING (like me, for example :mrgreen: ) is basically useless to the industry, when they stand him in front of a machine that uses Mach 3 or 4, and other software that a PlasmaCam user NEVER sees. I would not know where to BEGIN to make a cnc plasma table cut out a 4" square, using Mach 3 software.

As much as I like the PlasmaCam products and LOVE the software, I do not see them as a useful tool in a career training environment. They are great for a high school metal shop where the kids make metal art and things. However, learning to run a PlasmaCam table does not help them in the industrial arena.

I know little to nothing about the other table brands either, so I cannot offer much help here. I believe that the JD Squared tables are nice. Torchmate? Langmuir? ArcLight? Premier Plasma? ShopSabre? Piranha? Baleigh? Hornet? MaverickCNC? STV? Lincoln? Miller? FastCutCNC? Spark Robotic? Eastwood? Ali EXPRESS? :lol: SO MANY OTHERS too!

However, I have heard negative comments about EVERY table brand at one time or another. I suspect that most of the issues amount to OPERATOR ERRORS.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
16 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
elmendalerenda
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by elmendalerenda »

I used to work with the CrossFire PRO from Langmuir Systems, and it was a solid choice for a 4'x8' table. Their support was pretty good, and I didn’t run into many issues with it. Another table I’ve heard good things about is the Weldlogic Downdraft Table—might be worth checking out. Both could be good options if you’re having trouble with the Arclight setup.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Starlab tables are well built and I've had a great experience with support when I was getting started. Even reached the owner on a weekend.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I have actually heard some pretty good things about the Arclight Dynamics tables, and I particularly like that Scanything option that they offer for tracing templates. I would think that the least expensive solution may be to simply eliminate the water table and convert your existing table to downdraft operation. I would also suspect that many of your height control issues may have been a result of your water table.

David
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

How old is the Arclight table? They were my second choice before I purchased an LDR Motion Systems, LDR had a better designed water table and the lead time was way shorter.
I have heard nothing but good things about Arclight support. I would spend some more quality time contacting them and getting your problems solved. Not sure what you mean by struggled with support? I also would not rush to get rid of the water table. It exceeds downdraft by miles. Arclight has a bunch of videos on YouTube or their site for training and help. Have you tried that route?
I am a retired Local 18 Sheet Metal Worker and used the Vulcan Systems at several shops. Their software is for ductworks and fittings and does not work well for artwork type files/environment.
You have a quality plasma table, I would spend the time necessary to iron out the issues.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
elmendalerenda
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by elmendalerenda »

You might want to check out the Lincoln Electric Torchmate tables. They're pretty reliable, have good support, and the software is user-friendly. Plus, the downdraft system on them works well, which should help with your move away from the water table.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tnbndr wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:14 am How old is the Arclight table? They were my second choice before I purchased an LDR Motion Systems, LDR had a better designed water table and the lead time was way shorter.
I have heard nothing but good things about Arclight support. I would spend some more quality time contacting them and getting your problems solved. Not sure what you mean by struggled with support? I also would not rush to get rid of the water table. It exceeds downdraft by miles. Arclight has a bunch of videos on YouTube or their site for training and help. Have you tried that route?
I am a retired Local 18 Sheet Metal Worker and used the Vulcan Systems at several shops. Their software is for ductworks and fittings and does not work well for artwork type files/environment.
You have a quality plasma table, I would spend the time necessary to iron out the issues.
I second what Dennis has said here. He offers some great advise.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

elmendalerenda wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:41 pm You might want to check out the Lincoln Electric Torchmate tables. They're pretty reliable, have good support, and the software is user-friendly. Plus, the downdraft system on them works well, which should help with your move away from the water table.
Although I have no personal experience with the TM tables, I did purchase a seat of the TMCad software a few years ago and do very much like if for certain things. The educational version can be downloaded and installed free of charge to try it out - the only limitation is that it will only save in the .edu file version.

David

https://torchmate.com/training-header/t ... -downloads
tm cad.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I would look at only tables that do not have Proprietary software, the students may not go to work for a company that has that brand of table. Thus would need to be retrained over again. Training should be inclusive not excusive, as should be the CAD and CAM training, it is easier to have some flexibility. IMHO :Yay
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Why the move away from the water table? I like the smoke mitigation and the anti warping of the metal associated from them.

TM is no longer the friendly little company that it used to be since Lincoln bought them out. However their software is straight forward and easy to work with (or it was on the early models) and they do offer a great educational package.
tumbleweed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Need of parts

Post by tumbleweed »

I have bought and used an LDR Motion Systems 4x8 for many years. I am now in need of a stepper motor. Where can I get one since LDR is no longer in business.
LDR 4x8 Water Table
Hypertherm 65 Machine Torch
Sheet Cam
Mach 3
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

It would be best to get the exact same motor you currently have. Is there a label on the motor with some info?

If not I have always had great luck with steppers from Applied Motion https://www.applied-motion.com/s/catego ... 0008sUpGAI
tumbleweed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by tumbleweed »

Thanks weldguy for your reply. I talked to the person you suggested and he couldnt help me, but was a really nice person. Just some more info--the stepper motor number is 60HS100DE06T. That is all that is on the motor-no name or anything. Any other suggestions? Thanks again.
LDR 4x8 Water Table
Sheet Cam
Mach 3
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

check out this site, down about half way is that motor.
https://aktmotor.com/product/60hs-serie ... stomizable
This may be a US distributer
https://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/3x-m ... 95881.html
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tumbleweed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by tumbleweed »

You guys are great. Thanks very much for the good info.
LDR 4x8 Water Table
Sheet Cam
Mach 3

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”