Plug and play THC

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
aarolar
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Plug and play THC

Post by aarolar »

I have DIY cutting table running on Mach 3 and was wondering if anyone sells a plug and play THC package I can buy?
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plug and play THC

Post by weldguy »

There are a number of THC systems available however I don;t believe any will be plug and play. They all require some setup and tuning to get functioning well. Hopefully some others folks on here will chime in with some suggestions for your Mach 3 setup.
aarolar
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by aarolar »

weldguy wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:10 am There are a number of THC systems available however I don;t believe any will be plug and play. They all require some setup and tuning to get functioning well. Hopefully some others folks on here will chime in with some suggestions for your Mach 3 setup.
I don't mind tuning and wiring I just don't want to source parts and worry about compatibility.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

OK, do you already have a motorized Z axis you can control with onscreen or keyboard commands?
aarolar
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by aarolar »

weldguy wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:56 am OK, do you already have a motorized Z axis you can control with onscreen or keyboard commands?
No sir I'm currently using a floating head design with roller balls much like the first table I ran a Koike Duct Master.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Ok, in that case I would suggest contacting C&CNC and ask if they have a Z axis assembly and THC that will work for you. I am sure there are others out there but these guys are reputable and helpful and on this forum all the time helping folks.
aarolar
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by aarolar »

Thanks for the help I'll give them a call, I could figure it out myself but honestly I'm so busy right now I need to be making product not trying to piece together a THC setup. Here's a few shot of what I'm turning out now.
20240509_121757.jpg
'
20240509_102405.jpg
20240509_101625.jpg
'

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

We have not had a stand alone or add-on THC since 2008, We introduced the DTHCIV that is integrated in the XY motion on a three axis machine (full active Z) It allows much better control than a box that sends up and down back to the MACH3 internal THC logic.

At the VERY least you need a way to do IHS (initial Height Sensing (AKA "touch off") and something with enough Z speed to handle cutting thinner material at 300 IPM speeds.

We swtiched from MACH3 to CommadnCNC in 2016 because it offers MUCH higher performance inclining much better tool path tracking , advanced THC features like "Close Loop" and Velocity Anti Dive (VAD) that stops torch dive on corners. There is a LOT more to torch height than just reading some voltage and moving the torch up and down.

Since you are used to less than optimal plasma sitting you might be satisfied with the Promo add-on THC for MACH3 if yours is the older parallel port version of their SD "torch lifter" version that is not a full Z and does not allow Z moves from code . The PROMO 150 is rather slow response and needs the MACH3 internal THC logic but for thicker stuff its better than a drag torch or rollers.

Love to be able to help you but I think in this case its a bridge too far to try and implement our high performance DTHC 5 and the motion control via direct Etherent it is bundled with.

We do have a turnkey "Solution" that includes a 4 axis controller, DTHC5 PWMIIA plasma interface, Prelodaed PC with Software all in a finished case that is ready to run. If you have stepper motors rated at 3.5A then it will drive those directly or you can get new high torq 6202 oz-in motors pre-wired for a few dollars more. Its designed for Home Shops and light commercial where it's not run 3 shifts a day in production.

It does not come with a Z but looking at your table I would not recommend our Super Z II with its heavy duty twin linear bearings and precision ballscrew . Might want to shop for a smaller lighter one but it needs a Floating touch holder with a mechanical touch off sensor and a way to mount a 23 frame stepper .
aarolar
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by aarolar »

tcaudle wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:30 pm We have not had a stand alone or add-on THC since 2008, We introduced the DTHCIV that is integrated in the XY motion on a three axis machine (full active Z) It allows much better control than a box that sends up and down back to the MACH3 internal THC logic.

At the VERY least you need a way to do IHS (initial Height Sensing (AKA "touch off") and something with enough Z speed to handle cutting thinner material at 300 IPM speeds.

We swtiched from MACH3 to CommadnCNC in 2016 because it offers MUCH higher performance inclining much better tool path tracking , advanced THC features like "Close Loop" and Velocity Anti Dive (VAD) that stops torch dive on corners. There is a LOT more to torch height than just reading some voltage and moving the torch up and down.

Since you are used to less than optimal plasma sitting you might be satisfied with the Promo add-on THC for MACH3 if yours is the older parallel port version of their SD "torch lifter" version that is not a full Z and does not allow Z moves from code . The PROMO 150 is rather slow response and needs the MACH3 internal THC logic but for thicker stuff its better than a drag torch or rollers.

Love to be able to help you but I think in this case its a bridge too far to try and implement our high performance DTHC 5 and the motion control via direct Etherent it is bundled with.

We do have a turnkey "Solution" that includes a 4 axis controller, DTHC5 PWMIIA plasma interface, Prelodaed PC with Software all in a finished case that is ready to run. If you have stepper motors rated at 3.5A then it will drive those directly or you can get new high torq 6202 oz-in motors pre-wired for a few dollars more. Its designed for Home Shops and light commercial where it's not run 3 shifts a day in production.

It does not come with a Z but looking at your table I would not recommend our Super Z II with its heavy duty twin linear bearings and precision ballscrew . Might want to shop for a smaller lighter one but it needs a Floating touch holder with a mechanical touch off sensor and a way to mount a 23 frame stepper .
I'm not in need of anything fancy or fast the work I do is heavy fabrication thinnest thing I'll ever cut is probably 1/8 or possibly some 14ga on rare occasions. I also have a oxy setup I use to cut heavy plate.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Ruining a sheet of 1/2" gets expensive.
Good controls support multu-cutting like oxy-fuel and rotary cutting . Then there is plat e marking and rotary plasma. (pipe cutting)
14 ga is thin enough that it needs to be cut at some fairly high feed rates to get good cuts.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”