Plasmcam head holder improvement

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
glgsales
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Plasmcam head holder improvement

Post by glgsales »

We welded a collar with 2 set screws to the trolley underside with a hole the size of the nozzle plus a little extra for brass shim stock to go around the hole.
We also turned down the nozzle length about .125 so when we screw the nozzle on the washer is the stop on the upper part of the trolley clamp. This allows the head to be perpendicular to the material at all times. It also allows for easier changes of tips and no need to reset height unless cutting new material thickness.
This helps keep consistant cuts , with the ability to raise the head for thicker material by adding shims if needed.

Yes the this will cause the gantry to become dislodged if the trolley hits a tilt up or something in the way..i.e a hold down to high, but so far in this enviroment with just me using the plasmacam we ,or I ...lol have had little problem with that.

Hope this helps

Gary

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasmcam head holder improvement

Post by jimcolt »

Heres my PlasmaCam torch mount.....it is a home made magnetic breakaway....uses the Hypertherm Powermax45 machine torch.

Jim Colt
PlasmaCambuild 016.jpg
PlasmaCambuild 017.jpg

glgsales
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by glgsales »

Okay Jim that looks like it should be manufactured for sale....lol
Holly crap!!

Nice work .. I see you have the better commercial gun or tip holder as well. The school didn't go for that for some reason.
So tell me a story on how ya made that work with magnets strong enough to hold that in place and yet be able to break away on impact if needed. Which I might add is genius dude.. ;)

Oh do you think the gun,handle makes any difference in performance of the plasmacam?

thanks

Gary
Oh is that the newer trolley system,or updated model?

jimcolt wrote:Heres my PlasmaCam torch mount.....it is a home made magnetic breakaway....uses the Hypertherm Powermax45 machine torch.

Jim Colt
PlasmaCambuild 016.jpg
PlasmaCambuild 017.jpg
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

It actually is similar to the torch holder that Hypertherm offers on its high end (read expensive industrial quality) torch height controls.....you will notice that one of the magnets was removed in order to make the torch break away easier...it has two rounded dowel pins for accurate relocation in the event of a crash....so you can restart the cut where the problem ocurred.

The torch and plasma system is a Hypertherm Powermax45. You won't find a better cutting air plasma torch......and the consumable life is by far the longest in the industry for air plasma torches.

Jim
dusty
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by dusty »

017.JPG

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”