Charging Before Drawing a Custom Piece

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Cool Metal Works
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Charging Before Drawing a Custom Piece

Post by Cool Metal Works »

I have had a few people stiff me after I spent hours working on a custom drawing. Most of the time I don't know what to charge before I get the drawing completed so I'm having to waste my time on there project just to have them tell me I cost too much or not call back all together. So my question is....Should I charge them a start fee or just eat the time wasted? If I should charge a start fee what is the going rate? Also what is a good way to guess on a project that you haven't even gotten drawn out. Most of the time I take my cut ready DXF file and calculate the cut inches and pierce points along with the time I spent drawing it out for my price. But if I don't have it drawn out yet I don't know how many cut inches or pierce points I will have much less the time it took drawing it out.
I sure hope this makes since.
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Charging Before Drawing a Custom Piece

Post by grindergary »

I charge $45.00 an hour for drawing. In your case, I just ask for a deposit for the job for drawing. I ask for $45.00 and see what the response is. Cleans out the tire kickers real fast.

If they are serious, they will ok it and then I do my drawing and then can get them a quote.

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by JEd »

I just get a rough idea of the price from the size it needs to be, how detailed it is, and how good of a starting point I have (a vector file vs a fuzzy crooked photo of a logo on a T-shirt). From there I wing it. I'll have a rough idea of how long it'll take me to draw up, I'll know how detailed it is, and I'll know my material costs. I don't go by a formula with cut inches and pierce points. I start with the price of my material which I do know and scale up from there based on detail (which is really a rougher version of inches and pierces), and estimated drawing time. I do look at how I've priced past objects and try and stay consistent.

I'll get a yes or no from them before I do any real detail drawing. I don't take a deposit, but I haven't been bitten yet on anything that wasn't minor. Once I do that'll probably change.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I always ask for a deposit for custom artwork, doesn't matter if it's a sign for a ranch or modifying an existing design by adding a name etc. I usually get at least 50% of what I think it's going to cost if it's under $100, tell them the guesstimate is just that, an off the cuff ballpark and it may be a little more, may be a little less. Depends on the size and detail of the final design. Serious customers pay no questions asked, the tire kickers just go "ohhhh ok thanks" and then they mosey on down the way. On inquiries / orders that are via email or over the phone, I tell them the same thing, then when they call or email back and want to move forward, they are prepared to give a credit card as a deposit. I play those by ear and go with my gut feeling, some I take their card and run the deposit, some I tell if you are serious enough to be ready to leave a deposit I ain't that worried about it. I have yet to get stiffed on that whole deal, but I am sure I will eventually. My standard spiel is I need $x to cover my design time and keep you interested, I will apply that to your total. If I am unable to make you happy with a design I will consider a refund depending on the circumstances. If I make 10 different versions per your request and you decide at the last minute none of them work for you, then nope it's mine for my time. I have yet to have to consider a refund for dissatisfaction, but if someone just flat out says man I know I wanted it but then my wife ruined a car tire or my a/c crapped out or some such, I give it back to them and tell them come see me when the cash flow is a little better. I had one guy crawfishing around and I finally just asked him whats what, and he said his fridge died and he was waay low on cash, like $50 short of a new fridge. I gave him his $100 back told him no worries holler when you are ready. That dude has sent me more business than I would have ever made off of him, and he came back in 3 months later with cash in hand and ordered his sign.

Bottom line for me is, I just try to be upfront, honest, and above all FAIR. Everyone that is worth dealing with will be more than happy with fair. You aren't going to please them all, but the majority will be long term customers and be happy long as it's a fair deal. The cheapskates that want you to use your investment and work 2 hours for $10 / hr etc would prob be mad if you gave it to them for free, so don't beat yourself up over the deposit thing. 99% of the people that balk at a deposit never intended to buy something in the first place. I think that is what your gut is telling you, and you are just tired of drawing stuff you know they aren't coming back for to begin with. You can't even get a hat embroidered anymore without a deposit, much less a custom piece of art designed. You will have more time to focus on growing your business and improving your services and your family etc if you just use the deposit to cut through all the BS and get right to the cheese. As everyone knows, every fat rat needs a little cheese. ;)

Shane
Cool Metal Works
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Cool Metal Works »

Thanks for everyone's help. I was thinking I should start getting a deposit but just didn't want to be out of line. Ya'll have cleared that up for me and I'm VERY thankful for the advice. I have the drawing I spent 3 + hrs on, it is of a custom Lighthouse if ya'll want it I'll share it. Maybe one of you guys can use it. ;)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Why not put up a sign that states ?deposits required before work is started?. When you go to the doctor?s office they have signs stating ?payment due when service rendered?. Weather business or hobby your time and material is yours to control, friends you may give to but other should expect to pay. They expect to be paid for their work.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”