Internet quote?

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
MIFab
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Internet quote?

Post by MIFab »

Ok I had a guy ask me for a quote on multiple parts cut out on 5/16 and Im not sure how to give him a quote with out designing it to get total cut length and what not .
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Internet quote?

Post by AnotherDano »

Would you do it any differently face-to-face?

OTOH he may just be looking for a lowest bid to present to another cutter.
Get a deposit for design-time.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
MIFab

Post by MIFab »

The only way I know how to give a quote is to design it out then I can use the spread sheet from here. Then if the person wants it done I then charge design time. I have been way low on my pricing yikes low.... I don't want to be too high cause I'm just starting my business and want the work!
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

If you can get a picture or a general idea of the design, you can give him an estimate quote. Just be sure to clearly state that this is only an estimate and the actual final quote can not be done until the part has been fully designed and properly laid up. If he wants an exact, then charge him a deposit on the drawing / layup time.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Gamelord wrote:If he wants an exact, then charge him a deposit on the drawing / layup time.
Is that pretty normal in this industry. Effectively the customer is paying to get a quote. Do many customers go for that or do most turn their noses up and walk out the door in disgust at the suggestion.

I do think it is very fair but it just seems most trades / services have to quote for free (= waste lots of time and money), or risk not getting any work.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Keith, a lot of panel shops charge for a quote if it's not an insurance job, most tradesmen charge a call out fee which covers their first 15 minutes with no guarantees of fixing the fault.

A lot of what I do is one off type jobs, they always want a price so I give them a budget estimate based on experience for similar jobs. If that's in their ballpark and they want something more accurate I get a deposit to cover drawing time which I take as part payment for the job, if they don't go ahead they own the drawing to take to whoever they wish. If it works out cheaper I give it to them at the cheaper price, if it's the other way I normally agree to do it for the estimate price. As long as costs are covered it's really my time or hourly rate I'm not getting, put it down to experience and move on.

Had my first one a few weeks back that didn't want to go ahead, I didn't have to but I gave them 1/2 of their deposit back and the sample cut (would have only gone in the bin anyway), they seemed happy when they left and thought I was fair. Two days later they came back with another idea for another job which they were happy with and got it done.
Murray
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Thanks very much Murray.

Good to know that about panel shops. It's quite amazing how different industries charge or don't charge for quotes. I don't put repair callouts in the quoting category though. In my game (tight access excavation) it's always, "Can you come and have a look at the job", and it's never close by. Seems the "culture" in different industries determines if quotes are something customers expect to pay for, for or if it's considered ludicrous to have to pay for a quote. All the industries I have connections with (builders, landscapers, plumbers, etc) do free quotes and many complain how much time, effort and money they waste doing that.

This plasma cutting game is looking more and more attractive :)

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
MIFab

Post by MIFab »

Thanks guy's!

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”