Defining the measuring tool

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
exceptional
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Defining the measuring tool

Post by exceptional »

I hope someone will help me understand the pop up screen when I measure a project. It says, something like the following:
29 open paths. This is in the view - measure option.
length - 90 inch
area - 1.5

15 closed paths
length - 25 inchs

Now I wish I had actual numbers but I don't right now. I believe the paths are pierces (44 pieces), the length doesn't usually match what I think it should be. So a good explanation would be helpful so I can price out my products accurately. I'm trying to figure out inches cut, pierces or any other information I can gather from these numbers. Typically I highlight the whole project and try to see what the pop up box says. Is this the best way to measure? Thanks.
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Defining the measuring tool

Post by mdwalker »

You will get better responses if you include the software you are using. I am assuming you are using PlasmaCam or DesignEdge. The open paths are paths where the ends do not connect. For instance a straight line is an open path. A closed path would be a complete circle, a square, a rectangle, ect. Any path where the ends join up would be a closed path. If you add the number of open paths and the number of closed paths it will give you your total pierces. The length is the number of inches cut for the drawing. If you have both open and closed paths you will get a measurement for each. Add these together to get total cut inches. The area is the area within a drawing. If you have a square 4" x 4" the area would be 16 square inches.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
exceptional
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Defining the measuring tool

Post by exceptional »

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. I use Design edge.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”