Nice little e mail-From Harley

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
stray cat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Nice little e mail-From Harley

Post by stray cat »

FYI I got a nice little e mail from Harley today, just to give everyone a heads up
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Nice little e mail

Post by CNCCAJUN »

What did it say?

How did they know about you?

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
conradestrada
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by conradestrada »

post it I am curious!
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I bet they said "great work keep it up".LOL
I stay clear of all the logos and sports teams just to be safe some people get mad cause i wont cut that stuff. Its not worth getting sued over and loosing everything. I warned one guy and he said as long as i change it a little it's ok i said if you say so.
MetalheadRK
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by MetalheadRK »

I've heard they have eyes everywhere. I stay away from stuff like that. Not worth the can of crap you open.
4x4 PlasmaCam
Hypertherm 45
Eastwood 175 MIG welder
stray cat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by stray cat »

I would say some dumbas* turned me in as they had my direct e-mail address, they want all the inventory of goods, I'll see what happens when I e mail them back. I guess it's time to fly low for a little bit.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Sounds like you have a very lazy competitor . . . . or someone that did not like the price you quoted . . . .

Good Luck,
Steve :D
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
drakus
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by drakus »

This sounds so familiar. My brother used to work at the Welcome center Indiana. They hired an outside design firm to design them T-Shits for an event they were having. A few weeks after they started wearing the shirts, the welcome center received a cease & desist letter from HD. They wanted all shirts used or not, shipped to them at the welcome centers expense, plus a percent of profits from them; shirts were for employees so no profit. The welcome center's lawyer replied and said an outside company designed them and if they wanted the shirts to come and get them, they were not shipping them to them. They did stop wearing them and told the employees they were theirs to keep. Needless to say, they went after them as well for illegal use of their logo.

I did do some research on the HD logo/name (A few years back). The name is copyrighted with the - in between the names due to the fact you technically cannot copyright a persons name, last name etc. I am sure, even if you removed the -, they will still come at your for likeness.

I started making mine up with just H-D no wording or just Harley. So far nothing from them.

Wish you best of luck. HD are very protective of their copyrights etc.
--------------------------------------------------
Ted
Pcam DHC2 with the works
PM 30, 45 & 65
Corel Draw X6 - Adobe CS5
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

Companies like Harley Davidson I would say hire people with search engines that look on Ebay, Craig's list etc. looking for copyright infringement. You can become a dealer of their merchandise but go to their website and look at what the qualifications are. You can't afford it!

Dave Hanks
stray cat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by stray cat »

what I sent them back got me off the hook for right now, "these are for my own use and display and are not for sale" I'm glad I never sold one.
Dale1962
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Nice little e mail-From Harley

Post by Dale1962 »

my first post here.
sell customer a paperclip for $30 with FREE H.D. sign. you gave it away according to invoice, did not sell sign.
then send a bill to H.D. for advertising theyre product for them. lol
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

HIYA GUYS Most of us oldsters went through the copyright wars many many years ago. You cannot replicate the designs for "ANY" reason with out expressed written permision. NO personal use or free giveaways as well. They OWN the design lock stock and barrell . And most can be VERY aggressive to defend them as well. ( Wouldn't you ?)

If uncertain just ask them for permission. The worst they can say is NO.

There are companies PAID to search out college and professional sport design copyright violators on the web.

NOT worth the legal fees to fight them as 99.99% of the time you will not win the battle.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

PLUS I am really surprised this site allow copyright designs to be displayed and offered for copy.

Look what happened when people started SHARING copyrighted music.

(;-) TP
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

There's an individual that sells the Harley Davidson logo file on Ebay and has for several years. It's not exactly like the HD logo but it's close enough that I'd bet 99% of folks wouldn't notice the difference. I realize that "technically" it's been changed but, from what I've read, that doesn't make HD any difference. How does he get by with that? Is it because he's not actually selling the cut product?

Just curious.
Allen
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

vmax549 wrote:PLUS I am really surprised this site allow copyright designs to be displayed and offered for copy.

(;-) TP
First of all, this is a great site . . .

Secondly, I see very little "truly" copyrighted material being exchanged on here.

The admin strongly discourages the exchange or posting of DXF files that are obviously a copyright infringement.

This site is in no way similar to NAPSTER, NAPSTER was created and operated solely for that illegal purpose. If you do your research you will find NAPSTER was background funded by the MUSIC INDUSTRY to raise awareness and to create the NEED for the government to step in and pass sweeping laws to keep sites as NAPSTER from popping up. It is a lot cheaper to create and kill one offender as an example than to deal with the dozens that were waiting in the wings.

You do realize that every time the words such as HyperTherm, Thermadyne, Lincoln, Miller, Quincy, AutoCAD, etc . . . are used you should include a disclaimer as to your non affiliation with these registered trade marks, names etc . .
But no one does that, why, because it simply is not done.

My 2 cents . . .
Steve :D
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

vmax549 wrote:PLUS I am really surprised this site allow copyright designs to be displayed and offered for copy.

(;-) TP
First of all this site does not condone or allow the sharing of copywrited images, There are a lot of posts to go through daily and not all are caught right away. Some users of this site just don't understand the concept of not posting art that they did not draw themselves and not posting trademarked or copywrited images. When we do catch these types of infractions they are usually imediately deleted and the person will be warned.(hey mistakes happen) If a user continually posts this type of content he will be banned. If something does get posted and you know it is an infraction of copywrite or trademark please use the report button and we can remove these quicker and easier. This Is a wonderful site and need everyones help to ensure its existence..............All hail the Spider
Brian
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

BrianMick wrote:

(;-) TP
First of all this site does not condone or allow the sharing of copywrited images, There are a lot of posts to go through daily and not all are caught right away. Some users of this site just don't understand the concept of not posting art that they did not draw themselves and not posting trademarked or copywrited images. When we do catch these types of infractions they are usually imediately deleted and the person will be warned.(hey mistakes happen) If a user continually posts this type of content he will be banned. If something does get posted and you know it is an infraction of copywrite or trademark please use the report button and we can remove these quicker and easier. This Is a wonderful site and need everyones help to ensure its existence..............All hail the Spider
Brian
Thank you . . . . thank you . . .
Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”