Height Control Sensor Plasma Cam

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
WTFChuck
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Height Control Sensor Plasma Cam

Post by WTFChuck »

Hey everyone! Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on a GOOD height control sensor for the plasma cam? They told me to make one, but I am having problems with mine. Not really working right, wants to dive down in the finner cuts. HELP Please!
Thank you,
WTFChuck
Wine Country
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Height Control Sensor Plasma Cam

Post by Wine Country »

Chuck, you may be experiencing the same problem I had with my Dynatorch. I replied to another post a day or so ago
with the same problem. My torch constantly dove into the metal when I first started out. I even had a major crash that knocked my gantry off the rails . I mentioned that the head engineer said I need to increase my arc voltage by 5 to 10
volts and slow my cutting speed down by 25% to 30%. It was worked flawlesly since then. I know the PlasmaCam has
THC as this was the machine that sparked my interest in CNC plasmacutting. I don't know what plasma unit you are using,
or if it has machine interface capability,but give this a try . Marty
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Which model PlasmaCam, which plasma? If you have a DHC or DHC2 PlasmaCam....I can help you make your existing THC work as well as any!

Jim Colt
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Loyd »

Jim,
I have a hypertherm 1250 and 380 with a plasmacam dhc I would like to hear your suggestions.
I have had to replace my manual torch 2 times on my 1250 because it would cut "diagonally" through
the material. Just curious as to what causes that. It would cut as if my torch were slanted at
an angle, but it wasn't.
Thanks,
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Lloyd,

The absolute best advice I can give you with the PlasmaCam DHC is to get the DHC2 upgrade kit.....which involves software and motors that improve the torch height control....allowing it to accurately gauge the pierce height before every cut. It accomplishes this using the shield on the front of the torch to make electrical (ohmic) contact during initial height sensing....then retracts acurately to the pierce height..then fires.

If you do one pierce too close to the plate..especially on material thicker than 3/16"....you will damage the nozzle orifice and will cut with a seriously beveled edge (or diagonal).

I have never actually heard of a whole torch having to be changed do to cut angularity issues.....usually it is the above problem....or a bad oring on the torch body, or a worn out retaining cap. Did the torches get sent back to Hypertherm...if so I can look up the return report on them....I would need the RMA number.

Jim Colt
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

Jim,
The torches were returned to hypertherm through my local Airgas distributor it was handled through the hypertherm
rep in our area his name is Mark. The area is central Arkansas. When I replaced the torch all was well. The second time as
I recall the torch head only was "rebuilt" and my 1250 had to have all the boards replaced for some reason. The tech told me
he thought that the damage to my 1250 was caused by the torch. I really don't know. I can't afford to upgrade to the dhc2 at this
time even though I would like to.
Thanks,
Loyd

Do not wish ill on your enemies, plan it.
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Lloyd,

I'll check with Mark Hartness....the Hypertherm rep.....and see if I can trace the issue through Airgas. Something strange is going on....we'll try to figure it out.

As far as the PlasmaCam.....the upgrade to DHC2 will be less expensive than replacing the height control system......and the savings in consumables....along with the improvement in cut quality will pay for itself over time.

Jim
WTFChuck
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by WTFChuck »

I have a HYPERTHERM Powermax30, and the Table is the DHC2. At times I wished I would have know about OTHER tables, seems like I would have been better off with one of them. The support team @ Plasmacam had me mark the "retract Z if contact on cutting", but now the whole time it is cutting it "bounces" up and down. Thanks for all the info guys! I am really digging the people on here, and all who are willing to help. Thanks agian.
WTFChuck
WTFChuck
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by WTFChuck »

Marty,
I had the SAME freakin thing go on with mine. If I slow the cut speed down I will get slag build up on back, I dont want that. Does anyone have a good sensor that they have made for the DHC2? I DO NOT understand why Plasmacam does not supply that part...........
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I don't have any bouncing issue with my DHC2...in fact the height control works pretty much flawlessly. Maybe you could provide the material you are cutting, your speed and height settings....also let me know how you are settiing the height control functions and what consumable parts are you using in your torch. It sounds like a set up issue to me....it the torch is trying to cut too close to the plate and is contacting the plate...it will bounce as you say.

Jim
Ironman
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Ironman »

The head is "hunting" because you do not have the Arc Voltage setting correct.
That "sensor" is not a sensor, it is an electrical connection that closes a circuit when the sensor touches the table.
So, as your arc voltage shift is incorrect, as the machine cuts the tip wants to dive onto the plate. Then the sensor contacts and it pulls up to pierce hight, and starts to dive again.
So says the Plasmacam manual
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

WTFChuck,
Did you ever get your bouncing torch issue resolved? I'm having the same issue. It has advanced height control on DHC2, I check the "Auto Zero Arc Voltage Shift" so it determines the correct setting itself, it cuts and calibrates.

Then later on the torch will start bouncing up and down and hit the material.

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”