In the market for a new plasma cutter

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
chalbury
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

In the market for a new plasma cutter

Post by chalbury »

I have been using plasma for about 15 + years hand cutting, just set up a torchmate 3 table. Currently have a miller 2050 with hand and machine torches (thermal dynamics 1 torch). Have had a thermal dynamics pacmaster 50 for about 15 years, still using it for 1/6 stainless hand cutting, had a hypertherm powermax 600 it gave me nothing but trouble (lemon?) when it cut it cut beautiful, but it had a mind of its own, turn it on and it might cut or it might not, replaced 3 to 4 torches in about 5 years (tech support kept telling me that this was the problem) replaced just about everything inside of it except the main board, sent it back to hypertherm twice, they could find nothing wrong with it, finally threw it into the dumpster bought the miller and have not had any problems with it, but dont like having to keep changing the heads from manual to machine torch as we still do alot of manual cutting in the shop. I want to get a designated machine for the torchmate table and from what I am reading on here most are in favor of hypertherm over thermal dynamics. Looking at the powermax 85, but a little reluctant to purchase hypertherm again because with the previous machine (powermax 600) I did not get any warranty help, spent more on torch heads and internal parts than I paid for the machine, not to mention my time down or my time repairing the unit. I have to do my own repairs as I am located in the bahamas and shipping these machines back and forth is a nightmare (customs on both sides) and expensive. I have been repairing my own machines for over 15 years, currently 4 thermal arc 300 gtsw's, 1 thermal arc lm 300, miller trailbalzer, 2 lincoln 350 mp's, 2 lincoln v 311t's, a lincoln powermig 255 and numerous other machines that have been sold or died over the years, so I do have troubleshooting and electrical knowledge.

I guess this post is aimed more at Jim because I would like to know that if I purchase the powermax 85 and if it has problems I will have a contact at hypertherm that will help me, not just some random tech support gut that keeps telling me that its the torch head thats the problem that I have to replace at my cost, $400 + shipping and 45% import duty.

I would appreciate all input and recomendations.

Thanks,

Charles

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”