Hypertherm Powermax 190C

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Hypertherm Powermax 190C

Post by abmetal »

Jim, or anybody,
What's the pros/cons on the Hypertherm Powermax 190C...older model/newer model, good/bad, onboard compressor problematic or not? I found a used one for $400 and thought about using it for zipping off pieces of sheet metal, etc., little stuff.
Any thoughts??

Thanks,
Allen
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm Powermax 190C

Post by jimcolt »

That unit was built for Hypertherm by Miller.....Hypertherm produced the torch. Because it is designed to operate on a 120 volt power source...and it has an online compressor, it only produces 12 amps of cutting power. It is strictly a sheet metal machine....so anything above 1/8" thick will be extremely slow, and on a good day you may be able so slowly sever 3/16" or maybe 1/4". It is really designed for roofers or sheet meatl as used in HVAC systems. It was a pretty rliable machine...just underpowered in my opinion. Parts atre probably scarce...such as circuit boards, etc.

If you are only cutting thin sheet metal....it will work, although I would suggest talking price down to about $250 or so!

Jim

abmetal wrote:Jim, or anybody,
What's the pros/cons on the Hypertherm Powermax 190C...older model/newer model, good/bad, onboard compressor problematic or not? I found a used one for $400 and thought about using it for zipping off pieces of sheet metal, etc., little stuff.
Any thoughts??

Thanks,
Allen
abmetal

Re: Hypertherm Powermax 190C

Post by abmetal »

Thanks Jim,
That's exactly what I needed to know. Every now and then I have a need for a small plasma out somewhere other than the shop and I thought maybe this might be ok but I think I'd better pass on it.

Allen

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”