Rapid Loss of air inside Plasma cutter...air supply good

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
conz35
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Rapid Loss of air inside Plasma cutter...air supply good

Post by conz35 »

Hey guys I have a Solar 2020 plasma cutter that started acting really weird today. I have been cutting with it for 3 months now without a problem.
First off my setup: I have a 35gallon air compressor...100ft air hose.. Moisture trap...Then 50 ft of air hose that runs through freezer side of fridge to help dry any remaining moisture. Ive been set up like this for about a month now without a hitch.
My plasma cutters pressure gauge will show 60psi as normally but as soon as i start to cut.. maybe 2 seconds it drops to 30psi. and the arc shuts off. Then immeadetly builds back up to 60psi. I tried turing up my air to 80psi and this gives me about 5 seconds of cut time then the process starts all over again... When I disconnect my air from the back of the plasma cutter I get 120psi all day long... cool -dry- air.
Also my moisture trap is showing 120psi and only drops a few psi when i start.
Currently all I have done is remove all the air hose from my freezer.

1. Has anyone had issues like this?
2. Could it be my air solenoid?
3. Any other ideas?

As always any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Thanks for the help,
Mike
jim8014
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Rapid Loss of air inside Plasma cutter...air supply good

Post by jim8014 »

Mike,
Is there a filter in your moisture trap? Sometimes there is. It will restrict flow, but when no flow the pressure will equalize throught the plumbing. Can you hear it leaking inside the plasma machine?
Good Luck!

Jim
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

Has moisture frozen in the line that's in the freezer side of the fridge?
large_time
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by large_time »

abmetal wrote:Has moisture frozen in the line that's in the freezer side of the fridge?
Thats exactly what I was thinking...

I would start by thawing out or swapping the freeze line with the other, then systematically check each fitting.

you can expect a small drop in pressure as your machine kicks on but your indication that your system runs longer with higher pressure indicates that there is most likely a blockage.

Be sure to post up if you find the problem....
Large Time Fabrication

WWW.Facebook.com/LargeTimeFab

"Life is Short, Live it Large"
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

Just curious....did you find the problem?

Allen
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Your Plasma cutter draws somewhere near 6 cfm of air flow at about 100 psi inlet pressure. You can draw that much through 50' of 3/8" id hose without dropping the inlet pressure at the plasma by more than 5 psi. You say you have 150 feet of hose (a lot of pressure drop) as well as a moisture trap (more pressure drop)....I'm 100% sure that the inlet pressure at your plasma system is considerably less than it shows back at your compressor. Install a pressure gauge right at the inlet....you will see 120 psi static (no air flow at the torch) and considerably less dynamic (with air flowing at the torch. You probably also have some ice in your hoses as well.

The pressure reading on most plasma systems is the output pressure between the plasma air system and the torch. It will read differently than the inlet air to the plasma.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
powermaxpressuregauge 001.JPG

conz35 wrote:Hey guys I have a Solar 2020 plasma cutter that started acting really weird today. I have been cutting with it for 3 months now without a problem.
First off my setup: I have a 35gallon air compressor...100ft air hose.. Moisture trap...Then 50 ft of air hose that runs through freezer side of fridge to help dry any remaining moisture. Ive been set up like this for about a month now without a hitch.
My plasma cutters pressure gauge will show 60psi as normally but as soon as i start to cut.. maybe 2 seconds it drops to 30psi. and the arc shuts off. Then immeadetly builds back up to 60psi. I tried turing up my air to 80psi and this gives me about 5 seconds of cut time then the process starts all over again... When I disconnect my air from the back of the plasma cutter I get 120psi all day long... cool -dry- air.
Also my moisture trap is showing 120psi and only drops a few psi when i start.
Currently all I have done is remove all the air hose from my freezer.

1. Has anyone had issues like this?
2. Could it be my air solenoid?
3. Any other ideas?

As always any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Thanks for the help,
Mike

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”