water table additive help

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
rustyhook
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

water table additive help

Post by rustyhook »

i have a 4' x 4' square x 4" deep water table. I'm trying to decide what type of additive to add to the water
to prevent rusting. OR if any is really needed. The water table is S.S. material and I'll only be cutting maybe 2 to 4 hours total a week.

I've read that "Sodium Nitrite" is good and can be purchased on e-bay, about $10 for a 2lb bottle.

Any ideas / suggestions for a newbie ?

Rustyhook
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: water table additive help

Post by I Lean »

Sodium nitrite (rust preventative) and Physan 20 (algae and fungi preventative) have been working great for me--but I haven't tried anything else, so take that for what it's worth. :)
kb3gun
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kb3gun »

I Lean wrote:Sodium nitrite (rust preventative) and Physan 20 (algae and fungi preventative) have been working great for me--but I haven't tried anything else, so take that for what it's worth. :)
I just started using the above a week ago. My slats already started rusting (I've had my machine almost 2 months now) but the nitrite stopped it from rusting further. The 4x4 sheets I cut from no longer rust from splashed water. Nitrite works great. I added the Physan 20 as well. I didn't have any algae or fungi to start with, but it's an added bit of cheap insurance.
-Smitty
Torchmate 4X4 Growth Series w/AVHC
Hypertherm PM45 w/ Machine Torch
Miller Syncrowave 210 TIG
Diverdude
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Diverdude »

I Lean wrote:Sodium nitrite (rust preventative) and Physan 20 (algae and fungi preventative) have been working great for me--but I haven't tried anything else, so take that for what it's worth. :)
Same for me, have had it in mune since april and no rust and no alge.
PlasmaRoute HD 4x4
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

This may not help at the moment but I just got some GreenCut from a company called Lube Corp to use in my
water table that I'm building.

I was looking for something that was commercially made that I did not have to mix or buy chemicals.

I also wanted something that was not going to kill me or give me cancer. Doing some research on GreenCut and looking at the MSDS it is "Green" and not harmful and is said to prevent rust, prevent growth and odors. As soon as I get the table going I will rate it. But so far the research I have done says it will live up to the claims.

you can follow the build and get the info for GreenCut at: www.cncplasmabuild.com
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

Follow our CNC Plasma Build:
www.cncplasminfo.com
Follow our CNC Router Build:
www.cncrouterbuild.com
rustyhook
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rustyhook »

Thanks for all the advise / help.

RH
sjnelcumberland
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sjnelcumberland »

HI
I use solable oil in my water its cheap and my metal does not rust even the dropouts about 1liter per 100l water
regards
fanie
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

I'm building my water table over the next few days, so I'm interested in an additive as well. At over $250 for a 5 gallon can not counting shipping, and needing more than one 5 for the size of my table, green isn't an option for me.

I'm checking out this product: http://weldingsupplies.dynaflux.com/ite ... nt/360-100?

I'll call them tomorrow & get a quote, and maybe do some research on the main ingredient which is Silicic Acid Sodium Salt, but they market this specifically as a plasma table water treatment.

The MSDS sheet looks promising, and the main concern is handling the product in it's granular state. I'll post whatever I find out about the product & price....

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

Good info thanks, I had never heard of that product before, I would be interested to hear some reviews and see how well the mixing and desolving works and if the product stays in solution or comes out and needs to be remixed often
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Called the company today & apparently they only sell through distributors. The product comes in 100 pound barrels, and an initial setup for my table takes approximately 20 pounds. The barrel costs $200 so I ordered one. The product is manufactured by Miller specifically as a plasma water table rust inhibitor, so I think it's a safe product. It should be available at local welding stores if they are a distributor for Dynaflux. They also provide cutting fluids and more, so chances are your dealer may be able to get this for you. If this product ends up being a lifetime supply for me I may sell off some of it if anybody is interested. should be here by the end of the week, so I'll post a review on it once I mixed up a batch and put it in the table.... For the price I think it's a good balance between safety and effectiveness.

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
cutterguy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by cutterguy »

Has anyone asked a swimming pool company about the plas table requirments? Those guys are concerned about much the same things we are.
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

On Saturday I mixed up a batch of the PWT 300 and added it to the table. I had to wear a mask while mixing it up because thee one little sniff I got of it was not pleasant! I figure my table has 250 gallons of water in it, so I started with 12 pounds of mix. I filled a 5 gallon bucket bout 1/3 with water & added the powder. I mixed it up with a paint stirrer in the drill & it dissolved pretty well within a few minutes. The little bit of undissolved granules I dumped in the sump and the action of filling and draining the table mixed them up in short order. When I drained the table prior to adding the mix, I sanded a few areas at the bottom of the sump to bare metal so I could observe if any rust formed. I was at the shop last night, and so far the sanded areas are still shiny, and everything on the table appears to not have formed any rust. Of course it's only been a few days, but I'll post a followup in a week or so.

I paid $199 for a 100 lb drum of this stuff, and I'm probably set for most of my plasma cutting career I think! Thee documentation says to check the PH level every few weeks, and when it drops below 10 to add a pound of mix. I believe the manufacturer offers this mix in 10 pound bags as well, so if you have a smaller table, this could be a good deal. I found out that the company that makes this is actually Milller welding, or at least one of their divisions. So far it seems to be working well..... Once I start cutting I'll update!

oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
brandon350
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by brandon350 »

I tried the dynaflux stuff when I first got my table, I didnt care for it personally, after a few months when ever you would put your hand in it to pull parts, if you had a cut or anything on your hand that stuff would burn :shock: I ended up with a product called water table winners, I gave it a try and it has been working great for two years, it is in a liquid state so it easily mixes. I will post the info when I am at work incase anyone is interested
brandon350
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by brandon350 »

here is that info I was talking about it is actually made by chemical methods incorporated. I have been pretty happy with it, been using it for about a year and a half on a 8 x 12 water table. http://www.chemicalmethods.com/water-ta ... ducts.html
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

I checked out that link the company website leaves a lot to be desired I can't find a clear product or a specific named product or an option to buy. I could not find anything on the chemical "water table winners" where did you buy it?

I'm a couple weeks away from starting to cut with the green cut product in my water table. I think I'm sticking with it for now but I like having options down the road.

Does anyone know what the optimal water ph to keep their table at? I was thinking of using ph as a way to check my water and decide to add water or chemicals as time and evaporation occur.
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Dynaflux recommends a Ph of about 12. When it drops to about 10 or so they say to give it a little bump. I don't really get any kind of burning in cuts with PWT but it does feel slippery. At almost 2 weeks I don't see any new rust. Seems to be working well. May throw some die in just for giggles, but for now I'm happy with it.

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
brandon350
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by brandon350 »

I bought it through my local welding supplier I will post the part number off the barrel when I am at work tomorrow.
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

Wanted to put in an update. I have been using GreenCut for about a month on my plasma table. It has been working very well. We have been hitting it pretty hard with cutting 8 hours a day about 4 days a week for the last few weeks.

I have a bunch of pictures and some videos from the use on the Build website. Here are some links to the videos:

http://cncplasmabuild.com/videos.html
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

rustyhook wrote:i have a 4' x 4' square x 4" deep water table. I'm trying to decide what type of additive to add to the water
to prevent rusting. OR if any is really needed. The water table is S.S. material and I'll only be cutting maybe 2 to 4 hours total a week.

I've read that "Sodium Nitrite" is good and can be purchased on e-bay, about $10 for a 2lb bottle.

Any ideas / suggestions for a newbie ?

Rustyhook
With roughly 40 gallons of water in your table, I would add 2 ounces of Sodium Nitrite, and 2/3 teaspoon of Physan 20.
At pennies to do, it is cheap insurance.
sonofmitch
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sonofmitch »

If you set a box of Floor Sweep Dust Preventatine on fire and throw it in the table to put it out that will prevent rust as well. Not that I've ever known anyone who might have done such a thing.
Mitch :D
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

sonofmitch wrote:If you set a box of Floor Sweep Dust Preventatine on fire and throw it in the table to put it out that will prevent rust as well. Not that I've ever known anyone who might have done such a thing.
Mitch :D

Good to Know, I would have liked to watch the discovery of this great information
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
sundrop45
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sundrop45 »

I use Loctite 16 oz. Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver from Home Depot and a little Bleach to help kill the smell you sometimes get
retiredcpo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by retiredcpo »

what are you using to test the PH level of the water?
Just got in some of the dynaflux stuf will try it out next week
retiredcpo
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

I just went to eBay and ordered some ph test strips. They are very cheap. I got a digital meter a few weeks back it was also very cheap just have not used it yet.
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

www.cncplasminfo.com
www.cncrouterbuild.com
mlinehan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mlinehan »

Plasma Quench is a popular water table additive.

http://stevensonoil.com/plasma-quench/

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”