not cutting a complete circle

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
corncrazy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

not cutting a complete circle

Post by corncrazy »

I am having some trouble with my torchmate 2x4 The shop i work for just got this machine a few months ago they had a repair guy set it up then they had the part time bosses son setup the software and cut a few things then he went off to school and now it has come down to me to make this thing really work. but .. I have never run this type of a machine
I run a cnc mill 90% of the time. anyway im cutting some brackets out but I cant seem to hold a real tolarance. and my circles are not complete I will try to attach some pictures. Image andImage that doesnt look like it worked just copy it into the url
corncrazy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: not cutting a complete circle

Post by corncrazy »

JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

What programs are you using?

Sheetcam?
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
redfarm
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redfarm »

It looks like the same problem I had with my dynatorch. I bought it used and any time it had a circle it would not complete the cut. The guys at dynatorch had me go into the settings and we fouund that the previous owner had set it up to leave tabs, reset to "0" and it was fixed.
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

that was gonna be my guess. tabs 8-)

PM me with details
Thanks
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Looking at the pictures there doesn't seem to be total consistency in the uncut amount which I would think would happen if tabs setting was checked. I'm only a novice but my thoughts are more like a loose or slipping drive gear or motor timing.
Has it always done it or just started ? your last pic seems the worst which makes me thing the drive gear is slipping, if it's always done it I'd think more timing.

hope thats of some assistance
Murray
Last edited by muzza on Wed May 09, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corncrazy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by corncrazy »

I am using a torchmate 2x4 with a powermax 65 by hypotherm the whole set-up is new my shop bought it back in january and they set it up on my bosses laptop and everything was working fine they got a new computer for it and set me up on the machine and it would not complete the circles. I was able to get in touch with Torchmate tec. yesterday and they fixed a few parameters and now I'm good to go again. still not getting the quality I had hoped for. http://www.flickr.com/photos/corncrazy/7164971610/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/corncrazy/7164973088/
the material is .125 carbon steel the slots are .280 and the small holes are .260 any advice?
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

Are you using the Torchmate CAD? What is your pierce delay setting?
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
corncrazy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by corncrazy »

yeah torchmate version 8(newest) pierce delay .2 I started at .1 then the first tec i talked to told me to try .5 that didn't help then the next time I called i got a different guy and he changed a few parameters and told me to set the delay at .2
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

Well I have the antique version...version 2. Anyway the decimal point kind of makes me wonder. I set my delay at 4 seconds (four FULL seconds) or higher, depending on how thick the metal is. Looking at your circles, my first guess was the delay wasn't long enough for the torch to pierce, before it started to move. But when you're doing fractions of a second.....??
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
corncrazy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by corncrazy »

The problem I was having in those pictures has been fixed thanks to torchmate tech. something to do with the m50 setting. I am now able to get full circles but they just are not the quality of circle I require. here is a picture of my most recent attempt. http://www.flickr.com/photos/corncrazy/7166381862/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/corncrazy/7166383100/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/corncrazy/7166383100/ I'm not sure if I need to post all thease links it probably takes you to my flickr page ....
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

I cut circles at half or even sometimes 1/3 the called out cuitting spped. I cut some 3/8 plate this morning with 4-1" holes in it. Turned out great. I right on size, hardly any taper.

Maybe slow down your inside cut speed?

PM me with details
Thanks
corncrazy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by corncrazy »

I have my arc's slowed down to 60% I'm cutting .125 carbon at 80 ipm I could try going slower I'll give it a shot and let you know what happens.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”