Cut Quality

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
sodfarmer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Cut Quality

Post by sodfarmer »

About a month ago my cut quality has went down hill. Cutting 14 Ga CRS I used to get pretty much dross free cuts. I have a refrigarated dryer and a motor guard filter just before the plasma cutter. I have a Hypertherm 1000 with a machine torch and DTHC from CandCnc. Here are my settings: 35 amps, 100ipm, 84 volts. I had used these settings for about a year with good luck. I use genuine Hypertherm consumables and have checked for moisture and I have none. I have switched out the swirl ring and have had no luck. It seems also that I'm getting alot of the red fault lights. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cut Quality

Post by jimcolt »

Which consumables are you using.....shielded or unshielded? What fault liights are coming on......when does this occur? Have you tried a new retaining cap? Have you checked the oring on the torch body?

Jim Colt Hypertherm
sodfarmer wrote:About a month ago my cut quality has went down hill. Cutting 14 Ga CRS I used to get pretty much dross free cuts. I have a refrigarated dryer and a motor guard filter just before the plasma cutter. I have a Hypertherm 1000 with a machine torch and DTHC from CandCnc. Here are my settings: 35 amps, 100ipm, 84 volts. I had used these settings for about a year with good luck. I use genuine Hypertherm consumables and have checked for moisture and I have none. I have switched out the swirl ring and have had no luck. It seems also that I'm getting alot of the red fault lights. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
sodfarmer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sodfarmer »

I'm using fine cut consumables. The light that comes on is the red fault led, the one that has a straight line then goes and then over then down again. The fault occurs when torch comes down and touches the plate and retracts to the pierce height. I'm using a touch and go system. I've changed out the o ring not to long ago. I haven't changed out the cap. I thought @ one time I read somewhere that you recommended a certain cap to use with the fine cut consumables to help shield them. Could I get the pn#.

Thanks
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The retaining cap is different than the deflector (shield)....try a new retaining cap to try to solve your problem. On 1/4" plate you should be using the 40 amp shielded consumables. The FineCut consumables are rated for a maximum thickness of 10 gauge. They may get through 1/4" but expect short life and poor quality cuts.

The proper deflector to use for mechanized cutting with FineCut consumables is part no. 220404.

The light is indicating low air pressure to the inlet of the unit.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

sodfarmer wrote:I'm using fine cut consumables. The light that comes on is the red fault led, the one that has a straight line then goes and then over then down again. The fault occurs when torch comes down and touches the plate and retracts to the pierce height. I'm using a touch and go system. I've changed out the o ring not to long ago. I haven't changed out the cap. I thought @ one time I read somewhere that you recommended a certain cap to use with the fine cut consumables to help shield them. Could I get the pn#.

Thanks

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”