Lead in Spots

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Lead in Spots

Post by Largemouthlou »

Here is a few pictures of my last cutting attempt, this is .060. Even though I was staying at the preset volts looks like the torch got a little close. Main thing is that this cut has very minimal dross but has other problems not pertaining to my hypertherm 1250, cutting with t80 machine torch, using fine cut.

On some of the lead ins you can see where it looked like the torch dwelled to long, I have 0 for lead in delay but you can see the spot on the letters where the lead in was. Using arch .125 lead in.

Also have a few other problems as you can see, cutting on a precision plasma 4 X 8 table with CNC 620 motors with Ron's gear reduction units.

Jim, and gang any input is appreciated :D

1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Lead in Spots

Post by jimcolt »

Overall the cut quality looks great.....but looks like there is some motion oscillation.....could be a little mechanical backlash or may require some motor tuning changes.

For height....do a few tests to ensure you are sensing the plate accurately. Measure the pierce height and cut height if possible without firing the torch. On small parts like these the arc voltage control should not be active...rather you should be relying on the accuracy of the z axis to sense the surface, rise to pierce height...then index and remain at cut height.

Try to get the lead ins a bit longer and in the center of the scrap.

Jim Colt
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

The close up pic has some scratch marks that match the shape of the cut, is that from a test run you did or was the torch dragging something around with it. Maybe a pierce booger got stuck to the cap? If it was indeed dragging, motion would be hampered. The system you have should be capable of line leads instead of arcs and might help some, try a 60 degree in and out line and as Jim said, get it in the middle if you can.

WSS
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

It wasn't from a test run, either it was the shield dragging or some slag, it dissapeared on the last 2 letters..
One thing I will add is that I found the motor tuning were off a little, even the Z was off a hair.. I recallibrated everything before I left but didn't do any more cutting..

I will use this info next time I can get out to the shop.

Thank you very much for the replies :D
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”