1/8th aluminium burning question

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Metalarttech
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

1/8th aluminium burning question

Post by Metalarttech »

I am cutting 1/8 aluminum with a hypotherm 1250.also, I am using the plasmacam software. The cutting speed on the machine is set to 90 ipm. The arc voltage shift is set to .665. I want to know If I can eliminate most of the burning on the metal. what settings do I need to be mindful of besides cut speed and arc voltage shift. I will provide a picture as soon as I can. my boss has a widget that was cut before I worked with him and it has almost no burning. also, it was 1/4 aluminum. so, I am puzzeled how he could get such a clean cut. Please provide me with information so I can bring down most of the discolring on the aluminium from the plasma.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 1/8th aluminium burning question

Post by jimcolt »

Use the 40 amp shielded consumables in your Powermax1250...make sure you follow the specs exactly as the mechanized cutting charts suggest. Use the consumables recommended for the machine torch.

Shield: 190230
Retaining Cap:220061
Nozzle:120932
Electrode:120926
Swirl Ring: 120925

Amperage: 40
Pierce height: .012"
Pierce delay time: .5 seconds
Cut height: .06"
Cut speed: 133 inches per minute

Using these specs exactly....you will get a good cut. Attached are a couple of pics of my cuts on aluminum. The specs are copied out of the Powermax1250 operators manual.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
IMG_0507.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg (48.85 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
IMG_2766.jpg
IMG_2766.jpg (46.02 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
rottenleonard
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by rottenleonard »

Wow if that is right off the table without any cleanup I have a ways to go. Looks good. What settings are you using for .060 aluminum? I have found that speed and amperage don't seem to be effecting it much but i haven't played with cut hight.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The first pic....which is .080" aluminum is right off the table. The second pic is .188 (3/16") and has been deburred a bit...but the edges were clean....no signs of burning.

With the Hypertherm systems a lot of cutting is done on steel, stainless and aluminum before the systems are released for sale....this is too ensure that the specifications listed in the manual are as close as possible to the best cut quality. Of particular importance....torch height and cut speed.

Jim Colt

rottenleonard wrote:Wow if that is right off the table without any cleanup I have a ways to go. Looks good. What settings are you using for .060 aluminum? I have found that speed and amperage don't seem to be effecting it much but i haven't played with cut hight.
retiredcpo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by retiredcpo »

I have alot to learn about this cnc plasma stuff and will probably never know as much as jim
I ran some 1/8 alum on my table a few weeks back I used the 30 Amp consumables with factory settings and while Its hard to tell for the
picutes I think I had better cuts that in jim pics. After all the poor cuts on 14,12,and 10 guage we we very impressed with the Alum cuts They where as smooth as glass. Keep with it youll we it.
retiredcpo

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”