Cut Setting?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Hines011
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Cut Setting?

Post by Hines011 »

Hello All

I a new to the site and we currently run the plasmacam dhc 510 along with a Hypertherm Powermax 600. My question is I am getting ready to create some cut outs using 1/8 sheet of metal and I am wondering what settings I need to keep in my as far as speed, amp, arc voltage, etc. Any ideas that you have would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cut Setting?

Post by jimcolt »

Open up the Hypertherm Powermax600 to the cut charts section (for mechanized cutting, not hand cutting) and all of the pertinent details are listed. For 1/8" I would suggest using the 40 amps shielded consumables....follow the air pressure, cut height and speed settings and make sure your consumables are exactly as listed at the top of the cut chart. You will get a nice cut.

Which torch does your machine have....is it a machine torch or a hand torch? Is it the original PAC123 or the newer RT60 torch?

If you do not have a manual for the Powermax600 you can download it for free from the www.hypertherm.com site, click on download library at the top of the main page, then choose system type (powermax600), then manuals, then operators manual. It can be downloaded as a .pdf file or a .zip file.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Hines011 wrote:Hello All

I a new to the site and we currently run the plasmacam dhc 510 along with a Hypertherm Powermax 600. My question is I am getting ready to create some cut outs using 1/8 sheet of metal and I am wondering what settings I need to keep in my as far as speed, amp, arc voltage, etc. Any ideas that you have would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
rottenleonard
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by rottenleonard »

Do most people just set the air pressure and forget it, or do you adjust it for diferent thicknesses? I have a miller 875 and the book just says up to 120 psi
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Air plasma systems have an inlet pressure range which is usually limited to the cycle range of your shops air compressor....and is often rated from 85 psi to 135 psi (less than 85 is not enough and more than 135 can cause damage from high pressure).....then there is the secondary pressure that must be set according to the plasma systms operator manual. To set this you activate the air flow through the torch (on a Hypertherm this is done by turning the amperage knob fully counter clockwise) then adjust the regulator knob until the pressure is correct...usually between 65 and 70 psi with air flowing at the torch. Plasma air pressure does not generally change with different thicknesses.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

rottenleonard wrote:Do most people just set the air pressure and forget it, or do you adjust it for diferent thicknesses? I have a miller 875 and the book just says up to 120 psi
rottenleonard
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by rottenleonard »

Thanks, I know my old machine (hypertherm 380) had a regulator built in that you would adjust just like you said, But the new miller 875 doesn't have that and on the rear of the machine where the air hooks in it just says ??-120psi I wonder if it has a regulator preset at the factory inside that they just don't give you the option of adjusting. Looking in the manual I can not find a suggestion to add a regulator in line with the inlet hose.
jimcolt wrote:Air plasma systems have an inlet pressure range which is usually limited to the cycle range of your shops air compressor....and is often rated from 85 psi to 135 psi (less than 85 is not enough and more than 135 can cause damage from high pressure).....then there is the secondary pressure that must be set according to the plasma systms operator manual. To set this you activate the air flow through the torch (on a Hypertherm this is done by turning the amperage knob fully counter clockwise) then adjust the regulator knob until the pressure is correct...usually between 65 and 70 psi with air flowing at the torch. Plasma air pressure does not generally change with different thicknesses.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

rottenleonard wrote:Do most people just set the air pressure and forget it, or do you adjust it for diferent thicknesses? I have a miller 875 and the book just says up to 120 psi
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The new Miller has automatic air pressure control (probably a pilot operated internal regulator), the Hypertherm Powermax65 and 85 have had this feature as well since they were introduced in 2010.

Jim Colt

rottenleonard wrote:Thanks, I know my old machine (hypertherm 380) had a regulator built in that you would adjust just like you said, But the new miller 875 doesn't have that and on the rear of the machine where the air hooks in it just says ??-120psi I wonder if it has a regulator preset at the factory inside that they just don't give you the option of adjusting. Looking in the manual I can not find a suggestion to add a regulator in line with the inlet hose.
jimcolt wrote:Air plasma systems have an inlet pressure range which is usually limited to the cycle range of your shops air compressor....and is often rated from 85 psi to 135 psi (less than 85 is not enough and more than 135 can cause damage from high pressure).....then there is the secondary pressure that must be set according to the plasma systms operator manual. To set this you activate the air flow through the torch (on a Hypertherm this is done by turning the amperage knob fully counter clockwise) then adjust the regulator knob until the pressure is correct...usually between 65 and 70 psi with air flowing at the torch. Plasma air pressure does not generally change with different thicknesses.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”