Cutting AR400/500 Machine control error

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
backcountrycutouts

Cutting AR400/500 Machine control error

Post by backcountrycutouts »

When i cut hardened steel like AR400, i slow everything down and re-adjust all my settings to where it cuts the best but i just cant seem to get the slag down like when i cut mild steel. And about 20 min into cutting, my torch just stops and i get an error message that reads "Torch cutting signal was lost. check wiring,power or turn off option". I have checked my ground and even bolted a thicker cable right to the metal, checked all my connections,new tips, and the metal is clean. And i put an air dryer in before my plasma cutter. I dont know what to do next. any ideas or has this happened to anyone else?
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Cutting AR400/500 Machine control error

Post by WSS »

AR cuts just like mild. Use the same settings. If you have to much slag, try going faster. If you have a small amount of hard to remove slag, go slower. One thing I will change when cutting AR or even T1 is to raise the volts a notch or two. Sometimes AR has either a primer like oil on it or is terribly rusty is why, it works on yucky mild too. If it dropping due to lack of air, try lowering the PSI. Most of us cut with too much air pressure, make some test cuts and lower the PSI by 10lbs each cut and look at the quality of each and decide from there.

Just some ideas.

WSS
backcountrycutouts

Re: Cutting AR400/500 Machine control error

Post by backcountrycutouts »

Thanks, AR is so expensive that i try to reduce any waste. So normally all my tests are small straight lines, witch come out fine, but its when i get to a circle or close squares is when it builds up on the bottom. But i will try reducing the air on each cut and see what it does

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”