Fault code 30

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Fault code 30

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Ji I am getting a fault code 30 on my ht pm65 it does not happen all the time but isbecoming more of a pain. I havea desicant air filter inline, maybe its reached the end of its life,
Any other things that can cause this code?
One other question on the 65 the amps can be set from about 30 up to 65
But the tips come in 45 and 65 ratings are there times when you would use reduced amp settings and if yes when and for what.
Thanks today must be ask a dumb question day for me because that is all i have had lately
Thanks
Mike
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Fault code 30

Post by jimcolt »

Mike,

Error code 30 on a Hypertherm Powermax65/85 indicates that the moving electrode has not moved.....the electrode must move to create a short circuit spark inside the torch that ionizes the gas and starts the plasma process. Most often when this code occurrs it is due to low input air pressure.....or low input flow (most often caused by a restriction.....which could be a plugged filter, kinked hose, too small or too long of an inlet hose, etc.).

When you reduce the amperage to a plasma nozzle......you are reducing the energy density in the plasma arc. We have different size nozzle ratings (amperage) so that you can use maximum energy density on different thickness materials. The 45 amp nozzle produces the highest energy density at 45 amps (any higher on amperage and its life would drop)....by reducing the amperage you will soften the arc, and likely get more edge angularity and dross on your parts.

There is nothing wrong with experimenting a bit with lower amperage to develop the best cut quality for a particular job you may be doing. Try to keep the correct physical cut height....and try lower amperage....then tweak the speed to minimize dross (faster equals less dross, but more edge angle). Often....reducing the amperage is the best way to tweak speeds to a low enogh level so that intricate cutting will have better tolerances.

Hypertherm publishes cut charts that we know will work as starting points...these are in our operators manuals. Some customers complain that our cut charts have "too much info" and are confusing.....yet others want more detail and 20 different sets of specs to cut each thickness. In reallity there could be 100 different sets of specs (different amps, different speeds, different nozzles) for each thickness and type of materials.

Jim Colt

Kentuckyfarmer wrote:Ji I am getting a fault code 30 on my ht pm65 it does not happen all the time but isbecoming more of a pain. I havea desicant air filter inline, maybe its reached the end of its life,
Any other things that can cause this code?
One other question on the 65 the amps can be set from about 30 up to 65
But the tips come in 45 and 65 ratings are there times when you would use reduced amp settings and if yes when and for what.
Thanks today must be ask a dumb question day for me because that is all i have had lately
Thanks
Mike

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”