cutting ar500 steel (problem)

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
backcountrycutouts

cutting ar500 steel (problem)

Post by backcountrycutouts »

I just started cutting 3/16 steel and i have everything slowed down and everything was going fine for a few days then my machine would be in the middle of a cut and just stop. I get no signal, devise signal lost,check cable, wiring. So i would reset it, check everything go back and start cutting again and the more i cut the more it just stops. I cant figure it out. Any suggestions.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: cutting ar500 steel (problem)

Post by jimcolt »

Be happy to help......but will need details!

What plasma (brand and model)?
What type of cutting machine, height control?

Jim Colt
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

i kinda had a similiar problem with my setup. after 2 weeks of replacing parts, having the computer looked at, plasma cutter looked at... I replaced my 3/8 ground rod with 5/8 ground rod. And new 1/4 coppper line. Sounds funny, but it worked. i havent got the "external e-stop requested" since.
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
backcountrycutouts

Thanks, i will look into that and see what happens.
rwehavinfunyet
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rwehavinfunyet »

everything i have read on that says it is an electrical disturbance coming from something.
Lisa Davis
Davis Metal & Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/pcplasma
Plasmacam
hypertherm 1000
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

That is the complicated approach.....but 99 out of 100 times when a plasma system randomly stops mid cut it is a momentary issue such as air pressure ( a momentary drop in pressure below 80 psi) or a line voltage fluctuation.....as well as a simple loose connection in an interface cable.

We have a bunch of experts on this site that are always willing to help....but when there is no information regarding the cutting machine brand and model, the height control, the plasma....as well as peripherals (compressor, power, water table or downdraft, etc.) then it is only speculation that we can offer!

If backcountrycutouts could offer this info....the help to solve his problem will appear!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
rwehavinfunyet wrote:everything i have read on that says it is an electrical disturbance coming from something.
backcountrycutouts

Thanks Jim, I have a hyper-therm 1000 with all hyper-therm fine cut consumables. I am running 120 psi compressor that kicks on at 90 psi. No water table or downdraft but i have a 15" fan that sucks out the exhaust from the bottom that is mounted in a tube about 24" out from the table. I have checked all my connections grounds, replaced connectors with copper bolt on connectors instead of the ground clamp. I run about 55 amps on my plasma with the air set at 75 psi. My cut speed is 40, Zaxis speed is 36.6, arc voltage is .67, cutting height is .118.

Sorry i posted a new topic then realized this topic was here from last time. Didn't mean to re-post.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

You need to open the Powermax1000 operators manual and follow the specifications exactly. You are cutting way too slow, and if your cut height is .118".....way too high. Both of these incorrect parameters will allow the arc volatge to rise too high...which will cause the power supply to shut off the DC....

Here are the specs for 3/16" steel from the manual:

Use the 60 amp shielded consumables as listed
Cut Height: .06"
Cut speed about 150 inches per minute
Amperage: 60
Pierce height: .120"
Arc Voltage: adjust so the cut height maintains at .06"

This will give you a good cut. A better cut will ocurr on 3/16" steel using the 40 amp shielded consumables....follow the specs exactly as the cut chart in your manual suggests.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

backcountrycutouts wrote:Thanks Jim, I have a hyper-therm 1000 with all hyper-therm fine cut consumables. I am running 120 psi compressor that kicks on at 90 psi. No water table or downdraft but i have a 15" fan that sucks out the exhaust from the bottom that is mounted in a tube about 24" out from the table. I have checked all my connections grounds, replaced connectors with copper bolt on connectors instead of the ground clamp. I run about 55 amps on my plasma with the air set at 75 psi. My cut speed is 40, Zaxis speed is 36.6, arc voltage is .67, cutting height is .118.

Sorry i posted a new topic then realized this topic was here from last time. Didn't mean to re-post.
backcountrycutouts

Jim, Ok i will try that. I dont have a "Chart Manual" I bought this business used with nothing about charts or settings. All i have is trial and error.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

You must have the Hypertherm operators manual. There are a few different sets of consumables for your Powermax1000 for different materials and thicknesses....without using the manual that has detailed instructions on the proper consumables and settings....you will simply be guessing.

Go to www,hypertherm.com , click on the tab called "download library", choose Powermax1000 as "system type", then click on "Manuals", then "operators manual".....you can download it as a .pdf file. All of the cut charts that guide you through cutting different materials and thicknesses will be in that manual. Proper consumables, correct pierce height, pierce delay, cut height and cut speed will help you produce excellent cuts.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
backcountrycutouts wrote:Jim, Ok i will try that. I dont have a "Chart Manual" I bought this business used with nothing about charts or settings. All i have is trial and error.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”