Mach3- Zaxis control question

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
bob49
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Mach3- Zaxis control question

Post by bob49 »

It's that darn Bob49 again asking silly questions. in mach3 (non dthc) i have full control over my z axis when I'm not cutting, in other words in jog mode, but have no control while cutting. Is there a way to configure so i can adjust z while cutting? you guru's are thinking duh. just push this button. lol some info would be helpful. thanks Bob
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Mach3- Zaxis control question

Post by rock4xfab »

Probably not... you cant do that with a normal non Mach machine. Thats not to say there is not some whipper snapper code guru that could figure it out. But the real question is WHY?
bob49
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bob49 »

Why you ask... with no thc currently (up dating soon) it would be nice to be able to adjust z while cutting, right now i have to set cut height at the hi portion of the cut and just deal with the low spots, so in my case the ability to adjust z axis while cutting would be a huge benefit... Bob
bob49
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bob49 »

man this must be tough one, nobody has any ideas for me? thanks Bob
twicecustom
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by twicecustom »

how about downloading mach2, running it at the same time as mach3. and just using mach 2 for Z Axis jog? I would think it would work maybe?? :roll:
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Benjiman
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rock4xfab »

bob49 wrote:man this must be tough one, nobody has any ideas for me? thanks Bob

I have THC and only use it for .65 and thinner, I have not a had a problem yet. Most of my stuff is 7gau 3/16 and thicker. And that material is not bowed more then the cut height position, and if it is I probably dont want to use it for my product. The Mach 2 usage sounds plausible except mach uses the computer for its Clock.. not sure how the dual use would work. Also when doing thin material I have an extra pc of 3/8 plate sitting on the table I lay that on the side of the thin stuff to help with warping from heat
bob49
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bob49 »

so, Am i to understand that i CAN'T control z while cutting in mach 3 ? i was hoping i could... thanks guys
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rock4xfab »

bob49 wrote:so, Am i to understand that i CAN'T control z while cutting in mach 3 ? i was hoping i could... thanks guys
NO that I am aware. I have the X box controller wireless and I have hit the up buttons during a cut and nothing happens. When the G0 or G1 commands are active it usualy blocks MDI ( manual data input or Jog inputs ) out.
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

Could be wrong, but I think I remember a checkbox that says "allow Z moves even when THC off" or something to that effect. If I'm remembering right, it's something you definitely DON'T want enabled if you're using a THC, but if you're trying to manually control it, it might allow you to.
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rock4xfab »

I Lean wrote:Could be wrong, but I think I remember a checkbox that says "allow Z moves even when THC off" or something to that effect. If I'm remembering right, it's something you definitely DON'T want enabled if you're using a THC, but if you're trying to manually control it, it might allow you to.
That is on the Milling Screensets not the plasma. Again unless you are cuttin gsupper thin material, why bother. I get better cut quality with THC off cutting material thickness from .1150 on up to .375 Peirce at .1880 and Cut at .060 which is .07 less then TD's crap recommendations.
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

Without a THC ? Sure you can, Mach has a function that when active allows you to set up 2 buttons to adjust the Z while in cutting GCODE motion. THCUP and THCDOWN.

WITH a THC, NOT a good idea. You will cause a heap of trouble.

(;-) TP
bob49
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bob49 »

so could you lead me to the set up of them. i'm guessing there in general config? thanks Bob
bob49
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bob49 »

thanks vmax that worked awesome....yeah bob
TomTom
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by TomTom »

vmax549 wrote:Without a THC ? Sure you can, Mach has a function that when active allows you to set up 2 buttons to adjust the Z while in cutting GCODE motion. THCUP and THCDOWN.

WITH a THC, NOT a good idea. You will cause a heap of trouble.

(;-) TP

Where is this function located? I am dragging so bad and going through consumables too fast. No up/down while torch is on and machine is moving. Thanks. Tom
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

you can control the z axis in mach3 while it is cutting you just have to set it to use torch height while not in thc.. And make sure your x axis is enabled and using the right pins and ports.. It generally uses the page up and page down keys on the keyboard but can be do with a remote pendant..I control my z axis when it is running as i don't have my thc hooked up yet.. but i do it manually right now ..You also have to make sure your soft limits are correct cuz if you are going above or below the soft limits it will disable the z axis controls thinking it is about to crash
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

go to config then ports and pins then mill options there is a box for allow thc up or thc down even when not in thc mode it must be checked.this should fix your problem

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”