Joining two lines

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Fastyankee
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Joining two lines

Post by Fastyankee »

When I import a file and group it I end up intersecting lines not joined .see picture . I tried everything I know to do. It dose this to files I import from a DXF .
The first thing I normal do is group the parts than object to path but it seems we’re ever there is an intersecting line they aren’t joined . Extremely frustrating.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
image.jpg
Dirtmotor
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Joining two lines

Post by Dirtmotor »

Maybe you need to change view to outline, then nodes and see whats going on . a screen shot of that would be helpful
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I really can't tell much of anything from your screen shot. But it does depend on the particular dxf format the file you import has. Please post one of your dxf files, along with the name of the program you used to create it, and we can have a look and try to help you. I did provide an answer to your other question about Inkscape "trimming"

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

If you are exporting your dxf from your drawing program as dxf (Line), then it will have all individual path segments when imported to Inkscape. Here is an example. The preferred dxf formats would be dxf (Polyarc), dxf (Polyline), and dxf (Spline).
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
TM Cad dxf export options.jpg
Fastyankee
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Fastyankee »

Thank you for the help I’m looking into how I opened the files and will report back .
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Fastyankee wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:31 pm Thank you for the help I’m looking into how I opened the files and will report back .
:Like :Like :Like
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

The original picture shows the top line is separated from the other ones. if they were joined it would not have the divets at the corner.

In CorelDraw I would select all objects and use the Join curves option which would make them one object again. The test for an object is to use the fill tool, if it shows the color you selected all curves are joined. If no colors fills are visible (other than on the tool bar) then the object is open somewhere.

I'm sure all drawing programs have a similar function.

Yes poly lines / splines can be a real bugger when taking your files to a service center to have them cut on some of their older aka dinosaur machines, ask me how I now this :HaHa :HaHa
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Inkscape is different than CorelDraw in that if it shows fill color - not necessarily all curves are joined. Maybe yes, maybe no. Since the OP posted in the Inkscape section of the forum, I am assuming that they are using Inkscape.

David
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

David,

Thanks for the clarification on that.