3d scanner

Topics related to 3d printers and 3d printed plasma table accessories.
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

3d scanner

Post by robertspark »

didn't know where to put this (mods, please feel free to move if there is another thread that best suits this), but given most use them with 3d printers, placed it here, but they can be used for scanning parts so that you can create interfaces between the two (or more) surfaces.

Think.... engine mounts (that is what I am using mine for presently), but if you had a complex shape that you wanted to create a holder for via 3d printing that could be another option (I'm not into figurines, but this scanner is not really recommended for that as it's better with larger objects (greater than 3" / 76mm)

scan the chassis

scan the engine+transmission

scan the engine+transmission sat within the chassis so that you can fabricate a part / series or parts to fit within the gaps.

obviously can be used for a lot of other things too, but thought it may be useful as another tool to consider using in the future.

https://www.creality.com/products/cr-sc ... _store_1.1

the creality ferret and the ferret pro difference is just the addition of a wifi bridge (means you don't need your phone connected to it / a wire tethered to your laptop/pc)

I've been using mine with my phone at present and it seems quite good (although its early days) and I'm hoping to stitch together a lot of large and small scans of a vehicle chassis + engine and transmission, hence I'm awaiting a new laptop with a separate GPU with cuda so that I can also use photogrammetry (as most of the free software needs a nvidia gpu that has cuda).

I got mine via the slow boat and it arrived in less than a week and saved a bit too.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGMe05J

there is obviously a load of youtube clips on the scanner scanning for fenders / bumpers etc etc.

have fun, happy cutting.

note, its early days for me fiddling with this as an assistive tool that seems to be working quite well, but I'm not done with my scans or stitching of scans together, but it may give you an idea for other applications or to speed your workflow.
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 3d scanner

Post by ROKCRLER »

Thanks Robert, I've been eyeballing them!
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Great piece of info there THANKS and the price difference from the suppliers. What is the file format output, and what software can it be married to?
Is it capable of displaying dimensions of a object, like you were saying "Engine mounts" ect.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

output format is STL, OBJ or PLY
https://www.unionfab.com/blog/2023/07/l ... p-step-obj

the objects are created in the creality software, via phone app (android or iPhone) or pc software, and saved as an stl, obj or ply file

the objects are then merged using the creality software on pc into a combined object and you get a unified object (in STL, obj or ply file format)

you then use the object in another software such as freecad to allow for objects to be created around or from the faces of the objects scanned

I will show a workflow when I get a bit more data scanned and stitched together

measuring can be done from the scanned objects.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Following with interest!
David

Return to “3D Printers & Printed Accessories”