Torch height control problem

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
Daniel DK
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Torch height control problem

Post by Daniel DK »

Hello out there

After turning on my StyleCNC STP1325r plasma cutter this morning, everything was great. The first item cut was perfect but when about to cut the second item, the plasma head made contact with the steel plate the spindle continued to go downward until reaches the bottom of the spindle, then it sounds like the motor continue to try to spin the spindle.

I am at a complete loss on what the problem might be. I've tired to look at the electrical relays and so on and that seems to be working fine.

https://we.tl/t-m2EIh7V6zM

If you follow the link to WeTransfer, there is two videos showcasing the problem.

Hope you have any ideas on what the problem might be?

Best regards
Daniel from Denmark
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torch height control problem

Post by weldguy »

Hey Daniel

Checked out your vids. In the first vid I see a red light come on when the torch contacts the material, I suspect this is visual indication that the torch has touched the material, I do not see this red light in vid 2 when the torch is driven down under power.

I suspect your machine uses a limit switch to tell the controller the torch has touched the material. Does it take a lot of pressure to trip this switch? Why is the red light not coming on the second video?
Daniel DK
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Daniel DK »

Hey, thanks for your reply.
What we know is that there is a "follower" on the spindle that is driven by the motor. The plasma head attachment plate is moved separately on shimes, so the sensor makes contact/senses the follower on the spindle it activates and tells the system that the plasma head is going up and down with the spindle. There is a safety feature, when the plasma head attachment is bumped upwards sudden the spindle should move up and "catch" the plasma head again and then move a bit more upwards. This is, what we think, thanks to the sensor with the red light. This safety feature, is what im trying to provoke the machine to do in the second video were you don't see the red light from the sensor.

So the big problem is that, when trying out an "IHS test" on a plate, the plasma head goes down and hits the plate but the spindle/motor continues downward until it hits "rock bottom" and then we can hear the motor still trying to move the spindle downwards๐Ÿ˜…
Daniel DK
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Daniel DK »

Here is a video of the plasma cutter in action, were you can se that it goes down to the plate, makes contact, goes to pierce height and then cuts. There is also some pictures of the control unit.

https://we.tl/t-YTkkW6IOhz
Daniel DK
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Daniel DK »

There is also only the sensor with the red light on the spindle and then 2 small flip switches that triggers to upper and lower limit of the plasmahead moment and this works great when moving the plasma head. It is 2 umbraco bolts that are screwed into the plasma head attachment plate, which again moves separately from the mount where the spindle, motor and limit switches are placed.

I don't have much experience so I don't know how a limit switch works in this context. As seen in the video linked in the other reply, it seems like it dosn't need much pressure to switch on the limit switch. It is 3mm plate in the video.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Daniel DK wrote: โ†‘Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:51 pm Here is a video of the plasma cutter in action, were you can se that it goes down to the plate, makes contact, goes to pierce height and then cuts. There is also some pictures of the control unit.

Watched your most recent video, looks like it was working very well at that point. All I think of is testing your limit switches for continuity ON/OFF with a multimeter and see if one of them is now faulty. Let us know what you find out.
Daniel DK
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Daniel DK »

weldguy wrote: โ†‘Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:58 pm
Daniel DK wrote: โ†‘Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:51 pm Here is a video of the plasma cutter in action, were you can se that it goes down to the plate, makes contact, goes to pierce height and then cuts. There is also some pictures of the control unit.

Watched your most recent video, looks like it was working very well at that point. All I think of is testing your limit switches for continuity ON/OFF with a multimeter and see if one of them is now faulty. Let us know what you find out.
Hey weldguy

Played around with it this weekend and, the machine countinued to act more weird for everytime i tried something, had a sparky friend help me test the switches, relays etc. And got to the conclussion that the controller is fried๐Ÿ˜… so going to order new one.
Thank you so much for your advice and quick replies, it is very appreciated!

- Daniel
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Oh no! Well that's a bummer. Best of luck getting it back in operation.
Daniel DK
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Daniel DK »

weldguy wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:15 am Oh no! Well that's a bummer. Best of luck getting it back in operation.
Yeah, it is what it issss. Its on the way, fingers crossed๐Ÿคž

Return to โ€œVarious Manufacturers Forumโ€