Neanderthal needs help with multiple issues. Diy cnc

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Ezalyconfuzd1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Neanderthal needs help with multiple issues. Diy cnc

Post by Ezalyconfuzd1 »

Woo-hoo! THC Works! Thanks everyone!
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

That's awesome, glad you got it sorted out and working :Like
Ezalyconfuzd1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ezalyconfuzd1 »

weldguy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:21 am That's awesome, glad you got it sorted out and working :Like
Welp looks like I spoke to soon. Got my enclosure built and everything works but my THC. I'm showing 12.45vts at my A+ and A-. And 12.45vts at my B+ and B- at all times. But then when I press up or down on the THC I get a blinking 0.250vts signal on both A and B side on my stepper motor driver. And my motor goes up if I press up or down button. Any ideas?
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Sounds like it's not wired correctly, double check your wiring from the driver to the motor. The diagram you posted previously on page 1 of this topic doesn't show the connection locations for the 4 wires to the driver so not sure what you used to determine the wiring locations.
Ezalyconfuzd1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ezalyconfuzd1 »

OK this is how it was wired when it was working. I did the same wiring this time and it worked for about a minute, up was up, down was down. Then after a minute or two of use up and down both go up.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Ezalyconfuzd1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ezalyconfuzd1 »

Only thing not pictured is that yellow equals 5vt positive coming out of THC
Ezalyconfuzd1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ezalyconfuzd1 »

The only real things that could have changed (Maybe) is that my power supply on the THC is now 19V instead of 12 like before. Would that change anything? My THC says 7v to 28V input.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Double check your motor wiring, attached is an image showing the 2 coils making up the A and B pairs of wires (disregard the colors, yours are different). If you don't have the 4 wires paired up to the coils properly strange things can happen. A multimeter can help you isolate the 2 coils.
4wireMotor.png

Ezalyconfuzd1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ezalyconfuzd1 »

OK THC and everything else is now working. Turns out it was just a wire loom that was grounding out inside of the cable track.
20240123_122257.jpg

weldguy

Post by weldguy »

That's great! I figured it had something to do with the motor wiring. Well done :Like
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Ezalyconfuzd1 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:25 pm
weldguy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:58 pm Sweet! Always nice to sort things out without seeing the magic smoke so many of us are familiar with.
Lol well maybe spoke too soon. Everything does work BUT my stepper motor driver won't stay on for longer than 30 seconds. If I flip the switches on it it'll come back on for another 30 seconds. I tried switching to different power sources, and also running it through the THC controller. Nothing changed. Any ideas? The blue indicator light shows inside of the driver every time I press up down on the controller so the 5v in parts working, and it's seeing the pulse in, but there's no 12v supply (green light) Any ideas?
That indicates something is overloaded and its shutting down from either getting too hot or from to may amps. If it were shorted or connected wrong it would probably be closer to instant off. You say the THC has a built in Stepper driver? are you using it? (to drive Z) if not is there a way to disconnect it?

How much DC power (total) tot ALL of the drivers do you have. I know 17 size steppers don't draw a lot but it maybe more than you think.

I have to hand it to you , you have a lot of patience and you get a lot of fun out of the "journey" versus the "destination".
Ezalyconfuzd1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ezalyconfuzd1 »

tcaudle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:43 pm
Ezalyconfuzd1 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:25 pm
weldguy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:58 pm Sweet! Always nice to sort things out without seeing the magic smoke so many of us are familiar with.
Lol well maybe spoke too soon. Everything does work BUT my stepper motor driver won't stay on for longer than 30 seconds. If I flip the switches on it it'll come back on for another 30 seconds. I tried switching to different power sources, and also running it through the THC controller. Nothing changed. Any ideas? The blue indicator light shows inside of the driver every time I press up down on the controller so the 5v in parts working, and it's seeing the pulse in, but there's no 12v supply (green light) Any ideas?
That indicates something is overloaded and its shutting down from either getting too hot or from to may amps. If it were shorted or connected wrong it would probably be closer to instant off. You say the THC has a built in Stepper driver? are you using it? (to drive Z) if not is there a way to disconnect it?

How much DC power (total) tot ALL of the drivers do you have. I know 17 size steppers don't draw a lot but it maybe more than you think.

I have to hand it to you , you have a lot of patience and you get a lot of fun out of the "journey" versus the "destination".
Thank you for the input. The issue ended up being the short in the wiring loom for the Z axis.
I ended up being mistaken, the THC had a built in voltage divider or whatever its called to read the raw voltage back from the cutter. Not a built in stepper driver. Once I fixed the short in the loom and rewired the stepper driver correctly (according to the manual) everything has worked great.

I ended up also having an issue later on with the return spring inside of the head for the pilot arch. It overheated and lost its spring rate. So I Just extended the spring so it was preloaded and so far so good.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”