beginer setting up CNC motors

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
NB Forrest
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

beginer setting up CNC motors

Post by NB Forrest »

I am building a CNC plasma and have ordered my drivers, motors, breakout board and downloaded Mach3. I am bench testing everything but my motors are not turning. I have my first motor wired to the breakout board to the x and I'm using the keypad number 6 and 4 to make the motor turn but nothing happens. I have double checked the wiring and it is correct. Does anybody have any suggestions?
kicktillmonday
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: beginer setting up CNC motors

Post by kicktillmonday »

Typically the breakout board sends the signals to the drivers and the drivers turn the motors but you are stating that you have your motor wired to the breakout board. Did you connect your motor to your breakout board?
DIY 4x8 table
Powermax 65
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Normally Mach 3 use the arrow keys for moving the X and Y motors and the page up and down for the Z. Not the key pad with the numbers.
keyboard.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
NB Forrest
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by NB Forrest »

I have motor wired to the driver and the driver is wired to the breakout board. I went over and over the wiring and a friend told me to just disconnect it all and re connect it. That did it. Must have not had a good connection somewhere because it is working now. Thanks, I'm learning all this for the first time. I feel stupid but I have tenacity so I eventually get it. Thanks again.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Don't feel stupid, mistakes are part of learning, and having a second set of eyes always helps. Not many can say I turned on a new thing in my life and everything worked great. :HaHa :HaHa
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
kicktillmonday
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kicktillmonday »

Awesome, glad you have it working. Often it something as simple as the wire being on the wrong side of the screw terminal or not stripped far enough back. Curious how your project works out for you so post your progress if you can and pics are always great.
DIY 4x8 table
Powermax 65

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”