PTM60 nozzle modification

Information on plasma cutting nozzles, electrodes, and other consumables.
bLouChipBlacksmith
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

PTM60 nozzle modification

Post by bLouChipBlacksmith »

I recently acquired a Tecmo UMP105 torch to replace my PTM60, driven by a PrimeWeld Cut60 unit. It uses HT PMX45 consumables and what a very nice torch setup this is!

I had been using PTM60 torch w shielded nozzles and limited success, fighting dross blow back contaminating the gap between the shield and the nozzle tip. As a result, I eventually changed my go-to nozzle to the flat tip unshielded style, at least it was a little more robust and durable given its mass, but still there were frustrating bouts of dross contamination on the tip. So after acquiring the UPM105 torch and immediately realizing the much improved performance, durability, and cut quality of that torch and its HT consumables, and studying the HT nozzle design, I thought perhaps I could experiment with the dozen or so left over PTM60 shielded nozzles that I have.

I used my drill press to spin the PTM60 nozzle while I tapered the tip shoulder to about the same angle as the nozzle conical body, assimilating the HT nozzle-tip design. This proved to be a major improvement for the PTM60 shielded nozzle. I've run several now with upwards of 800 pierces before wear out. Apparently the larger and now tapered gap between nozzle tip and the shield allows for more airflow to keep the pesky blow back dross from contaminating and ruining the nozzle and making for a short life.

I have some photos here of the PTM60 nozzles mods and cutting results: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... pTBwq0jtHE
and photos here of the original comparison between the UPM105 and PTM60 torches: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... GyuYcZRSjT

Enjoy.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PTM60 nozzle modification

Post by plasmanewbie »

I don't have that plasma or torch but this is an interesting find that I am sure will help others. It would be good to post your pics here rather than link to your google drive.
bLouChipBlacksmith
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Thanks. I thought the simple mod was very interesting as well in that it made such a huge difference. The design of the HT consumables though is so superior to the original Tecmo same. The HT swirl ring and electrode look like they are made to make a tornado :), and compared to the Tecmo originals its amazing the latter even creates a swirl jet. But this mod was just an attempt to get more life out of parts I had left over, I'll continue to use them in artsy crafty projects until they are used up. I may still use the Tecmo original torch for 0.6 and 0.8mm fine cut nozzles, flat tips, but I have learned to grind a radius on the edge of the flat tip, making it more like the HT fine cut unshielded nozzle. Most blow back dross gets deflected away and doesn't interfere with cut height or pre-cut torch touch off.

re. photos- I did that to save space on this server and because they are stored no google drive permanently and other link references. Did the link work for you ?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I downloaded the first group, it take a little time to download and un-zip to see each image. :lol:
the second group has many more, did not do that. :HaHa
images number.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
bLouChipBlacksmith
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

ah ha... I think I understand now. Sorry about that. I test its use without being logged into google through my browser, and I'm so use to quickly flipping the default file list view on the google file list page from 'list' to 'preview' that it didn't occur to me others may not do this.
Since there are so many photos, I'll post screen shots and those interested can go to the google link to preview or download.

Here's how you flip the from 'list' to 'preview'...
Screenshot 2023-11-23 083802.png
and here...
Screenshot 2023-11-23 085508.png

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Yes, I was able to see the pics but others may not know what do when they visit your link. Just nice to have the pics here in plain view with no worry of a dead link in the future. Thanks again.

Return to “Plasma Consumables”