Pierce delay and pierce height not consistent

General software related questions should be posted here.
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Pierce delay and pierce height not consistent

Post by @metalman23 »

TJS wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:26 am Does Premier Plasma use CommandCNC from CandCNC.
I am not sure why you have no lead in. I know your slots are small but I try to put a little bit of lead in this helps reduce the lava volcanoes. I only get lava volcanoes with thicker material.
How wide are your slots.
Also, it looks like you are starting your cut at the end of the slot. Start it in the middle area with a very small ARC lead in. Sheetcam allows you to do this. If your lead in is too big it will tell you. You must be on the operation in sheetcam and the ICONs on the to show a "S" I think (sorry not at my table) that denotes start point. Click on it and then go to each slot and you can move the start points with just a mouse click. Not saying this is your issue but I never start my cuts in a curve if I can avoid it.
The reason for no lead in is these are open paths, sometimes I want to make cuts in 16ga sheet, so I can bend it easily to make parts, so a lead in would mess that up

I think on internal or external cuts, I don't have this issue, because usually my lead in will help get rid of any potential delay problem
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

By turning it off do you mean power down or not in the G-code. You can by pass the THC by going from the plasma unit directly to the BOB input, with out the Proma in the circuit. Only signals used would be torch on to the plasma and Arc OK from the plasma.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

I tried a couple different post proccesors, none of them seem to work with the floating head, and they don't probe to find material height, not sure how to proceed here
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

@metalman23 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:43 pm
TJS wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:26 am Does Premier Plasma use CommandCNC from CandCNC.
I am not sure why you have no lead in. I know your slots are small but I try to put a little bit of lead in this helps reduce the lava volcanoes. I only get lava volcanoes with thicker material.
How wide are your slots.
Also, it looks like you are starting your cut at the end of the slot. Start it in the middle area with a very small ARC lead in. Sheetcam allows you to do this. If your lead in is too big it will tell you. You must be on the operation in sheetcam and the ICONs on the to show a "S" I think (sorry not at my table) that denotes start point. Click on it and then go to each slot and you can move the start points with just a mouse click. Not saying this is your issue but I never start my cuts in a curve if I can avoid it.
The reason for no lead in is these are open paths, sometimes I want to make cuts in 16ga sheet, so I can bend it easily to make parts, so a lead in would mess that up

I think on internal or external cuts, I don't have this issue, because usually my lead in will help get rid of any potential delay problem
From the looks of your cuts I don't really see how you would have open paths in your metal for the slots. If you are cutting a straight line then yes no lead in or lead out. I do bends slots also. I do however have a little lead in using the inside offset but not on the ends. I do it in the middle. The width of the slot is contingent on the thickness of the material. If you have file sharing capabilities post your .dxf or .svg file.
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

TJS wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:49 am
@metalman23 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:43 pm
How wide are your slots.

From the looks of your cuts I don't really see how you would have open paths in your metal for the slots. If you are cutting a straight line then yes no lead in or lead out. I do bends slots also. I do however have a little lead in using the inside offset but not on the ends. I do it in the middle. The width of the slot is contingent on the thickness of the material. If you have file sharing capabilities post your .dxf or .svg file.
I'm cutting lines, I can only choose one end or the other for a start point, I can't start the cut in the middle of the line,
TJS

Post by TJS »

Didn't know they were lines, my bad. The second post you denote they are slots. Post the .svg or .dxf if you can.
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

TJS wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:28 am Didn't know they were lines, my bad. The second post you denote they are slots. Post the .svg or .dxf if you can.
I can't post it right now, but it's literally just a file with several 1/2" long lines,
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

weldguy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:41 am A cheater solution to the pierce delay issue would be to increase the pierce delay to the point where it delays long enough for all your cuts. This may cause it to pierce a little too long on the 1st pierce, but it sounds like the delay issue is only during post flow so it will at least do all your consecutive cuts correctly and you can get your piece done.
Did you try my cheater solution above and increase the pierce delay time just enough?
@metalman23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by @metalman23 »

weldguy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:15 am
weldguy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:41 am A cheater solution to the pierce delay issue would be to increase the pierce delay to the point where it delays long enough for all your cuts. This may cause it to pierce a little too long on the 1st pierce, but it sounds like the delay issue is only during post flow so it will at least do all your consecutive cuts correctly and you can get your piece done.
Did you try my cheater solution above and increase the pierce delay time just enough?
I did, that does seem to work pretty well, but it forces all the pierce delays to be one second, which somehow is the minimum allowed
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Ya it's not a perfect solution but to get the job done is always good.

I am confused though because when you started your pierce delay was less than a second, 0.15 sec but now 1.0 sec is the minimum allowed?

Important thing is you were able to make it work :Like

Return to “General Discussion”