Pricing, Gathering needed items & discussing my 1st table build

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Pricing, Gathering needed items & discussing my 1st table build

Post by acourtjester »

Hint you can also use an auto/truck AC condenser, just flush it out good. It may be larger then an trans cooler, good old auto scrap yard maybe $10.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:49 pm Hint you can also use an auto/truck AC condenser, just flush it out good. It may be larger then an trans cooler, good old auto scrap yard maybe $10.
maybe you benefit from the good old boys pricing where you live. I’d have to multiply that price by 4x to 5x then add in tax, core charge, environmental fees plus $2.00 gate fee just to go look in the yards near me and it’s looking more like $55+ For some dirty used taking a gamble on cooler. Good idea if the price is right but after time spent, costs associated cleaning etc I’d rather just buy one ready to go knowing it fits the application perfectly :)
AEABDD7A-6980-44A3-B1AA-C0C1AA96CF48.png
1BE8ED0A-DB25-4758-8AF3-131A8DAC06AB.png

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I'm happy I don't live there, I cannot stand it when they think every thing they have is gold, when if goes to the crusher they maybe 5 cents for the part. Well at least you can check on line for pricing.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Took a pic of the belt cover/cooling shroud to the 60 gal Husky compressor. I think the Derale 15300 16 tube transmission cooler will fit just right. I might need to fabricate another shroud to stand the cooler out a bit from the plastic compressor shroud so the hot trans cool radiator don't melt the compressor shroud.

Oh yeah, the 80x120-08 extruded aluminum beam is on the truck out for delivery :)

SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

You can normally buy new at Jegs for what a salvage yard gets on used parts:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60385/10002/-1
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Thank you Sego, yeah the one I have in my Amazon cart is better imo for not a whole lot more. 16 tube double core.

SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

N2,
Are you good on pressure rating with that one? A little search time normally saves you big $ on all things in life..
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

I had not researched the psi rating but that is not a bad idea. Thank you :)

There are so many YouTube videos of this exact cooler being used on the same compressor. I just assumed it was safe.

Lots of Amazon reviews giving it praise being used as an air compressor aftercooler as well.

I was not able to find a psi rating on Amazon. It is suppose to be made in USA so maybe I can find the manufacture and reach out to them.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Ok found them online and it looks good with a 250 psi work rating and 300 psi burst rating. Specs are at the bottom last line in the pic.

https://derale.com/product-footer/fluid ... 8an-detail

SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

This has AN type fittings be sure to order the correct adapters, I like to use hydraulic hose with a swivel female JIC on the ends. Out of curiosity what is the humidity where you live?
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Humidity is mild and normally low. There was one time when I drained the tank “had not been checking it and I got quite a bit of water out of it so i’ve been more diligent with checking the manual drain on the bottom at least once a day when in use, usually after it has cycled off and had time for the ,moisture to accumulate at the bottom drain.

I’d love to be able to afford all the bells and whistles like Timed auto drains etc. dang priorities always getting in the way ;)
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:17 pm This has AN type fittings be sure to order the correct adapters, I like to use hydraulic hose with a swivel female JIC on the ends. Out of curiosity what is the humidity where you live?
one of the videos I watched about this product a guy mentions the AN-8 fitting is near identical to a hydraulic JIC fitting. I’ll look at all of that once I get it in my hands. It’ll probably be a while but for now it’s in the cart and on my shopping list. I know I’ll forget about it if I don’t have bread crumbs to lead me back to what I was thinking ;)
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

I live in the NW corner of kommieRado in the hi desert, I have run for years with no cooler / chiller just an automatic drain and have no moisture problems. The motoguard filter as well as the factory filter / settling bowl show no signs of contamination.

This looks like the one that came on my 20hp Eaton compressor :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235289887663?h ... BMoLTWw_xi

I would get the table going before worrying about the air going into it..
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

I still need dry air for hand cutting with the plasma cutter regardless and i'd rather catch the moisture before entering the tank. After the cooler I might use and auto drain filter thing before the air returns to the tank. The dryer the air is in the tank the better. I also have another 60 gal tank I want to add to this one so I have more volume of air for sand/media blasting etc. Then I might try to build a desiccant dryer out of a house style water filter as well like the one Tom made before the air goes through the motorguard filter.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Extruded aluminum arrived with a small ding/blemish :(
20231118_165949.jpg
20231118_165937.jpg
20231118_165916.jpg
20231118_165858.jpg
20231118_165731.jpg

N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

I just pulled the trigger on that Derale 15300 air cooler and the plastic zip tie mounting kit in addition to some 0.30 INE welding wire, 12 pack of Markal Silverstreak metal marking pencils and a 2 pack of Energizer Lithion 2450 welding hood batteries. Got it all on the Amazon credit so it won't hurt as much stretched out over 6 months with zero interest. That comes to roughly $30 a month.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Looks like your getting close to a build, thats awesome. Best of luck, will be following.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Yes I’m getting all the nuts and bolts so to speak together and still studying different builds and electronics before making any final decisions. Thank you :)

I just watched this video on the Tormach 1300PL table and they have implemented some good ideas that I was thinking of doing on my table for a while now. Most noted is the cable tie system they use to prevent the torch breakaway from falling too far in the event of a torch collision. It gives me a better perspective of a good location and how to wire up the stainless steel cable to the magnetic breakaway THC.

I also gleaned some of their water table design and like how it is adjustable for leveling the water in the pan. I don’t like having the water pan sitting up higher than the frame. It seems like a good way to damage a water pan when dealing with heavy plate. I want my water pan to be at or slightly just below the top of the table frame to prevent water table pan side wall damage. Though I’m not so sure having and adjustable height water pan would be best when it comes to maintaining a sturdy pan when cutting heavy plate in the 1/2” range.

Another Tormach video with little tidbits of info

N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

One thing I noticed about the Tormach 1300PL which I am not educated enough about yet is how they are mounting the electronics control box and computer system to the table.

I’m under the impression it is best to keep the plasma power supply source away from the table and keep the rest of the electronics away from the table as well. It has been said this is to keep the electronics controlls for motion shielded away from the table to reduce the chances of plasma induced EMI.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

If you use shielded cable for the motors and other signal cable that is not a big problem. Also using the input power ground for plasma power too.
I use aviation connecters with enough pins to have the shield pass through into the controller for the motor and signal cables. Having the Plasma torch cable separate for the other cables too. Some manufactures have the controller box mounted directly to the table.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Yeah the plasma cutter will have a earth ground through the 240v power plug at the wall socket and the computer and CNC controlls cabinet will have earth ground through the 120v power plug wall socket.

I am also under the impression it is best to use an Earth grounding rod 4 to 8’ long as close to the table as possible and have everything grounded to that via a heavy gauge wire that extends to a star grounding point where all the shielding grounds are connected.

I am aware that it is not good to make a grounding loop but am uncertain what would make a grounding loop.
Last edited by N2 Welding on Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

You meed a separate ground rod from a common ground point and the cable to the rod needs to be as big as your work lead cable from the plasma unit.

805400r0.pdf

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

the shield in a cable needs to only attached at the controller end, if you also connect a ground at the motor end then you have a loop. Grounds should be to one point not many points.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Thanks guys :)
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

just spoke with Carly at FT about the damage on the extruded aluminum. need to document this so I don't forget her name and the time I spoke to her about it. I'm suppose to get an email to reply to with pictures of the damage.

Edit: Carly is very nice and professional and she is on it wasting no time taking care of the problem.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”