Compare laser to hypertherm 1250 cut

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Compare laser to hypertherm 1250 cut

Post by Loyd »

I used to get most of my parts laser cut, but in order to save $$ in my manufacturing I purchased a PlasmaCam about 4 years ago. I first bought a Hypertherm 380 to cut some of the smaller parts. I quickly realized that I could use a larger unit so I purchased a 1250. While cutting some 3/16 parts today I found one of the old laser cut parts and thought I would compare the cuts. So.....here goes. the part on the left is laser cut. The picture was taken with my Lg ally phone. Oh yeah, 60 amps @35ipm.
Loyd
036.jpg
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Compare laser to hypertherm 1250 cut

Post by rock4xfab »

The biggest advantage of laser is the Small kerf and virtualy a 90 deg edge. I have had all my parts Laser cut from a freind of mine who owns 2 Bystronics lasers, both can cut up to 1". When he is not in a hurry the parts are Beautiful, but if he cranks them out, I will still put my best plama parts against his half assed which are still exceptable parts.
jdh239
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jdh239 »

How thick of material is that? I wonder because you said you is 35 IPM.... At 60 amps I cut 1/4 inch at around 80+ IPM. My cut quality isn't nearly as good as yours though.
----------------------------------------
ColdCreekWorks.com
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

In reality you should be comparing a high definition class plasma cut to a laser cut. Hpertherm produces 4 high definition plasma systems (HPR130xd, HPR260xd, HPR400xd and HPR800xd) that are all 100% duty cycle, cut steel with oxygen (not air) cut at faster speeds, and produce about 10x longer consumable life than an air plasma (like the Powermax1250). These industrial plasma systems cost about 1/3 the price of a laser, cut faster on thicknesses above 3/16" (can cut 1" steel at 85 inches per minute!), and actually produce better cut quality in terms of edge metalurgy on the thicker plates.

I agree that the Powermax1250 cut quality appears better than or as good as the laser cuts in the pictures.....but I suspect the laser was not properly dialed in! The laser should produce excellent edge squareness, very nice fine feature and hole tolerances (better than the 1250), but will always have a rougher edge finish.

The laser, likely using an oxygen assist gas produces a softer edge than the air plasma. Air plasma produces a nitride edge hardening, while oxygen assist laser and oxygen high definition plasma leaves a softer, more weldable, formable edge.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

Jim,
In reality, I wish I could afford a Hi-def plasma!! I have to get by with my "lowly" 1250....which I like very well by the way!! ;) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Loyd
pipeliner
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by pipeliner »

Loyd, I'm running a 600, it does great up to 1/2", have cut some 5/8" with very low ipm, thinking about going to a 1250, what the max. thickness your cutting & with what ipm.
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

I have to agree with Jim about the laser not being set up correctly.
I often sub out cutting to laser guys and, if I received parts with that quality of finish, I'd send them back.
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

PL,
The thickest I have cut is 5/8". I bought the 1250 because I called PCam and asked them what machine they were using in their "Hollywood" video to cut 1" material with. They told me the Hypertherm 1250. If I remember correctly they said 10ipm.
As far as the laser cut I have other laser cut parts (12ga) that I get and the edges are very smooth I don't cut them myself because my homemade pressbrake will not do 12ga x 24 inches. I just bought a much larger cylinder so that problem should be cured when I get that installed! That was just one part that I found that I had laying around.
Loyd
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Plasma almost always produces a smoother edge than a laser, however an air plasma will leave a bit of taper on the edge. This taper, when cutting holes...makes the bottom of the hole smaller than the top....so tolerances with an air plasma will be looser.

The reason I compare high definition plasma to laser....is because a laser that can cut 1/2" steel will cost in excess of $500K. It is a much more "apples to apples" comparison if a $100k plasma is compared to this laser. Comparing an air plasma that (with a cnc machine) has a total cost of less than $15k just is not a fair comparison.

It is like comparing a Fiat 500 with a Porsche 911. They are built for different budgets and for different usage!

Although....here is a picture of edge quality from my Powermax45 on my home cnc machine (PlasmaCam)..it is 3/8" steel.

Jim Colt
Powermax45 edge angle 003.jpg
Powermax45 edge angle 003.jpg (28.45 KiB) Viewed 4985 times
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

Very nice! You do good work! :) 8-) What were your settings?
Loyd
Last edited by Loyd on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Pretty simple part....but it shows edge quality from a decent plasma and good machine motion. Lasers tend to produce a much rougher edge on steel.

Jim
jdh239

Post by jdh239 »

Look at these SWEET cuts in 1/4" I did tonight. Powermax 1250 with Duramax Machine Torch with 45 AMP tip at 40 IPM
Attachments
cpart1.jpg
edge2.jpg
edge1.jpg
Last edited by jdh239 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ColdCreekWorks.com
jdh239

Post by jdh239 »

2 more
Attachments
cpart3.jpg
cpart2.jpg
ColdCreekWorks.com
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

That is really nice....good job!
Loyd
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

JDH, Those look like great cuts! Will be ordering a Duramax machine torch for my 1250 soon... was the upgrade worth the cost compared to your stock torch? I'm really looking forward to getting mine!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
jdh239

Post by jdh239 »

Oldsarge wrote:JDH, Those look like great cuts! Will be ordering a Duramax machine torch for my 1250 soon... was the upgrade worth the cost compared to your stock torch? I'm really looking forward to getting mine!

Oldsarge
Cost of the duramax torch was within about $25-$50 of the other (I was going to get a discount on the older torch, so really the same cost without the discount). I have been pleased with the cuts so far. Whenever I get a crappy cut, it is because I just need to tune things in (still learning).

Right now I am cutting aluminum. It cuts it like butter, but I haven't been happy with my edges yet..... if anyone had any pointers I am listening.
ColdCreekWorks.com
daniel2
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by daniel2 »

Nice work, looks great.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”