All pierces first?

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
DynMetalworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

All pierces first?

Post by DynMetalworks »

I'm using sheetcam and am wanting it to pierce all the lead ins first. That way I can swap to new consumables and clean the top dross from the pierce. This is easy enough with holes using a drill op, but how about the perimeter of parts?
Last edited by DynMetalworks on Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: All pierces first?

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

What thickness of metal are you talking about here? The only time I have a build up problem is on 1" but I am going to change the cutting parameters to deal with it on the next job.
DynMetalworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DynMetalworks »

1/2 & 5/8. I currently use anti spatter, but would like to change to using SC to solve the issue.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

More specifics on your table and plasma cutter if you would..
DynMetalworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DynMetalworks »

Home made table. Mach4, ESS, Warprunner, and Sheetcam.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

With SheetCam you can separate out the pierces by using the contour function. You would select each pierce and put them all on a separate layer. Then you select that layer as you first plan and put a pause after that so the operation will stop so you can switch what you want to do.
You will need to create a pause snippet (M01) and put it in your tools box see attached screen shot.
contour.jpg
pause.jpg
dimple 2.JPG
dimple 4.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
DynMetalworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DynMetalworks »

acourtjester - thanks for the reply. How are you able to select just the pierce? I currently use the edit contour tool to move holes to a separate layer, but I'm not sure how you'd select just the pierce?

Instead of a pause after each pierce, I'd like to have it go through the entire job and pierce all the lead ins, then pause so I can swap in good consumables and clean any dross.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Well I miss-understood what you were looking for, Why do you want to separate the pierce from the cut, its purpose is to start a cut operation with no damage to the part shape. It is so you start outside or inside in the metal that would be scrap. Also the pierce should not cause additional dross, if you have problems you may be using an incorrect pierce height. With the thickness you are cutting you may want to do edge pierce if the dross is causing nozzle contaminations.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
DynMetalworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DynMetalworks »

On 3/8” and thicker you always get some top dross at the pierce. Yes, piercing to high can make it worse but you can’t eliminate it. This is also the time when it’s most likely to damage the nozzle or shield. Even Hypertherm and Jim Colt has suggested anti-spatter to help avoid damaged at pierces. Back to my original question, in my situation it would be beneficial to me to be able to have all my pieces completed, then be able to clean off any dross and install a good set of consumables. Still using the lead in / lead out, just removing the risk of damaged.

If anyone has guidance on setting this up for outside cuts in Sheetcam, I would greatly appreciate it. I already use the the drill op for holes and works perfectly.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Another option that you may interested in is to use a longer lead in and start the XY motion as soon or soon after the arc transfers (minimal or no pierce delay) and the idea is that once the torch has completed the lead in it will have pierced through the entire thickness of the plate and begin cutting your profile.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Try a ramp lead in.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
caretech
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by caretech »

Does your controller have a "pierce only" mode? With QtPlasmaC, you can toggle the mode between normal cut and pierce only. I tend to use this when cutting 5/8" or thicker materials. (optional on 5/8, but mandatory on 1" material with my PM 85) Nothing is done differently in Sheetcam; the same file is run on the machine. The controller finds all the pierces in the file and executes them in order. When the pierces have all been made you can push off the slag puddles with a prybar or whatever scraper tool you have handy. Then switch to Normal mode and go at it.

One issue you tend to run into once you start the normal cutting procedure when doing this is that your machine won't sense ARC OK and begin motion, because on each pierce the torch blows down through the hole you already made earlier. Some workarounds I use for this:

1. Change the X or Y zero position ever so slightly (about 1/16") after doing pierces. This way each pierce in your cutting mode pass will still be able to blow down through the hole pierced formerly, eliminating the blowback, but the torch will be off to one side ever so slightly, meaning that it will be cutting material and the ARC OK signal will activate. You could also bump the plate a tiny bit to physically move it on the table, achieving the same result.

2. Toggle "Ignore OK" on at each pierce, then toggle off again after motion has started. (In my case, IGNORE OK has to be disabled for torch height control to activate) Sort of a pain, and you have to stay there and babysit the whole cut. But with thicker materials you tend to need to hang around and watch for issues anyway.
Last edited by caretech on Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shop-built 5x10 table powered by QtPlasmaC
Hypertherm PM 85 machine torch
Lincoln PowerMig 255C
Lincoln Square Wave Tig 255
Ermak SpeedBend Pro
DynMetalworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DynMetalworks »

caretech wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:50 am Does your controller have a "pierce only" mode? With QtPlasmaC, you can toggle the mode between normal cut and pierce only. I tend to use this when cutting 5/8" or thicker materials. (optional on 5/8, but mandatory on 1" material with my PM 85) Nothing is done differently in Sheetcam; the same file is run on the machine. The controller finds all the pierces in the file and executes them in order. When the pierces have all been made you can push off the slag puddles with a prybar or whatever scraper tool you have handy. Then switch to Normal mode and go at it.

One issue you tend to run into once you start the normal cutting procedure when doing this is that your machine won't sense ARC OK and begin motion, because on each pierce the torch blows down through the hole you already made earlier. Some workarounds I use for this:

1. Change the X or Y zero position ever so slightly (about 1/16") after doing pierces. This way each pierce in your cutting mode pass will still be able to blow down through the hole pierced formerly, eliminating the blowback, but the torch will be off to one side ever so slightly, meaning that it will be cutting material and the ARC OK signal will activate. You could also bump the plate a tiny bit to physically move it on the table, achieving the same result.

2. Toggle "Ignore OK" on at each pierce, then toggle off again after motion has started. (In my case, IGNORE OK has to be disabled for torch height control to activate) Sort of a pain, and you have to stay there and babysit the whole cut. But with thicker materials you tend to need to do this anyway.
Mach4 does not that I am aware of. Sounds like exactly what I'm wanting. I'll do some research if it can be added to Mach4. Thank you
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Gogo »

Any chance you have a link to setting up the dimple tool you have listed above? Id rather drill some of my holes.

Return to “SheetCam”