Ebay PlasmaCam buy with no software

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Splasher
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Ebay PlasmaCam buy with no software

Post by Splasher »

I just bought an as new Plasmacam off Ebay UK for £1070! Used just once ten years ago and since then gathering dust.

No PC or software though.

Plasmacam say machine registered software is 'no longer available' and want $2000 for the new software. Hmm.

I expected this or similar to be the case and am ready to convert - but not quite decided yet between upgrade via C&CNC kit, or using Myplasm and Geko drivers, or...
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Ebay PlasmaCam buy with no software

Post by weldguy »

Check this out, may be of interest to you https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic. ... 14&t=35695

Contest is over but still a solid option to buy one and have everything you need in a trusted setup.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Splasher wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:20 pm I just bought an as new Plasmacam off Ebay UK for £1070! Used just once ten years ago and since then gathering dust.
What model of table is it? Is it a DHC, or a DHC2?
No PC or software though. Plasmacam says machine registered software is 'no longer available' and want $2000 for the new software.
It sounds like you have a DHC table that originally ran on PlasmaCAM 3.xx software, which has been discontinued and is no longer supported by PlasmaCam. You can ask around and try to find a copy of the old 3.11 software, but know that it is a violation of the license agreement for anyone to share a copy with you ... even though that is the software that once RAN your table, and it offers more capability than the newer BASIC level of DesignEdge.

They will sell you DesignEdge software that will run your older generation DHC controller box. The various upgrades are each sold separately at the amazing low price of only $998.00(us) EACH! How many "£" is that?
:roll:
I expected this or similar to be the case and am ready to convert - but not quite decided yet between upgrade via C&CNC kit, or using Myplasm and Geko drivers, or...
The CandCNC conversion kit seems to be well put together. The rub (for me) is that it still requires three separate software packages to get a design from a napkin sketch to a finished product, while DesignEdge does it all in one software package. That said, MOST PEOPLE go through the three step process of creating a cut file to run on their various machines anyway, so it is more the norm than PlasmaCam's proprietary DesignEdge software, and you can get a lot more features for less money by going the three-software trio route.

I am spoiled! :mrgreen: I have DesignEdge with The Full Monty of software upgrades, and I love it! However, that total upgrade package adds many thousands of dollars to the cost of the software, and many people prefer to chug along with the trio option, and keep more money in their pockets.

It is a decision you must make at this fork in the road. One way, you get a modern PlasmaCam table and their latest software (and optional upgrades) for a hefty price. The other way, you get the aftermarket kit which will run the table fine, but you will not have the simplicity of DesignEdge software at your disposal.

Good luck with your choice! The CandCNC option is definitely the more affordable option with more flexibility, for sure.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
kn612
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by kn612 »

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sB80wvE70FsL-cC1k_fpVpDGHK5xzGqJ?usp=sharing

Or if you want to convert and are tech savvy:
https://readytocut.com/forums/plasmacam-retrofit.190/
You could use qtplasmac if you are willing to learn Linux and linuxcnc
Splasher
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Splasher »

Thanks to everyone for the numerous helpful replies!

The box on my machine is marked DHC2. Does this make it a later or current model? I will be less likely to go down the Plasmacam route if my hardware is not current. From various posts I now have a feel for how Plamacam operates with every 'upgrade' etc costing around £1000.

Thoughts on options so far are as below.

Design Edge:
- £2000.
+ Very user friendly, all in one system.
- Needs dedicated pc with parallel port.
--- Get locked into Plasmacam system (big brother).
+++ Easy, just buy it and get going.

C&CNC upgrade:
-- £3500.
++ All standard industry software. Upgrade/change as required.
+ One kit with all parts tried and tested. Should be easy to fit?
+ Good support?
+ Z axis range increased and breakaway.
+ Fitted for machine torch (which I have).

Myplasm:
- £1800.
++ Very user friendly, all in one system. Similar to basic Designedge?
++ Good support.
- Work needed to fit and wire up.
- Untested with Geko servo drivers?
+ Will run from laptop usb.

Odds and ends in my works (generic Chinese controller, Geko drivers etc.):
++++ £280 (just for drivers, Sheetcam, Mach 3).
- No support.
++ All standard industry software. Upgrade/change as required.
---- A real lot of work.
- Untested with Geko servo drivers?
- Not very user friendly?
- I don't like Mach 3.

No decision yet...
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

linuxcnc qt plasmac

https://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/pl ... asmac.html

don't waste your money on mach3 or mach4 it's not really worth it.

you could look to uccnc too (it has not had any development in 2 years but it is very good for plasma)

https://cncdrive.com/UCCNC.html
https://cncdrive.com/AXBB.html

you will need a set of stepper motors and drives

where in the UK are you as I may be able to help with a conversation to either uccnc (windows) or linuxcnc. I only run linuxcnc now as I use it on plasma, mill, routers, and lathe.
Splasher
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Splasher »

Hi Robert,
That's a great offer of help! Where are you?
I am near Stevenage, Herts but not very pc techie and wary of Linux etc...
I really would like to keep the servo drives and think by using Geko G320X drives I can keep the servo motors and still use step/direction control inputs?
Right now I'm really unsure of what direction to take.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Since it is a DHC2, it is very much worth the upgrade to DesignEdge for $2k. It would make it operate identically to a new table (assuming mechanics are good as you say) with the main Advanced upgrades. Conversion to an open source setup would be a step backward in ease of use and function.
kn612

Post by kn612 »

rdj357 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:25 am Since it is a DHC2, it is very much worth the upgrade to DesignEdge for $2k. It would make it operate identically to a new table (assuming mechanics are good as you say) with the main Advanced upgrades. Conversion to an open source setup would be a step backward in ease of use and function.
Could you explain the differences between DHC and DHC2 along with what you get at each upgrade level?

It's my understanding that design edge doesn't include ohmic probing and thc?

Will a 3.11 software run a DHC2? 3.11 is out there on the web. He'll need a parallel port computer anyways if he stays with any version of plasmacam software.

Can anyone buy just design edge software without a pcam table? I wish they offered a trial to try out.

Whatever OP decides to do any conversion (mach, uccnc, centroid, simcnc, qtplasmac, myplasm) would require a controller to be built so they would have to be fairly hands on and competent. That honestly puts qtplasmac in the lead. It's a plasma purpose built package now. Candcnc is their flavor of linuxcnc that can be plug and run
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

kn612 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:02 am
Could you explain the differences between DHC and DHC2 along with what you get at each upgrade level?
Will a 3.11 software run a DHC2?
The DHC is the old model machine that has a subpar Z motor and hand torch bracket only torch holder. The DHC harness & controller are NOT capable of ohmic sensing.

The DHC2 is the current model 4x4 machine.
It was originally sold with 3.11 so, yes 3.11 will run a DHC or a DHC2. There is a setting in the software to set it appropriately.
The Design Edge upgrade available for tables with a 3.xx license is $2k and includes Advanced Design, Advanced Machine Control, Advanced Height Control, Metric Units, and at this time - one extra seat license.

The levels are explained in this YouTube video I made: Design Edge Levels- What do you get!?!???!?
kn612 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:02 amIt's my understanding that design edge doesn't include ohmic probing and thc?
Basic DesignEdge with no upgrades does not include any THC or ohmic sensing. The Basic upgrade gets you to the arc voltage feedback height control and the Advanced adds the ohmic sensing and the ability to adjust some other THC parameters.
kn612 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:02 am3.11 is out there on the web. He'll need a parallel port computer anyways if he stays with any version of plasmacam software.
PlasmaCAM software is licensed so if you use an unlicensed/unregistered copy then you are in violation of the licensing agreement. If you distribute or copy 3.11 then you are in violation of the agreement (law) and they claim they can retaliate against any other legitimate licenses you might own as well should you choose to violate the terms. Take that for what it's worth - they, rightfully so but unnecessarily obstinate and hatefully, vigorously defend their software from copyright violations.

Yes, a parallel port and good quality shielded cable is important. I sell them or they can be had direct from PlasmaCAM or the actual manufacturer, Axxon. I have sent them all over the world to PlasmaCAM owners. (Africa, Switzerland, Poland, UK, Australia, and of course here in the US off the top of my head.)
kn612 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:02 amCan anyone buy just design edge software without a pcam table? I wish they offered a trial to try out.
Yes. You just need to contact PlasmaCAM sales. They do sell the software and I know a couple people who are using it to design and export DXF and/or Gcode to run other machines. Last I knew the cost was $2-3k and unfortunately, as you say there is no trial available. The people that I know actually had a PlasmaCAM machine that they sold and replaced with a different brand. They missed the simplicity, ease of use, and familiarity of the software so they purchased the stand alone software to use.
kn612 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:02 amWhatever OP decides to do any conversion (mach, uccnc, centroid, simcnc, qtplasmac, myplasm) would require a controller to be built so they would have to be fairly hands on and competent. That honestly puts qtplasmac in the lead. It's a plasma purpose built package now. Candcnc is their flavor of linuxcnc that can be plug and run
You couldn't pay me to move away from what I have software and motor-wise. I have made mechanical improvements and when I add on to my shop, I'm planning to enlarge the table and build it differently but use the same motors and controls. If I couldn't avoid it, with a gun to my head, I'd use the new CandCNC package that is made to retrofit these tables.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:42 am
kn612 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:02 am
Will a 3.11 software run a DHC2?
The DHC is the old model machine that has a subpar Z motor and hand torch bracket only torch holder. The DHC harness & controller are NOT capable of ohmic sensing.

The DHC2 is the current model 4x4 machine.
It was originally sold with 3.11 so, yes 3.11 will run a DHC or a DHC2. There is a setting in the software to set it appropriately.
The Design Edge upgrade available for tables with a 3.xx license is $2k and includes Advanced Design, Advanced Machine Control, Advanced Height Control, Metric Units, and at this time - one extra seat license.

The levels are explained in this YouTube video I made: Design Edge Levels- What do you get!?!???!?
kn612 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:02 amIt's my understanding that design edge doesn't include ohmic probing and thc?
Basic DesignEdge with no upgrades does not include any THC or ohmic sensing. The Basic upgrade gets you to the arc voltage feedback height control and the Advanced adds the ohmic sensing and the ability to adjust some other THC parameters.
kn612 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:02 am3.11 is out there on the web. He'll need a parallel port computer anyways if he stays with any version of plasmacam software.
PlasmaCAM software is licensed so if you use an unlicensed/unregistered copy then you are in violation of the licensing agreement. If you distribute or copy 3.11 then you are in violation of the agreement (law) and they claim they can retaliate against any other legitimate licenses you might own as well should you choose to violate the terms. Take that for what it's worth - they, rightfully so but unnecessarily obstinate and hatefully, vigorously defend their software from copyright violations.

Yes, a parallel port and good quality shielded cable is important. I sell them or they can be had direct from PlasmaCAM or the actual manufacturer, Axxon. I have sent them all over the world to PlasmaCAM owners. (Africa, Switzerland, Poland, UK, Australia, and of course here in the US off the top of my head.)
kn612 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:02 amCan anyone buy just design edge software without a pcam table? I wish they offered a trial to try out.
Yes. You just need to contact PlasmaCAM sales. They do sell the software and I know a couple people who are using it to design and export DXF and/or Gcode to run other machines. Last I knew the cost was $2-3k and unfortunately, as you say there is no trial available. The people that I know actually had a PlasmaCAM machine that they sold and replaced with a different brand. They missed the simplicity, ease of use, and familiarity of the software so they purchased the stand alone software to use.
kn612 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:02 amWhatever OP decides to do any conversion (mach, uccnc, centroid, simcnc, qtplasmac, myplasm) would require a controller to be built so they would have to be fairly hands on and competent. That honestly puts qtplasmac in the lead. It's a plasma purpose built package now. Candcnc is their flavor of linuxcnc that can be plug and run
You couldn't pay me to move away from what I have software and motor-wise. I have made mechanical improvements and when I add on to my shop, I'm planning to enlarge the table and build it differently but use the same motors and controls. If I couldn't avoid it, with a gun to my head, I'd use the new CandCNC package that is made to retrofit these tables.

:Like :Like :Like
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I always advise people to bite the bullet and get the Big Three DesignEdge upgrades. It makes for a very nice plasma table that functions well, and gives you the best of the available table operations, such as automatic return home after cutting, awesome height control, and other features.

I don't have the other brand tables using all of the software trips like Mach 3, Inkscape, Sheetcam and whatever, so I cannot speak on how they aid in the process of turning a drawing into a product, but I am darned glad I use DesignEdge. The software lets you do nearly anything, and it is actually FUN to use.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”