New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Jweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jweld »

Hello from UK , I live in East Yorkshire England. I have my own fabrication shop. I bought and old hypertherm HD 3070 on an Epirit table. It is going to be used in production to produce agricultural tillage parts ranging between 5mm to 20mm , on mild steel and hardox(AR) plate. I'm quite new to CNC plasma cutting but have experience on CNC machines from cobot welder to CNC milling machines. Looking forward to speaking to people on this forum and getting knowledge.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome tot he site Jweld! Have you had the opportunity to fire up the equipment yet and if so how is it going? I know those bigger plasma's can be trickier to operate than the standard air plasma's most folks here run.
Jweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jweld »

Yes I have had the table running thanks to the help of my plasma repair guy . It needed a solenoid changed and run OK, quite lucky considering it is just over 20 years old. I am just waiting for him to come back and get the plasma cutter running. Yes quite different from and ordinary air plasma cutting table , it cuts with nitrogen and oxygen instead of air. I need cut quality to be good as most people want laser cut quality finish around here , but I can't finance a laser cutter right now.
IMG-20230913-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20230913-WA0001.jpg
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Always nice to see pics. What a beast! Curious to see kind of cut quality you get when you have it all running and dialed in. Thanks for the pics.
Jweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jweld »

It is a beast , my forklift could not lift it , so I reckon it is close to 4 ton or more. Yes I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of quality the cuts are myself , it has the torch upgrade too , it has the HPR torch I think on it. I will get some pictures up when I have it in production. I had to purchase that large fume extractor for it too. The only things left I need is an air compressor , but not a very big one as the gas is used for cutting, and I need to get slats made up. Has anyone on the forum made trays for catching parts that fall through slats? This one had trays on it but they was completely warped and ruined , I would like to make some , but want them not to end up like ones I had to sledge hammer out of this. You can maybe see them at the side of table in picture.
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Those trays look like they would do the job just fine, maybe duplicated out of some thicker material so they didn't twist and warp from the heat of that beast is the only change I would make. Best of luck with the fire up and look forward to seeing some pics.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard Jweld! That looks like a great setup you have there! Be sure to post some photos of some of the parts you are cutting with your new table.
Thanks,

David
Jweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jweld »

First cut done today , very impressed . We cut out a circle on some 10mm plate to make sure plasma power source going OK, next to no dross , little bit of taper but we had not set any speeds or anything. Speed what impressed me most , just a few seconds to to cut this . I have lots of little jobs to do before getting some dxf files on to it.I need to replace bed trays , slats, get pronest etc. But very happy power source is running.
Attachments
IMG-20230914-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20230914-WA0002.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

That's great to hear you're up and cutting! That edge quality looks great.

David
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Niiiiice! You must be stoked!
Jweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jweld »

Yes I am super stoked with it and I can't wait to do more , when I bought this six months ago it was in a sorry state and everyone I tried to get to fix it told me it was obsolete, too old and I was wasting my time , they told me I would be best to scrap it . Luckily I found a guy with 20+ years of experience working at these with a store full of spare parts and he is reson it going. Check out these motors on it ,
Attachments
20230914_162718.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Keep going and let us know how you make out.

David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”