Powermax 85 sweating

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
SRdesign
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 85 sweating

Post by SRdesign »

cutnweld wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:50 pm My last cuts I ran it at least 20 minutes nonstop before letting the power unit have a break and cool down. It was an extremely hot muggy day and I felt the torch body after a wide open, torch on full time 150 some volts according to my screen. Like I mean all the stops pulled all it would do. I could put my hand down by the retaining cap no problem. I started this idea December 2021but never bothered posting before cuz I thot it was just a flaw with my machine. Also thot some folks would think I am fooey :Yay
Thank you for the feedback!
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

For whatever it's worth, I cut out 4 ears 1 3/4" thick, 4 at 1 1/2" thick, and 2 that were 1" material. Around 7 hours arc on time running wide open on that project. No problems with torch overheating as of yet.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Interesting results and how it works to improve 1” to 1.75” thick material cutting yet for ROKCRLER it did not help with thin gauge materials. It would be interesting to know if the cut heights and how the nozzle moves in his case with fine cut consumables comes into play here.
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

I'd be interested in hearing @jimcolt advice on this.

I have since removed the added o-ring and went back to OEM setup as i did not find much improvement.
I did however PM the table and torch with new grease/bearings/o-rings and cuts are good again.

only issue i have is 20ga-26ga galvanized... i hate the stuff...but money is money.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
PlasmaDon
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaDon »

cutnweld wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:21 pm
bigcreek wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:07 pm That is freaking incredible. I cant even do near that good on 1" with my powermax 85. That blows me away. What was the IPM?
I set it at 2.5 ipm as a starting point, ended up using 4-5 ipm. I discovered a 75 cent powermax upgrade one day a year or so ago from frustration that i will try to post when i have time.It will make yours cut like mine. I will probably post it in the hypertherm section tho.
I like what you've done there.
If you are considering adding an oxy torch, take a look at this chart:
https://www.koike.com/documents/Product ... -13-21.pdf
Scroll down to 106d7 tips (I use these) and 1 1/2" plate is cut at 18 IPM
Yes, they run at 100 psi of oxy, but use less volume than normal tips.
PlasmaDon
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaDon »

For some reason the link is invalid
Let's give this a try:
cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

Thanks plasmadon, some reason the links dont seem to go anywhere tho, I am interested tho. What setup do you have, did you set it up on your own table, and how do you work touchoff and height control? I am looking at using sensor rings... not sure what folks do and use.
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
PlasmaDon
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaDon »

cutnweld wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:59 am Thanks plasmadon, some reason the links dont seem to go anywhere tho, I am interested tho. What setup do you have, did you set it up on your own table, and how do you work touchoff and height control? I am looking at using sensor rings... not sure what folks do and use.
I have a normal chinese made one, with the Fangling controller.
It came with a torch, I modified it to have the valves on the controller instead of at the torch (5x10 table)
I also bought quick couplers ($100) to quickly put the torch on/off.

I don't know of anyone running an automatic THC on Oxy, been in many shops, and all do it manually,
it's not nearly as critical as with plasma.

follow the link, go to gas equipment, then to cutting tips, then to lower left "Literature"
i can't figure why the linky doesn't work, and can't figure how to edit a post after I post as well.
Attachments
KIMG0887.JPG
KIMG0882.JPG
KIMG0881.JPG
KIMG0877.JPG
KIMG0876.JPG
KIMG0874.JPG
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

PlasmaDon wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:41 am For some reason the link is invalid
Let's give this a try:
There just invalid or dead links, the web page or this case pdf document you are linking to does not exist.
PlasmaDon
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaDon »

sonbakler wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:25 pm
PlasmaDon wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:41 am For some reason the link is invalid
Let's give this a try:
There just invalid or dead links, the web page or this case pdf document you are linking to does not exist.
I addressed it:
"follow the link, go to gas equipment, then to cutting tips, then to lower left "Literature"
i can't figure why the linky doesn't work, and can't figure how to edit a post after I post as well."
surely you can see the main website of "www.koike.com" ?

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”