Plasmacam sending update discs out?

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Plasmacam sending update discs out?

Post by tinspark »

I received an email from Plasmacam today, which informed me that they are sending out install discs. What happened to the updates from the owners community?
The email reads in part:
“In a few days, we will be mailing to you a free, major update of the Video Manual and DesignEdge software for your CNC plasma cutting machine.”

Any of you Designedge users receive this sudden out of character customer service? (tongue in cheek).. :HaHa
My shop computer is not online. And it does everything that i have asked it to do. so It’ll probably go into a drawer..
I am guessing someone here may already know what the update is about or have installed it already.
Last edited by tinspark on Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasmacam sending update discs out?

Post by adbuch »

Doug - I have received these in the past where they have mailed me an updated Video Manual, etc. Nothing really to worry about. I am still on Version 4.53 on my two office computers and older versions on my shop computers. But it's still nice to know they haven't forgotten about me.
David
plasmacam update message.jpg
plasmacam update message.jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

They've done this before. They mail them out because some folks just aren't on the internet at all. Nothing new to see here. We'll see how 'major' this update is and go from there! Myself and several others will be reviewing it and posting about it online so I doubt the skeptics will have much concern either way.
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

Ok, thanks fellers. Appreciate the update. I have owned my machine for almost 5 years now, and this is a first for me.
Maybe something cool coming out?
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

I will reserve judgement until I install this new and improved update on one computer. I sincerely HOPE they incorporated at least SEVERAL suggestions from table owners, to improve the software.

I can think of a hundred different additional features that should be added to DesignEdge right off the top of my head. After talking with many owners, I know what they want. For example, a way to visibly define open paths, closed paths, cut paths and selected paths for color blind people who see ALL current DesignEdge vector lines as uniformly GRAY in color.

This could be as simple as:

. . . . Open Path
.. .. .. .. Closed Path
... ... ... ... Cut Path
.... .... .... .... Selected Path

We already know that DesignEdge drops nodes at the mathematical location and NOT the visible line on the screen, so the absence of a lighted pixel on the screen should not affect the snap functions whatsoever.

- LAYERS!

- The ability to color in different closed paths for presentation to the customer without the need to drag the file into another program.

-The ability to change the FONT of text in a design without starting from scratch.

- The SELECT CONTAINED function, which you would select a closed path of any shape, and automatically select all of the open and closed paths contained within that path. The software can already DO this ... "Automatically CONVERT hole(s) inside path?" Why not have "Automatically SELECT hole(s) inside path?"

- Scale WIDTH

- The ability to use inference lines to draw shapes.

- The ability to fire up TWO instances of DE on a single PC equipped with dual monitors, so you can work on designs WHILE a table is cutting shapes from the other DE window.

- The ability to screen share in a meeting so that two (or more) owners can get together online, and all simultaneously show their screens on one monitor, while working with DE on another monitor. Think of PalTalk or The Brady Bunch intro screens. There are CLUNKY ways to do this now, but they are not crisp and clean, and PlasmaCam KILLED access to Team Viewer a couple of years ago.

What I do NOT want to encounter is a GOTCHA! such as, "Please install this new version ... Thank you. NOW you cannot use DesignEdge unless you are ONLINE and connected to the PlasmaCam servers so we can monitor your work in real time..." or ... "You can no longer move this PC away from the IP address where DE was installed" ... or whatever else they can dream up. :lol:

Waiting for my disk ....

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

04-17-2023 ... Nothing yet ...

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I just received a communication from the Mothership. :lol: The disc they are sending out is a redeux of the video manual, and will contain DesignEdge version 4.57, which is currently available for download via the Owners Community Forum, and already installed onto my computers. No added features. No improvements. No special capabilities. Nothing.

I was hoping for something ... anything. :cry:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

By expecting nothing, I have managed my expectations and avoided disappointment.

The software R&D department of PlasmaCAM has been extinct for a decade or more.

I have no complaints about the current software as it and the table works great. I just don't expect anything innovative in the near (or distant) future.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:31 am
The software R&D department of PlasmaCAM has been extinct for a decade or more.
There is SO MUCH that could be added, to make the program awesome. I am guessing that the owner is going to ride out the patent on the table and the copyright on the software, and retire.

I really wish I had pursued computer programming in school, but as with everything else in my life, unless I made it my entire life, I would not be able to retain the knowledge. Having a bad memory really sucks. :Sad

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

tinspark

Post by tinspark »

attached email received 4/11/23

"In a few days we will be sending out updates"
"If the address is correct no action needed"
Attachments
snail mail.jpg
plasmaca snail mail.png
plasmaca snail mail.png (67.29 KiB) Viewed 3559 times
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Doug - I have not received my update cd either. As I said before, it's not something I need - so I'll get along just fine without it.

David
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

It is their wording though that I was emphasizing. "In a few days we will be sending out", and more at tongue in cheek on my part..
Good thing they didn't say that they are sending them out in a few months. That may actually mean in a few years.. HAHa
I knew what I was getting into before I bought my machine, and saw all of the negative comments about their company, on various sites and forums.
I have always received great service and interactions from and with them , with pretty much zero problems with their products.
Just a little learning curve on my end, which is normal.
My disc will likely go in the original DesinEdge box with the original install disc, while I learn what is on it and why they were generous enough to send them out to their users.
But if it doesn't get here soon there may be a few more updates ready to go with an endless stream of discs lost in the snail mail.
My machine has been running great, so no need for any updates, unless I hear that something new and cool is on it
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

tinspark wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:40 am It is their wording though that I was emphasizing. "In a few days we will be sending out", and more at tongue in cheek on my part..
Good thing they didn't say that they are sending them out in a few months. That may actually mean in a few years.. HAHa
I knew what I was getting into before I bought my machine, and saw all of the negative comments about their company, on various sites and forums.
I have always received great service and interactions from and with them , with pretty much zero problems with their products.
My disc will likely go in the original DesinEdge box with the original install disc, while I learn what is on it and why they were generous enough to send them out to their users.
But if it doesn't get here soon there may be a few more updates ready to go with an endless stream of discs lost in the snail mail.
My machine has been running great, so no need for any updates, unless I hear that something new and cool is on it
They are not updating the software. They are ONLY updating the video manual.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tinspark wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:40 am It is their wording though that I was emphasizing. "In a few days we will be sending out", and more at tongue in cheek on my part..
Doug - I'm 100 percent happy with my Plasmacam tables. And I have no complaints about their customer service or the actual Design Edge program. I haven't updated my seat versions in quite a while, so I don't really care if they put out updates or not - unless they were to add some new exciting feature like actual node editing. But that's why I use Inkscape. So between DE and Inkscape I've got most of my bases covered. I also use Aspire, but that is more for cnc routing.

In fact - I am working on a little project for a friend where so far I have used Scanything on my cnc router table to auto trace the provided cardboard template, then Design Edge for checking the dxf, followed by Inkscape for doing the clean-up and then imported to Aspire to run tool paths and cut a sample part from 1/8" hardboard (masonite). Once he checks the sample part for fit, then we will cut a bunch of them from 11 ga. steel on the Plasmacam table.

David
gutter bracket 1.jpg
gutter bracket 2.jpg
gutter bracket 3.jpg
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:56 am
I haven't updated my seat versions in quite a while, so I don't really care if they put out updates or not - unless they were to add some new exciting feature like actual node editing.
David, wouldn't some new features be nice!!! I sincerely hope that your DesignEdge installations continue to function for you indefinitely. I don't understand HOW you run an older version of DesignEdge indefinitely. The software will tell you that an update is available, and you will be able to open DesignEdge for an undetermined number of times, before the software just stops working. The software watches the date on your PC, and it will occasionally give you THE RED BAR OF IMPENDING DOOM! :lol:

I have no way to confirm my suspicion, but I have heard from many people who tell me that if you ignore THE RED BAR OF IMPENDING DOOM! long enough ... DE will suddenly just stop working, with some error message about a corrupted .sys file or something. You will be notified that you must reinstall DesignEdge. The failure requires you to install the "latest and greatest" version of DesignEdge. You CANNOT reinstall the same earlier versions, because the OC activation window will not reactivate older versions of the software. So I don't know how you are getting around that, but kudos on your success!

The people who experience the "crash" of DesignEdge that requires them to download and install the latest version are the people who do not keep their PCs connected to the Internet and therefore, DesignEdge cannot phone home in the background, late at night, while you are sleeping :shock: I believe the software checks with the PlasmaCam gods on a periodic basis, to see if it is still a legitimate installation that should continue to function. It may ignore a few, or several unanswered calls, but eventually, the software just shuts down. I really wish I had the computer knowledge needed to confirm this. Alas, I do not. :Sad

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

tinspark

Post by tinspark »

Joe Jones wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:42 am
I haven't updated my seat versions in quite a while, so I don't really care if they put out updates or not - unless they were to add some new exciting feature like actual node editing.
David, wouldn't some new features be nice!!! I sincerely hope that your DesignEdge installations continue to function for you indefinitely. I don't understand HOW you run an older version of DesignEdge indefinitely. The software will tell you that an update is available, and you will be able to open DesignEdge for an undetermined number of times, before the software just stops working. The software watches the date on your PC, and it will occasionally give you THE RED BAR OF IMPENDING DOOM! :lol:

I have no way to confirm my suspicion, but I have heard from many people who tell me that if you ignore THE RED BAR OF IMPENDING DOOM! long enough ... DE will suddenly just stop working, with some error message about a corrupted .sys file or something. You will be notified that you must reinstall DesignEdge. The failure requires you to install the "latest and greatest" version of DesignEdge. You CANNOT reinstall the same earlier versions, because the OC activation window will not reactivate older versions of the software. So I don't know how you are getting around that, but kudos on your success!

The people who experience the "crash" of DesignEdge that requires them to download and install the latest version are the people who do not keep their PCs connected to the Internet and therefore, DesignEdge cannot phone home in the background, late at night, while you are sleeping :shock: I believe the software checks with the PlasmaCam gods on a periodic basis, to see if it is still a legitimate installation that should continue to function. It may ignore a few, or several unanswered calls, but eventually, the software just shuts down. I really wish I had the computer knowledge needed to confirm this. Alas, I do not. :Sad

Joe

I have never heard of a red bar.
But my shop computer is never online, so come what may.....ET does not phone home

maybe post up a pick of that infamous red bar. Just curious..
Attachments
et phone home.jpeg
et phone home.jpeg (40.28 KiB) Viewed 3529 times
Last edited by tinspark on Wed May 17, 2023 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

Doug - I'm 100 percent happy with my Plasmacam tables. And I have no complaints about their customer service or the actual Design Edge program. I haven't updated my seat versions in quite a while, so I don't really care if they put out updates or not - unless they were to add some new exciting feature like actual node editing. But that's why I use Inkscape. So between DE and Inkscape I've got most of my bases covered. I also use Aspire, but that is more for cnc routing.

In fact - I am working on a little project for a friend where so far I have used Scanything on my cnc router table to auto trace the provided cardboard template, then Design Edge for checking the dxf, followed by Inkscape for doing the clean-up and then imported to Aspire to run tool paths and cut a sample part from 1/8" hardboard (masonite). Once he checks the sample part for fit, then we will cut a bunch of them from 11 ga. steel on the Plasmacam table.

David

gutter bracket 1.jpg
gutter bracket 2.jpg
gutter bracket 3.jpg
Thats way cool David.
I have been making the transition from Designspark to fusion 360, which I do like better than Onshape for my basic CAD drawings.
And like you,, do prefer inkscape over DE for file conversions, and of course DE for the final touches and actual cnc Plas work
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The next time I boot up a seat that flashes THE RED BAR OF IMPENDING DOOM! I will do a screen shot of it. I cannot pull it up by choice. I have to boot up a seat with an earlier version of DesignEdge on it, so that the red bar will appear.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

tinspark wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:58 pm I have never heard of a red bar.
But my shop computer is never online, so come what may.....ET does not phone home
Which version of DesignEdge are you currently running?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tinspark wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:03 pm
Thats way cool David.
I have been making the transition from Designspark to fusion 360, which I do like better than Onshape for my basic CAD drawings.
And like you,, do prefer inkscape over DE for file conversions, and of course DE for the final touches and actual cnc Plas work
Doug - I like Fusion 360 as well - but use it more for solid modeling for 3D printing. In case you haven't seen them, Arnold Rowntree has some excellent Fusion 360 tutorial video lessons. I went thru them several times a few years ago and they were a big help for me in making the transition from SolidWorks to Fusion 360. I find the Fusion 360 user interface so much simpler and easier to use than SolidWorks. My only complaint about Fusion 360 is that it is "cloud based" and often very slow to load or respond. But other than that a great free program to use.

David

tinspark

Post by tinspark »

Joe Jones wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:13 pm
tinspark wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:58 pm I have never heard of a red bar.
Which version of DesignEdge are you currently running?

Joe
4.52 10/1/19
I think I remember updating once from the owners community site
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

adbuch wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:14 pm
tinspark wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:03 pm
Thats way cool David.
Doug - I like Fusion 360 as well - but use it more for solid modeling for 3D printing. In case you haven't seen them, Arnold Rowntree has some excellent Fusion 360 tutorial video lessons. I went thru them several times a few years ago and they were a big help for me in making the transition from SolidWorks to Fusion 360. I find the Fusion 360 user interface so much simpler and easier to use than SolidWorks. My only complaint about Fusion 360 is that it is "cloud based" and often very slow to load or respond. But other than that a great free program to use.

David

Thanks David, I will check them out!
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Over a month ago, they said they would be mailing out the video manual updates in a few days, so I guess it should arrive in a few days. :roll:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

tinspark

Post by tinspark »

Joe Jones wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:12 pm Over a month ago, they said they would be mailing out the video manual updates in a few days, so I guess it should arrive in a few days. :roll:

Joe
The notice posted above mentions both a video manual update and DesignEdge update, so we will have to see.
Some seem to think that their PlasmaCam software engineers are pretty much either retired or non-existent.
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

tinspark wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:30 pm
The notice posted above mentions both a video manual update and DesignEdge update, so we will have to see.
Some seem to think that their PlasmaCam software engineers are pretty much either retired or non-existent.
I am not just guessing here. I called PlasmaCam about the update disk. I was told that it contains version 4.57 and an updated VIDEO MANUAL.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”