Which Software is best? Lazycam Issue!

General software related questions should be posted here.
speedbow20
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Which Software is best? Lazycam Issue!

Post by speedbow20 »

Good day friends,

I work for the Air National Guard, we recently purchased a CNC plasma for our fabrication shop from Precision Cutting Systems out of Calgary, Ca. It comes with Mach3, LazyCam, and i purchased ViCad2 for it also. My question is, is there a software any of you might reccomend that is geared more directly for a CNC Plasma and will write/draw a program AND turn it into a G-code? Right now, I draw it in Vi-Cad, make it into a DXF file, export it to LazyCam, then post the code to Mach3. Somewhere I am getting sizing problems.

I would like to purchase just some software that would allow me to draw, and then post code to Mach3 all at one time. Does this exist? And if not, what might any of you pro`s reccomend.

I am fairly new to CNC, I understand it OK and I`m pretty good with computers for an old fart. I have a kid in my shop taking auto-cad courses and my son is taking some courses also, so I have a decent support crew!!

And, am I being an idiot, or do others here have issues with LazyCam?? If I draw a simple rectangle, say 5 X 18, when i send it to LazyCam, then post code, my machine will cut it smaller, say 4 7/8 X 17 1/4. I`m allowing .050 for offset.

HELP!

Thanks in advance folks!

Sam Heinert
boodog710
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Which Software is best? Lazycam Issue!

Post by boodog710 »

Sam, I use WE-CIM. It will do all you are asking about and a lot more. Contact Gary Whitlock at 256-737-3075.
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

Sheetcam is a great program to turn your .dxf or .svg files into Gcode to cut. I have never had a scale problem with it at all. Scaling is done in your drawing program. They have a trial you can download and try that is limited to 150 lines of code (as I remember anyway) befor purchasing. This is one of the most used and useful programs I have found. For what Sheetcam does it's purchase price is great. Sheetcam.com
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
speedbow20
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by speedbow20 »

Gentlemen, I`m assuming sorry if I`m wrong.

Thank you for your time. I have looked at both, this will help. I appreciate your time!

SAM
Dennis
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dennis »

Sam, sorry to here you bought that boat anchor, maybe you could sell it to the Navy for one of there ships. ;)
I see Precision is still offering the worst cam program..The reason they use lazycam with there system is because it is real cheap. And they send you to the store to pay for your own Cad as well... You will need to get your self a copy of sheetcam far better Cam program.. Then once you figure out how to get cutting it will be way easier to sell that table to someone else.. :lol:
If you are having trouble cutting rectangles , just wait till you see the circles , or should I say ovals...

When I received my table even the home switches where back words, this is after they said that they just have to calibrate my table and send it out.

When I do my first cut the Y axis motor is making noise on the gear rack, take a closer look and the motor has one bolt thats striped where it mounts and others are loose...I guess its better to calibrate the table that way :lol:

The real kicker is the 5/16 fuel line shim on the shaft of the Z axis motor , I guess they could not find a gear to fit the shaft at the Dollar or More store. ;)

The good thing is when you look at the electronics and take down the part #'s and do a little research , You will not have to spend much money to replace them... :lol:

Well if you need any help with the fixing give me a shout as I have been there ... Now I run a Fastcut CnC Table and it is miles ahead...

Return to “General Discussion”