Conversion of a photo

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
6429john
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Conversion of a photo

Post by 6429john »

Hi everyone, I am just wondering if anyone could possibly guide me on if there is any way to automate a conversion from a photograph please? I have offered to make a steel bench for the family of a young lady who was tragically taken away from them. She adored horses and her family have sent me a lovely photo of her holding her horse and smiling. It would make a great silhouette, but I would like to see if it is possible to add a little more detail, perhaps with some facial features etc. I have only ever used cad to draw around a photo, but as this is such an important piece I thought I would seek some advice. I can post the attach the photo to anyone who could help. Thanks in advance for any assistance. All the best, John
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Conversion of a photo

Post by cuttinparts »

Hey John. I have Corel and it does have an automated trace function that will convert a photo into a cut file however it as well as any other automated trace function I have tried has limitations. The only time I find it generates a usable design is if the photo is a simple black and white design. Tracing an image of a horse in my experience would generate such a messy design that you would spend more time cleaning it up then drawing from scratch. If you visit this link https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=27175 there are a few designers at the bottom of the post that you can contact who will do a professional conversion for you. Good luck with your project!
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Post the photo and we will take a stab at it.

Joe
6429john
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 6429john »

Thanks for the reply Joe. Please find attached photo.
All the best,
John

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

It is easiest to simply trace this photo, creating the halftone image you desire. Well, for me at least. It depends on what software you are using, and what sort of effect you are seeking. Converting a raster color photograph into a black and white vector image requires some serious compromises, since a metal art piece is ONLY metal and air.

I will take a run at it though. Is there a DEADLINE for this file?

Joe
6429john
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 6429john »

Thanks Joe, I use Autocad and will try and run a trace over it. No massive deadline as we are making the bench first and will incorporate this design into the backplate with other silhouettes. I wasn't intending to give the young girl too much in the way of features, just perhaps a silhouette outline of her, but perhaps add more detail to the horse to bring out the harness in the design. I am cutting in 3mm on a laser so I can get some fine details in it. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Cheers, John
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

This is not finished, but it is the direction my rendition is headed. It still has a lot of "islands" that need to be connected. Her face needs work, and the lower portion of the horse still needs to be cleaned up.

Joe
GIRL AND HORSE TRACE JPG.jpg

plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Wow Joe, that is impressive! I just can't seen to pull those off, my brain can't foresee how it should look and I end up getting frustrated. Is that from scratch or was some auto tracing involved?
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

It is a magical, mystical iPad APP called VECTOR Q. It takes an image and applies an assortment of FILTERS to it. The one I use is called INK. It has some slide bar settings to change the appearance and how it interprets the image. Then you can use your iPad pen to draw or erase the shapes at will.

It is a REALLY good program to have in your bag-o-tricks!

Joe
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

I have that app but have never had that much luck with it. I will try again. Thanks Joe.
Larry83301

Post by Larry83301 »

6429john wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:57 am Thanks for the reply Joe. Please find attached photo.
All the best,
John
I have photo2sketch so I took a shot at it. I think the face came out better but the outline of the horse is very light. See if this helps any, OK.

Gracie original photo-A.jpg

Larry

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I will try to finish the file today if possible. Lots going on here right now.

Joe
6429john
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by 6429john »

Joe Jones wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:11 am This is not finished, but it is the direction my rendition is headed. It still has a lot of "islands" that need to be connected. Her face needs work, and the lower portion of the horse still needs to be cleaned up.

Joe

GIRL AND HORSE TRACE JPG.jpg
Thanks so much Joe, that is a great start for me! It already looks better than the one I have started on autocad. Top man, cheers.

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”