Expanding 4x4

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Fab-Tex
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Expanding 4x4

Post by Fab-Tex »

Hello, i have recently purchased extra dhc parts,(rails, gantry, controller). My main question, is can i easily convert my 4x4 into an 4x8, without the blessings of P.Cam? I gave them a call the other day, and they obviously wanted the serial. I have determined that i am not going to receive it, due to lack of response. Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Jon
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Expanding 4x4

Post by djreiswig »

I'm pretty sure you have to pay them for the software to work on an expanded table.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

If you have a DHC and have gotten some extra rails all you have to do is build a center leg to hold the rails together in the middle and move the existing legs to the far end. You'll need to slide the gear rack up inside to meet up with the existing and use a small piece of gear rack if you have or can get one to mesh them so it's a smooth transition. Assuming you are running 3.11 or older you just to into system setup and uncheck the standard configuration box and change the size. Most people turn the control box to face the table side and make the 0,0 corner the same as where it goes for mechanical home. To do that you would change the rotate controller and rotate axes boxes from 0 to 90's.

If you or someone has upgraded to Design Edge then you'd need to purchase the Customizable Size upgrade for $998 to make those changes in settings.
Robert Johnson
PlasmaCAM GURU & Instructor
FourNinety Creations & Learn PC, LLC
(918) 457-0289 * Robert@490Creations.com
Did I help and you want to help me out? Buy me a coffee! - Thanks!
I am not affiliated with PlasmaCAM, Inc. in any way. I offer training on their equipment and software. All product and company names are trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of their respective holders. Use of them are for nominative purposes only and does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.
Fab-Tex
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Fab-Tex »

Yes, i have D.E
Thabks,
Jon
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:22 pm If you have a DHC and have gotten some extra rails all you have to do is build a center leg to hold the rails together in the middle and move the existing legs to the far end. You'll need to slide the gear rack up inside to meet up with the existing and use a small piece of gear rack if you have or can get one to mesh them so it's a smooth transition. Assuming you are running 3.11 or older you just to into system setup and uncheck the standard configuration box and change the size. Most people turn the control box to face the table side and make the 0,0 corner the same as where it goes for mechanical home. To do that you would change the rotate controller and rotate axes boxes from 0 to 90's.

If you or someone has upgraded to Design Edge then you'd need to purchase the Customizable Size upgrade for $998 to make those changes in settings.
Great information Robert!!
David
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Actually, it is not mandatory to purchase the customizable size upgrade.

You can "tile" the work, and just make a removable HOME stop for the limit switch. This STOP would attach to the rail exactly 48" from the original HOME position.

You would cut 1/2 of the design, making sure to put a BREAK at the end of anything that crosses over the 48" cut area. Then move the gantry beyond the extra stop exactly 48" along the rail, and reinitialize.

You move the cutting area, rather than moving the material! The table will believe it is cutting in the original cutting area. You MUST remember to [M]OVE your design by X=-48", so that the other half of the design will be in the cutting area that the software THINKS it is cutting.

Customizable size is only required if you want the software to "see" the full 48" x 96" cutting area.

Joe

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”