How To Prevent EMI

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
EverydayDiesel
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

How To Prevent EMI

Post by EverydayDiesel »

You guys are much smarter when it comes to this kind of things so I thought I would ask.

How does EMI get into the electronics? Feedback from grounds? Feedback from unshielded wires? I dont fully understand what EMI is exactly.

What are some considerations when designing a system?

I plan on running a rod for the earth ground but I would like to hear what has worked for you in the past.

Thanks in advance
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: How To Prevent EMI

Post by acourtjester »

there are different types of EMI, a Tig welder with HF start will cause some. Current flowing through a wire will cause some. Lightning strikes with cause some. Relays switching can cause some. Depending on the power grid in your location grounding rods may be needed, shielding of signal cable will help. In my shop the only ground is through the local power input and its ground. I have a ground rod but it is only hooked to my Tig welder itself. Other member will have other inputs due to their experiences.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: How To Prevent EMI

Post by BTA Plasma »

Most EMI with conventional plasma comes from coiling up the work clamp cable from the plasma, running AC power next to controller cables and running controller cables next to plasma leads (Torch and work clamp)

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”