Bending plate problems

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
harisfifo
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Bending plate problems

Post by harisfifo »

Hello all! I am very new to this as i have build my own cn table and ive put my plasma machine on it. Now what i want to know is, how to clear a problem. When i am cuting a 1.5 millimeters plate i have the problem that it's bending up and down and so on. When the machine stops, the plate doesn't look in line and i don't have a THC. I tryed with some water to cool it down but doesn't help much, any ideas?

And what is the best option when cutting to have a good cut on the plate. How to get a good quality on the cut?
Thank you for reading.
kel fab creations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Bending plate problems

Post by kel fab creations »

U can use weights to hold down the material. Just make sure to place them in locations where they won't get hit by the torch.
Platt Mfg
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Platt Mfg »

use thicker material
I Love What I Do
How to portrait tutorial--------> http://youtu.be/cz3SfAz2dxo
Wesley Nichols
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wesley Nichols »

....not exactly sure of the complete situation, but you should be able to control a lot of your warpage by turning your voltage down, running more air or some fancy hold downs or a combination of the three.. warpage is caused by heat, and if you can run less heat, you will have less warpage even though you will have to turn your inches per minute down. hope this helps
bzzboyz
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by bzzboyz »

Also if your cutting lot of pieces out of one sheet, make sure you don't cut all of them on the same side at once. Alternate around your material so that one section doesn't get to hot.
Dennis
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dennis »

You may want to consider purchasing a THC system, you will get better consumable life as well as much better cut quality, you may also be cutting at to slow of a speed..

Sometimes you are just better off buying a table from a reputable manufacturer...
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Warpage is sometimes caused by heat input, but usually is from cutting and releasing internal stresses in the plate. A torch height control is a necessary component of a cnc plasma cutter.....unless you are willing to stand by the machine and continuously adjust the torch height!

For best cut quality and best plasma torch consumable life (low cut cost) the height control must :

1. Find the surface of the plate before each cut cycle.
2. Retract to the torch manufacturers recommended pierce height...for the plate thickness you are cutting.
3. Fire the torch, but stay in place for the torch manufacturers recommended pierce time.
4. When the pierce is complete, index the torch down to the torch manufacturers recommended cut height.
5. During steady state cutting, continuously monitor the torch height by reading the plasma arc voltage....and using this to continuously adjust torch to work distance. Acurracy should be within .010" of the manufacturers recommended height whle cutting....to best control edge quality.
6. At the end of each cut cycle retract the torch to avoid collisions during the traverse to the next cut.

It is impossible to do all of the above with the accuracy required...by hand!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
ddickson
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ddickson »

Sometimes it can also be the metal itself.If the sheet is not properly made or de-coiled, when it gets heated it wants to distort or go back to it's original form.It seems to happen more on thinner materials and when the outside temp. is hot.
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Dennis wrote:
Sometimes you are just better off buying a table from a reputable manufacturer...

I agree with this statement 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”