RE: PM 45 Machine Torch questions

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

RE: PM 45 Machine Torch questions

Post by edclayton1 »

Hi,
I have questions about the fine cut consumables for the PM 45 machine torch. I see that they seem to be rated for 30 amps as they were originally designed for the PM 30. I want to try these out when cutting thinner metals. BTW I'm new to all this CNC plasma cutting. So please go easy on me here. :)

1. So what I am wondering is can I use the fine cut consumables (t30V) on the machine torch p/N: t45m but still use the p/n:220719 retaining cap so I have the ability to utilize the ohmic sensing feature with the feather touch device I bought form CandCNC (that I am still planning on hooking up soon)?

2. If I were to run these at 45 amps will I burn up the nozzle and electrode prematurely?

3. Can I use the deflectors that I purchased for the t45m and the swirl ring for the t45m and simply swap out the nozzle and the electrode to the fine cut p/n's?
I now this all sounds kind of dumb but it appears that many of the part numbers mentioned in the hypertherm literature appear to be compatible as near as I can figure. My goal here is to try to use my feather touch and the fine cut consumables at the same time if that is possible and if so I simply need help clearly understanding which part numbers too select to get the correct configuration. The DTHC IV manual from CandCNC trys to explain this on page 124 but it confuses me too. It seems to show that you can use mostly all T45M parts and simply change only the nozzle and the shield.
I currently have the p/n: 220673 shield (and a spare). I have a 220713 retaining cap (stock with the machine torch), and a p/N: 220719 Ohmic retaining cap that I bought thinking this is what I need for the ohmic sensor from CandCNC. And I have the stock part number nozzles 220671 and swirl ring 220670 and several 220669 electrodes for spares. I am hoping all I still need to buy here are the smaller nozzles p/N: 220480 and the smaller amperage electrodes p/N: 220478 if need be and maybe some of the smaller swirl rings p/N: 220479 if required. Please advise. Thanks, Ed
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: RE: PM 45 Machine Torch questions

Post by davek0974 »

I use the 30A consumables, they are great on thin stuff, you need the full set of matching parts, I don't think any of them are compatible with the 45A ones.

I would think running at 45A would very quickly blow the nozzle out, maybe the electrode too.

I think these are the parts needed...

http://www.fosterindustrial.co.uk/plasm ... onsumables
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi edclayton1

I agree with Dave, none of the 45 amp consumables are compatible with the 30 amp consumables ;)

The 30 amp consumables should not be confused with "Fine Cut" consumables as NO "Fine Cut" consumables are available for either the 45 or 30 torches hand or machine versions :?:

If you open the PM 45 operators manual and go to page 3-21, there is a diagram showing the parts assembly and part numbers for the 30 amp consumables
I do not think the optional "220569" deflector is required or needed when using a machine torch or hand torch on a table

page 3-8 shows the items for 45 amp consumables

I hope that helps and makes things a little clearer
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

There are no available "Finecut" consumables for the Powermax45. As you mention, you can use the T30 consumables in this torch, which are the non shielded consumables that are normally used in the Powermax30 torch. These consumables are designed for 30 amp and lower cutting power.

1. The 30 amp T30 consumables cannot be used with the standard Powermax45 retaining cap or shield, they will not fit and will not work. The T30 consumables include the retaining cap, nozzle, electrode and swirl ring just as used in the Powermax30 torch. There are cut charts and pictures/part numbers in your Powermax45 operators manual for use with these parts. You could make your own ohmic touch tab that extends slightly lower than the nozzle.....others have done this.

2. If you exceed the rated amperage of any plasma cutting nozzle.....expect accelerated wear and damage to the nozzle orifice which will result in poor cut speeds and poor edge angularity.

3. See answer #1.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

edclayton1 wrote:Hi,
I have questions about the fine cut consumables for the PM 45 machine torch. I see that they seem to be rated for 30 amps as they were originally designed for the PM 30. I want to try these out when cutting thinner metals. BTW I'm new to all this CNC plasma cutting. So please go easy on me here. :)

1. So what I am wondering is can I use the fine cut consumables (t30V) on the machine torch p/N: t45m but still use the p/n:220719 retaining cap so I have the ability to utilize the ohmic sensing feature with the feather touch device I bought form CandCNC (that I am still planning on hooking up soon)?

2. If I were to run these at 45 amps will I burn up the nozzle and electrode prematurely?

3. Can I use the deflectors that I purchased for the t45m and the swirl ring for the t45m and simply swap out the nozzle and the electrode to the fine cut p/n's?
I now this all sounds kind of dumb but it appears that many of the part numbers mentioned in the hypertherm literature appear to be compatible as near as I can figure. My goal here is to try to use my feather touch and the fine cut consumables at the same time if that is possible and if so I simply need help clearly understanding which part numbers too select to get the correct configuration. The DTHC IV manual from CandCNC trys to explain this on page 124 but it confuses me too. It seems to show that you can use mostly all T45M parts and simply change only the nozzle and the shield.
I currently have the p/n: 220673 shield (and a spare). I have a 220713 retaining cap (stock with the machine torch), and a p/N: 220719 Ohmic retaining cap that I bought thinking this is what I need for the ohmic sensor from CandCNC. And I have the stock part number nozzles 220671 and swirl ring 220670 and several 220669 electrodes for spares. I am hoping all I still need to buy here are the smaller nozzles p/N: 220480 and the smaller amperage electrodes p/N: 220478 if need be and maybe some of the smaller swirl rings p/N: 220479 if required. Please advise. Thanks, Ed
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

Thanks for making this more clear for me Jim. I appreciate that. Dare I ask what the kerf width of that 30 amp fine cut setup would be. I know I'm being lazy here but I figure you probably know the answer off the top of your head anyway. :P
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by davek0974 »

edclayton1 wrote:Thanks for making this more clear for me Jim. I appreciate that. Dare I ask what the kerf width of that 30 amp fine cut setup would be. I know I'm being lazy here but I figure you probably know the answer off the top of your head anyway. :P

On 1.2mm stainless i see about 0.8mm kerf
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Yep

I concur, 0.8mm / 0.032" is the same as I allow in SheetCam for 1.2mm / 18 swg mild steel (CR4) ;)

Every machine can be different and the assumption that all your settings pan out like cut height, consumable condition, actual voltage and speeds :lol:
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Kerf width depends on the material thickness, the cut speed and the cut height as well as the consumables you are using. Generally I would expect:

.024" on 22 gauge, .043" on 18 gauge, .049" on 14 gauge, .051 on 10 gauge, .056" on 3/16".

Generally the kerf with the 30 amp parts will be about .006" to .010" narrower than with the Finecut consumables.

Jim Colt
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

I cut CR 16ga steel at 86v .040" arc gap, .1" pierce, set to 30 amps and run at 85 IPM using the unshielded consumables for the Hypertherm T30v torch on my Hypertherm PM45 T45v hand torch. We tried running this setup a 175 IPM but actually got better results running at 85 to 90 IPM with this particular CR steel. Have been getting good results. I like running these consumables for several reasons. 1. I can run continuous 100% duty cycle on the PM45 at amp settings under 32 amps. 2. I like the finer narrow kerf for our signs and artwork. CNC table with water tub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCGO1P2gQUY

Jim Colt mentioned earlier in a post I read somewhere that Hypertherm may be coming out with a shielded finer cut consumables that can be used on the PM45 T45 torches. This would be great for those of us cutting lighter gauge materials.
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

Bigdogbro1 wrote:I cut CR 16ga steel at 86v .040" arc gap, .1" pierce, set to 30 amps and run at 85 IPM using the unshielded consumables for the Hypertherm T30v torch on my Hypertherm PM45 T45v hand torch. We tried running this setup a 175 IPM but actually got better results running at 85 to 90 IPM with this particular CR steel. Have been getting good results. I like running these consumables for several reasons. 1. I can run continuous 100% duty cycle on the PM45 at amp settings under 32 amps. 2. I like the finer narrow kerf for our signs and artwork. CNC table with water tub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCGO1P2gQUY

Jim Colt mentioned earlier in a post I read somewhere that Hypertherm may be coming out with a shielded finer cut consumables that can be used on the PM45 T45 torches. This would be great for those of us cutting lighter gauge materials.
Now your talking - Give the consumers what they are wanting. That's what supply and demand is all about, right? It seems like a simple and reasonable request to me. If they can make fine cut consumables for the 30 amp torch why couldn't they design and manufacture ones for any size torch?
I am really new to all of this but my cut profile out of the box for the thickness of metal that I choose to start out with which was 12 gauge mild steel, according to my profile for that I uploaded into Sheetcam it says my kerf width would be .052". The reason I care about this is that some of my inside cuts in some of the artwork I came up with would be to close for this width. I measured some of the slots using the ruler in Sheetcam and it was coming up with a slot width I was looking to cut to be more like .032" Thus my desire for a smaller width kerf. Most of the art I see for sale on eBay seems to have thin cuts in the designs, how can I accomplish that with my setup? I can see from your statements that I still have lots to learn about the other aspects such as speed and torch height and voltage as well. BTW - Why do you like using the CR steel, it costs a lot more $$$ doesn't it?
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by davek0974 »

CR is great to work with, easier to weld as well, I use both but CR is now my favourite choice.

Thin cuts are very difficult with plasma, you will also have to deal with the round pierce hole at one end too, I tend to try and work these into the job somehow. On a 45A cut these can be pretty large sometimes but just have to work with it.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”